Ultra Runners

Speed Hiking during Ultra (Read 464 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I live near mountains so I intend to work on my speed hiking / walking.  Weak spot for me last week.  Lost plenty of time.

Curious what those who do not live near mountains do?  In reality, I have a 4-5 month window to take advantage - otherwise snow.  Therefore, I need an option for the winter months (Oct - Apr). 

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Not sure how much snow you guys get (Flagstaff) in comparison to us (Boulder), but I keep hiking/running year-round. 

In the winter I just move to the lower elevation foothills, where the snowpack isn't as deep... usually just a few feet deep, at most.  Most of our trails get packed down enough from heavy use that snowshoes are rarely needed.  Traction usually is needed (screw shoes, Microspikes, Yaktrax, etc).

If your trails don't get packed down enough, you may need snowshoes (uhhgg... hate them) or you could XC/Backcountry ski.

I have no idea what I am talking about, but I feel like running/hiking stairs could be helpful. I have been trying to do that more. Thoughts?

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Imminent Catastrophe

I've been doing stairs, or elliptical machine with a weighted backpack. (The type of elliptical that you can set variable ramp angle--I set it pretty high).

Both make for a great leg workout, but I really don't know if it will help under race conditions. Can't hurt though!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kalsarikännit

I set the treadmill at a 15% incline, and go to town.  Even an easy walk is a real workout.  This is good too, because if you stick with it, you see real improvement every week.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I set the treadmill at a 15% incline, and go to town.  Even an easy walk is a real workout.  This is good too, because if you stick with it, you see real improvement every week.

Do you think 30 minutes, 2x a week would help? Or, does one need to go longer / more often?

(I'm imagining this is something I could add to my mix of lunch-time workouts.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Kalsarikännit

Do you think 30 minutes, 2x a week would help? Or, does one need to go longer / more often?

(I'm imagining this is something I could add to my mix of lunch-time workouts.)

I would assume this would work.  I did find that I have to start it off slowly, because it really gets to my achilles.  When I am being consistant with it (which I am not, right now, and have WS100 in two mos ), I do it for an hour once a week.  I try "running" for four minutes and walking for one.  The "running" is at something like 3.4 mph, which you can walk at, but just that running motion gives you a REALLY tough workout.  Of course I am a really flat flat-lander, so that may not be that tough for most people.

I bet your way would be even better.  I find myself pretty sore from my way, and I never have a good run the next day.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I would assume this would work.  I did find that I have to start it off slowly, because it really gets to my achilles.  When I am being consistant with it (which I am not, right now, and have WS100 in two mos ), I do it for an hour once a week.  I try "running" for four minutes and walking for one.  The "running" is at something like 3.4 mph, which you can walk at, but just that running motion gives you a REALLY tough workout.  Of course I am a really flat flat-lander, so that may not be that tough for most people.

I bet your way would be even better.  I find myself pretty sore from my way, and I never have a good run the next day.

Perhaps starting at 30 x 2/week and move up to 60 x2/week.

My plan is to do it 3x week in addition to running; however, will be strictly walking at 15% incline with goal for speed to increase. 

Again, found that I was using different muscle groups to walk than running.  Mentally bothersome to feel sore when walking as much or more so than when doing the Ultra Shuffle (run).

I just ordered my TM today so anxious to get going at home in a couple weeks.

• Black Canyon 100k
                  • RRR
                  • Zane Grey 100k
                  • High Lonesome 100
                  • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                  • The Bear 100
                  • Javelina Jundred (?)
                  Buzzie

Bacon Party!

WrigleyGirl - Thanks for the insight. I suspect the most important thing for me will be consistency. And, seeing as I'm NOT a treadmill fan (actually, an avid avoider), I suspect 2x30min will be more likely to happen than 1x60min - seems more manageable in small bites. (Over time, I might push it up to 45min - about all that I can squeeze in during lunch.)

Made my first stab at it today. (Just walking; which is fine because I need more walking.)

Nearly took a header after I got off - walking rapidly "downhill" across the gym floor. 

We'll see what happens after a couple weeks...

Liz

pace sera, sera