Ultra Runners

Has anyone run the American River 50 before? (Read 602 times)

xor

This is like a baby version of Jerry's "kit" thread, but I didn't want to derail it.  Serious people in here.

I'm running AR50 on Saturday (eek, day after tomorrow).  So is arlahile, though I dunno if she checks in with this group.  Just as some quick aside, this will be my 40th ultra, so I'm not asking the following question as a newbie.  More the opposite... "what am I missing..."

AR50 is 25ish miles bike path, 25ish miles single track.  The aid stations are generally 4-5 miles apart, except for one 6.5 mile gap early on (bike path part).  In fact, toward the end, the gaps are less than 3 miles.

Ok.  Close your eyes and consider your hydration strategy.  Me? I'm going to carry a handheld.

Which brings me to the official recommendation on their site:

===

We highly recommend you carry two water bottles.

===

Two bottles!  Highly recommend?! Am I missing something important?

I have not gallowalked the AR50, but I know fatozzg ran it last year.

Perhaps she will chime in.

Just wanted to say good luck

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

This is like a baby version of Jerry's "kit" thread, but I didn't want to derail it.  Serious people in here.

I'm running AR50 on Saturday (eek, day after tomorrow).  So is arlahile, though I dunno if she checks in with this group.  Just as some quick aside, this will be my 40th ultra, so I'm not asking the following question as a newbie.  More the opposite... "what am I missing..."

AR50 is 25ish miles bike path, 25ish miles single track.  The aid stations are generally 4-5 miles apart, except for one 6.5 mile gap early on (bike path part).  In fact, toward the end, the gaps are less than 3 miles.

Ok.  Close your eyes and consider your hydration strategy.  Me? I'm going to carry a handheld.

Which brings me to the official recommendation on their site:

===

We highly recommend you carry two water bottles.

===

Two bottles!  Highly recommend?! Am I missing something important?

Maybe just in case they don't have water at one point? Anyway I'd do just the one handheld JMO

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Imminent Catastrophe

Maybe just in case they don't have water at one point? 

That won't happen. The RD Julie Fingar is very good and most of the aid station folks are Western States workers too. SNER (same RD) had the most awesome aid stations ever. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

I'm not worried about them being out of water.  From what I gather elsewhere, it is more a CYA "just in case" announcement (including conditions like what you mention, aid station being out of water, but they won't be).  Also, some years the race can be amazingly hot.  I didn't consider that because this year will be 38-60.  For a year when it is 80, I can see why they'd mention it.

I contrast this to the past weekend's Brew to Brew 44 miler.  It really WAS 90+ degrees with similarly gapped aid stations and at no point in all the emails and bulletins did they ever advise people how to handle hydration.  In fact, they specifically told solo runners that there'd be no bag drops during the race, but not to worry about it because the aid stations would be fine.  7 of the 9 aid stations were fine.  The other 2 had been pillaged by relayers.

Edited to add: perfesser posted while I was writing this one.  Same folks do Way Too Cool as well.  Yup, best aid stations imaginable.

That was the only reason TO ME that I could think of. 99 % of the ultra's I've done have been 80 +  (only one was cold) and I've never done more than one hand held bottle even when there was 12.5 miles between aid stations with a water stop half way. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Imminent Catastrophe

On that subject, at Tahoe it's 10 miles between aid stations at one point. From the website:

"...It will be very important to have the ability to carry at least 50-70 oz to make it this far..."

That's more than 2 bottles. Of course it's a very dry climate at high altitude on gnarly trails at midday in July, but something to think about. 

(After writing that, I'm wondering why I signed up for that beating)

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

(After writing that, I'm wondering why I signed up for that beating)

You and me both.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Good Luck srlopez!

xor

Well now here's a head scratcher.  AR50 is half road, half single track.  In years past, many people have switched shoes in the middle (which is why I brought two pair).  It was highly suggested to wear trail shoes for the second half.

It looks like we're using D-tags this year.  The kind that attach to your shoe.

I guess nobody can switch shoes this year.  (??)

Maybe they only have a mat at the finish and I put it on my 2nd pair of shoes.  I'm really puzzled.

EDITED TO ADD THE ANSWER: The answer is rather obvious.  You make the little hoop out of the d-tag, but instead of sliding it under your laces, you just tie it under your top laces (and hope your shoe doesn't come untied).  I am obviously a short course road person. 

Sorry I didn't get in here before now, so I'm a day late and a dollar short.  But GOOD LUCK, SRL!!!

FWIW - I changed shoes last year.  Took a couple of extra zip ties, and my crew made the switch for me.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

I didn't have a crew, nor zip ties (d-tags don't come with these).  Sure enough, after some muddin and creekin, my shoe came untied and I almost lost my d-tag.  But didn't.

That's one weird race.

All done now.

All done now.

Nice work.

What made the race weird?

RE: the timing chip thing.  I did a 50 miler in February (well some of it) that also used timing chips.  They also advertised the river crossing indicating you will get your feet wet, but that your drop bag is available almost immediately after the crossing so you can change shoes.  I had decided to not changes shoes because I couldn't figure out how to change the tag and just didn't want to mess with it.  About 10 minutes before the start the RD announced that you did not need your chip on when crossing by the finish area until the actual finish (it's a loop course that went by several times).  I almost changed shows then and just left my tag on the shoes to change into but didn't want to mess with it.  Then right before the race started he reiterated you only need your tag at the finish,  and also the start...

xor

Not bad weird, just "unlike" any other race I've ever done.

20 mile warm up on flat roads.

27 mile trail marathon with some challenging sections.

3 mile hill climb that felt like a mountain race at M47.

Really interesting mix.

I had been led to believe that it was going to be 25 miles on flat road, 22 miles on easy peasy trail, and the 3 mile hill.  I hit trail before I was expecting it, and the trail chunk was a lot more interesting (in a good way, not TOO hard) than I was expecting.

The last 20ish miles by the lake were AMAZING.

Aside from the creepy lady who kept squatting beside the trail (I don't normally care, but DAMN, she would squat in front of the bush instead of going 3 feet behind the bush... and then she'd leave her toilet paper there... and I had to avert my eyes from her twice) and the dude who decided to rap along with whatever was going on in his headphones (the lyrics involved GANJA GANJA! at random intervals... and I was stuck in the conga line and couldn't escape him for 15 minutes), it was a perfect day.  Well, I was slower than I wanted to be.  But that's my fault.

I had been led to believe . . . . 22 miles on easy peasy trail

Whoever that person was must be a monster when it comes to trail running.  And yes, that last 3 miles is like adding insult to injury.  I had to walk the entire thing  Could be just one of the reason I came in DFL. Hm . . . .

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance