Ultra Runners

Hall Pass (Read 539 times)

I am looking for a 100 miler in the Domestic US for 2012 that is a non-lottery race. If you could do any one, what would you do?

Right now I am thinking Leadville.

What are you looking for (terrain, scenery, location, etc)?

Leadville would be my last choice, as far as western US races is concerned.  

DoppleBock

That is what I was wondering - Give us a few criteria.  I only did Leadville 1st because I had friends doing Leadville.

The one I will do second is this one

http://fall.superiortrailrace.com/

I believe Superior 100 will be more beautiful and gratifying to my soul.

But if I wanted something close I would do this

http://www.kettle100.com/

Sleep in my own bed - Easy to get crew and pacers

I would love to do Vermont or Massnutten

For me Leadville was too big, I have no reason to fight elevation as the primary limiter of performance (I live at sea level) - Logistically it was not that bad - Fly into Denver and drive a couple of hours.  It was harder on my crew to get in and out of aide stations.

A good listing

http://www.run100s.com/

or by month or location

http://barefootrunninguniversity.com/ultrasbydistance.html#100_Miles

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jjameson

Other than the "mystique" of Leadville there is no reason to do it.  I've done it once.  The only interesting thing about it is Hope Pass.  If you want great scenery and mountains there are many other ultras.  The only other mountain ultra I've done is Tahoe (50k)  they have 50m and 100m races.  MUCH prettier and cooler than Leadville!

Joe

You'll ruin your knees!

I have done, and would do again... 1) Bighorn 2) Cactus Rose 3) Cascade Crest 4) Bear 5) Rocky Raccoon Would attempt Hardrock over all of those but it is a lottery. I have not done Superior, but have been the course and it is freaking awesome, definately above Rocky for me. Still, not sure how to answer you without more input on what you like. I would only consider Leadville in a Slam effort.

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Carl A

Even though it's got no lottery, odds are you won't find what you're seeking at Viaduct.

If there even is a Viaduct Ultra in 2012. Parts of the course have been washed away downstream and are now happily at rest somewhere in the Atlantic.

We're working on a reroute, but it's bound to be just as ugly a course, probably worse.

So anyway you should probably cross that one off the list right now.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I haven't been there but I'm kind of suprised at the all the Leadville bashing.  Was it too crowded?

The only one I've done is Tahoe and would definitely recommend it.

MTA:  Ultrailz,  how am I supposed to pronounce or read your screen name?

DoppleBock

Not bashing Leadville - Just deflecting some of the glory mongoring.

Only part that I would say was crowded was the 1st section around the lake - not really any way to pass and I felt like if I stopped to walk it was hard to let people by.  After that It is not crowed as in you can not do what ever you want - Just busy as in you never feel alone.

I think looking to elevated mountain ultras for 1st 100 is interesting if one lives at sea level.  I can go to Superior 100 and test myself on a brutal course with nasty rocks and roots - relentless climbs and breath taking beauty.  With 20k of ascent and 21k of decent it will test anyone.  100% on single track - 50-100 people on the 100 mile course - Nothing but you and nature.  I can train on similar trails in WI.  Aide stations are 5 people in a trail parking lot.  But I do not have to test myself against all those difficult things and add in low oxygen.

Or Leadville

Huge crowds - Aide Stations are like cities - Mountains are beautiful.  Trail generaly is non-technical - Climbs / decents are massive - I do not have anything like it to train on in WI.  The trip over hope pass was amazing - The start up along the beautiful cascading river - Then as you get above the tree line the lamas that brought the supplies in.  The road after the pass into the aide stations was bumber to bumber cars trying to get to the aide stations - dust and fumes for 2+ miles.  I really liked the town of Leadville - Historic - easy to navigate - friendly.

I am sorry if I came off as anti-Leadville.  I just think there are gems out there in everyones back yard + I think Cgerber's point is that there are gems out west that are as good or better than Leadville.  Leadville is like the boston marathon @ 10,000= feet - everyone wants to run it.

I haven't been there but I'm kind of suprised at the all the Leadville bashing.  Was it too crowded?

The only one I've done is Tahoe and would definitely recommend it.

