Ultra Runners

Ice Age 50 miler (Read 69 times)

DoppleBock

Sweet!

6 AM

Partly Cloudy

42°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>38°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>89%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>20%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>SW at 7 mph</dd></dl>

7 AM

Partly Cloudy

44°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>39°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>86%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>20%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>WSW at 8 mph</dd></dl>

8 AM

Partly Cloudy

47°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>42°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>77%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>20%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>WSW at 11 mph</dd></dl>

9 AM

Partly Cloudy

49°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>43°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>71%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>10%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>WNW at 15 mph</dd></dl>

10 AM

Partly Cloudy

52°

Partly Cloudy

<dl><dt>FEELS LIKE:</dt><dd>46°</dd></dl><dl><dt>HUMIDITY:</dt><dd>61%</dd></dl><dl><dt>PRECIP:</dt><dd>10%</dd></dl><dl><dt>WIND:</dt><dd>NW at 19 mph</dd></dl>

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Dubuquer

I'll add Mark Thompson as someone to watch.  He ran a 3:48 50k in 6" of snow at Hawkeye a few months back and runs a 2:40ish marathon.  I don't think he'll be challenging Zach B. but a top 10 spot is certainly possible.

DoppleBock

My guess is that there will be 5 guys under 7 and 5-7 more under 7:30.  Likely a sub 6:15 to win.

I also think it will take a at least a 7:15 on the ladies side to win.

DoppleBock

<select><option value="5" />5 <option value="10" />10 <option selected="selected" value="15" />15</select>

at

<select><option selected="selected" value="TIME" />FINISH</select>

Male Participants
          1. David Riddle 5:56:46
          2. Brian Condon 6:07:49
          3. Zach Bitter 6:08:14
          4. Matt Flaherty 6:10:32
          5. Mike Bialick 6:18:21
          6. Josh Brimhall 6:25:51
          7. Scott Breeden 6:27:42
          8. Jeff Browning 6:36:25
          9. Matthew Urbanski 6:44:12
          10. Mark Thompson 6:53:46
          11. Jason Schatz 7:02:23
          12. Kevin Grabowski 7:03:23
          13. Ben Vanhoose 7:14:51
          14. Jeff Curtin 7:18:42
          15. Mike Dietz 7:19:52
          Female Participants
          1. Cassandra Scallon 6:46:38
          2. Denise Bourassa 7:53:26
          3. Lee Conner 8:36:07
          4. Christine Crawford 8:40:04
          5. Alisha Damrow 8:55:48
          6. Wendy Miller 8:57:23
          7. Shelley Cook 9:04:29
          8. Jen Burton 9:05:48
          9. Rachel Burke 9:21:37
          10. Farah Stewart 9:38:03
          11. Merry McCoul 9:41:21
          12. Tammy Hunter 9:43:55
          13. Sonya Decker 9:44:45
          14. Jaime Hardgrove 9:50:20
          15. Christa Petryszyn

9:59:29

DoppleBock

Scallon smoke the lady's record by 20 minutes and nearest woman by over an hour - Total world domination

Riddle came within @ 3 minutes of the record

all top 10 men under 7 hours

Brownie 8th place

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

2nd and 3rd men.... wow.  that must have been fun to watch at the end.

• Black Canyon 100k
              • RRR
              • Zane Grey 100k
              • High Lonesome 100
              • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
              • The Bear 100
              • Javelina Jundred (?)
              DoppleBock

It was also for that coveted spot at Western States - 2 Wisconsin boys battling it out

2nd and 3rd men.... wow.  that must have been fun to watch at the end.

DoppleBock

There is a big hill @ 2.5 miles before the finish (Big by WI standards) then at 2 miles you go down the hill, cross the road and 1.5 miles of rolling double track to the finish ... I could see the possibility of place #2- #4 being decided in this section

The leaders went out crazy fast.  Way faster than last year.  I saw Cassie maybe 3 miles ahead of me when I was on sub 7 pace.

As for my race.  I just didn't have 8:23 pace in me.  I was ready for the hills but that wasn't enough.  I didn't have fueling issues, heat, or anything else I could say was a major factor.  If I am going to achieve this goal, I need to figure out how to tweak my training to be both my fastest on roads and better on hills than ever before.

Oh - and according to my wife, she just ran her first and last trail 50K.  She finished 2nd female OA with a time of 5:01:13.  She didn't even do  hill training and this is the 2nd time she ran on trails ever.

DoppleBock

Congrats to her ... I guess she wants to go in and out with a bang.  Trails / hills to hurt if you do not train on then.  Getting beat only by Meghan Arbogast is a pretty good 1st trail 50k!

Oh - and according to my wife, she just ran her first and last trail 50K.  She finished 2nd female OA with a time of 5:01:13.  She didn't even do  hill training and this is the 2nd time she ran on trails ever.