Ultra Runners

Indiana trail 100 (Read 721 times)

Ostrich runner

First race next year http://indianatrail100.com/ I will do either the 100 or the 50, depends on how the year goes. Likely my first go at either.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Interesting.  Any idea how hilly/technical this trail system is?  I would definitely consider the 50 but not sure I'd want to do my first 100 at an inaugural race.

Ostrich runner

Mostly single track, there are changes in grade that only a Midwesterner would call a hill. They're the same trails that the Huff 50k was on last year. I think it's some of the same people involved...if it is that's a good thing as Huff is a very well organized race.

xor

If'n I'm going to be knee deep in a creek, I'd rather do that in April than December.  I think.

Feeling the growl again

If I continue to suck at re-finding my speed, I could be convinced to take this as my first crack at 100.  I WILL have a 50 under my belt by then.  Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Spaniel, you still on for DPR 50?  I'm now thinking about signing up myself.  It's two weeks after Milwaukee marathon but who knows how the weather will be and if it is crap Milwauke may just be a training run.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel, you still on for DPR 50?  I'm now thinking about signing up myself.  It's two weeks after Milwaukee marathon but who knows how the weather will be and if it is crap Milwauke may just be a training run.

It is still on my calendar.  It creates a sub-optimal situation for a fall marathon but given my inability to train fast in the heat I may end up just doing some shorter races and focusing on the 50, then running a marathon in Jan/Feb.  DPR is very convenient for me as I have free housing with built-in entertainment for the family only 15min away....so the wife can see me off at the start and come back to watch me finish. 

And it's close enough I may be able to scrape a crew together.

That would be neat if you run it as well.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

It is still on my calendar.  It creates a sub-optimal situation for a fall marathon but given my inability to train fast in the heat I may end up just doing some shorter races and focusing on the 50, then running a marathon in Jan/Feb.  DPR is very convenient for me as I have free housing with built-in entertainment for the family only 15min away....so the wife can see me off at the start and come back to watch me finish. 

And it's close enough I may be able to scrape a crew together.

That would be neat if you run it as well.

Aren't you a multi-marathon vet?  Go for the 50!

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)

Feeling the growl again

Aren't you a multi-marathon vet?  Go for the 50!

Yes, a marathon is only worth doing if I can get back to doing it reasonably fast (low-2:30s).  If not I'd rather do the 50 for the new experience.  I tried this same 50 last year on almost no training...but still went for sub-6...and DNFed around 36-37 miles when some muscle cramping caused my knee to track funny and I didn't want to do it any damage just to finish.  So this year is payback.

Ostrich runner

A 25k purse has been announced for anyone that can break either the men's or women's 100 mile U.S. record. For the men, that's 12:44. I've heard that they've extended that also for women, but I don't see confirmation yet.

DoppleBock

I believe it would take a greater level of fitness to break the record (12:44:35) in the 100 mile race than 7 hours in a 100k

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I believe it would take a greater level of fitness to break the record (12:44:35) in the 100 mile race than 7 hours in a 100k

I would give myself higher (but still very low) odds on making the US National Team at 100K next spring than of winning that 25K purse.

7:3x pace sounds easy for the first, oh, 60 or so miles...on flat ground.

Ostrich runner

If'n I'm going to be knee deep in a creek, I'd rather do that in April than December.  I think.

The organizers have said that the course is designed such that there aren't any water hazards. www.indianatrailrunning.com will be giving away a couple free entries soon.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Still thinking about this one.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

How do you enter the contest?