MTA:  Ultrailz,  how am I supposed to pronounce or read your screen name?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Leadville has the mystique and the giant PR engine, but not really the substance to back it up, from what I've seen.  (I've run it once and crewed/paced 4 times).

- Due to new Wilderness Areas and re-routes over the years, it's now mostly roads (jeep, dirt, and paved). The only trail is around Turquoise Lake (7 miles), from Mayqueen to Hagerman Pass Rd (2.5 miles), the CT between Halfmoon and Twin Lakes (~4 miles?), and Hope Pass (7 miles).   So less than 40 miles of trail in a 100 mile race in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.  I found that fairly disappointing.

- 750 people makes for a really crowded first 13 miles or so

- 750 people makes it extremely hard on your crew at some points, such as Mayqueen out, Fish Hatchery out, and Winfield.  Winfield is a complete *disaster*... they really need to disallow crewing from there.

- It's highly profit-motivated and profit-driven, so I feel they tend to skimp on a lot of stuff, like the aid station fare. 

I've run Leadville once (it was my first 100 miler) and I will never run it again. 

Races I've done, loved and would do again (and again and again):

1. Hardrock (this one is #1 on my list and in a league of it's own, but it's a very hard lottery)

2. Bear

3. Cascade Crest

4. Bighorn (I've paced this one twice but haven't raced it yet due to Hardrock being 2 weeks later, but it's spectacular)

5. Wasatch (lottery, but odds are pretty good)

Others that look interesting or that I've heard really good things about:

1. Tahoe (CA/NV)

2. Superior (MN)

3. Swan Crest (MT)

4. Ozark (MO)

Im looking at possibly making Burning River in Cleveland 100 my first. Close to enough people that I know that I may be able to get some support. I really, really have to get in better shape before committing to that.

Wow....I thought this was the right forum to ask.....I'll give a little more criteria.....I have an opportunity to run for an excellent foundation that typically focuses on international expeditions but I am going to run a relatively well known US ultra as a rep for them this year instead. We'll look internationally later.

We do want the opportunity for PR, but not just for the sake of it. The foundation focuses on inspiration & recovery and I think we can do that at nearly any event.

Timeframe - late summer/ early fall 2012.

Terrain - in the words of the quote from the Tahoe races, "A Glimpse of Heaven, and a Taste of Hell" that's what I am looking for.  

Location - I'm in Ohio and Wisconsin a lot, so I would like to get out west of the Mississippi, but it's not mandatory.

So, here is what I am thinking based on what you all wrote and looking at the websites.....Top 3 choices (not necessarily in order):

1. Cascade Crest 100 (WA, Aug) - this one looks amazing in the photos, Pacific NW...beautiful.
                        2. Leadville 100 - (CO, Aug Wink debatable, per Dopple Bock: "like running Boston @ 10,000', everyone wants to do it"
                        3. Superior 100 (MN, Sept)  - not out west, but sounds amazing. "rugged, relentless, remote". I think this would be my choice, if not for it's location. I still think it's top 3.

Bear 100 (Idaho - Sept) ??

Big Horn 100 (WY - June) ??

Tahoe - I think worth a consideration - looks beautiful.

Kettle Moraine - I can do this as a local race.

Hardrock - lottery

@ Steve_S - I suppose like "ULTRAILS", it's just a combo of Ultra, Trails, and 1st letter of my name.

You are all awesome for commenting.....what you you think of the top 3 ????

xor

If you land on Cascade, be at the ready when entry opens up.  This year it sold out in a few minutes (like Umstead).  I do not think it has gotten less popular.

No idea if Charlie the RD will change how entry works.  I suspect he was not excited that it went like that.

Mishka-old log

Im looking at possibly making Burning River in Cleveland 100 my first. Close to enough people that I know that I may be able to get some support. I really, really have to get in better shape before committing to that.

I'm looking at the same race for a first 100 next year, as well. Just a 2 hour drive for me. Should be "fun".

Burning river was held July 28th last year.  From what I recall it got pretty hot and humidity was high.  If you are okay with the heat this may not be a problem, but otherwise similar to DB's point of view on low oxygen in leadville, I would not want to sign up for a race knowing the heat would be the primary limiting factor.