Ultra Runners

White River 50 (Read 309 times)

xor

WR50, a 50 miler near Mt Rainier, is Saturday (7/28).

As the RD says every year just before the race.  "It's just two climbs..." (points to mountain) "that one..." (turns to point to different mountain) "...and that one."

Elevation graph/chart.

Bhearn and I will be there.  Bhearn is getting ready for the Cascade Crest 100 in August.  I? Have no excuse.  I am enjoying retirement.  Smalcolm's husband will be running it too.

I ran this race in 2008 and, finishing almost DFL 30 minutes before cut-off (12:30 total time, 13 hour cut-off), swore "never again".

Here is my race report from that year.

Of course, being a man of my word, I returned in 2011.  With 3 years of high mileage, knowledge of the course, and more brains in general, did I knock it out of the park?  Oh hellllll no.  But I did a little better (11:40). There was some major snow in 2011.

No idea about this year. Ha.  No snow though.

bhearn

This was my first ultra, also in 2008, the year srlopez first ran it. It totally kicked my ass.

I keep meaning to make it back and get my revenge. This is finally the year.

Only problem is an iffy left Achilles. It's been iffy since the week before Western States. Wasn't a problem there, or Foot Traffic Flat Marathon 10 days later, or Golden Gate Trail Run 50K another 10 days later. But it hasn't gone away. Might be getting a bit worse. My new awesome sports massage person beat the hell out of my left calf today. Hmm. That's good, right?

Here is my race report. Wow. I haven't looked at that in a long time. I guess I don't really write race reports anymore these days.

xor

Bhearn did well.

srlopez did not.

Mr smalcolm looked like he was doing great to me, but I dunno what his goal was.

Our friend Sage C won his first 50 miler ever and set a course record in the process, 6:16.  Which is something on that course.

I wonder if this means I have to go back again.

No.

bhearn

I got the White River monkey off my back, 9:47:29. Beat my 2008 time by two hours and three seconds. But it's still a damn hard course.

No.

But, but... Kristen says you have to both finish in the same year.

MTA I'm not really sure I need to go back either. It is a beautiful course, but I'm not sure I'll ever be sufficiently trained to run it without it hurting like hell. My first 100 was way less painful.

DoppleBock

Sage C - That was definately something - Wow

Sorry your day did not go well 

Bhearn did well.

srlopez did not.

Mr smalcolm looked like he was doing great to me, but I dunno what his goal was.

Our friend Sage C won his first 50 miler ever and set a course record in the process, 6:16.  Which is something on that course.

No.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

bhearn

Sage C - That was definately something - Wow

That was Tony Krupicka's CR, that he beat by almost 10 minutes. Oh yeah, and the course added a couple hundred feet of elevation this year. This performance is comparable to Tim Olson at Western States. Except that Olson had run 100 miles before!