Ultra Runners

Wrigley and all who have tried Hokas (Read 482 times)

valerienv

Thread killer ..

I have run in Mindbenders for the last couple years and bought a pair of Hoka Mafate to wear after a recent knee surgery . The Hokas are super friendly to my knee but I don't feel the trail at all . So far my longest run is @1.25 miles in them on a level dirt road ( I'm 6 1/2 weeks post surgery ) so I can't speak for any distance . I don't think I will stick with them after my knee is sound again,  I feel like not being able to feel what's under my foot will cause me problems on anything technical . I did buy them without trying them on , no one in town had them . They are very wide ( womens ) and roomy , you do not feel like you are riding high in them but they do feel almost springy, somewhat like running on rubber mats at the gym , they are lighter than my Mindbenders . They are pretty stiff and do not bend much so even though they are light they give the feel of heavy shoe that protects your foot .

I wear a womens 7 in the Mindbenders and bought a 7 in the ( woman specific )Hokas , I like to wear the heavy Smart Wool PhD hiking sock and there is plenty of room for them .

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Thanks very much, valerianv.  And good luck with the rehab of your knee!

steph  

I have run in Mindbenders for the last couple years and bought a pair of Hoka Mafate to wear after a recent knee surgery . The Hokas are super friendly to my knee but I don't feel the trail at all . So far my longest run is @1.25 miles in them on a level dirt road ( I'm 6 1/2 weeks post surgery ) so I can't speak for any distance . I don't think I will stick with them after my knee is sound again,  I feel like not being able to feel what's under my foot will cause me problems on anything technical . I did buy them without trying them on , no one in town had them . They are very wide ( womens ) and roomy , you do not feel like you are riding high in them but they do feel almost springy, somewhat like running on rubber mats at the gym , they are lighter than my Mindbenders . They are pretty stiff and do not bend much so even though they are light they give the feel of heavy shoe that protects your foot .

I wear a womens 7 in the Mindbenders and bought a 7 in the ( woman specific )Hokas , I like to wear the heavy Smart Wool PhD hiking sock and there is plenty of room for them .

Thanks! I wear smart wools also, including the heavy ones in winter.

One of the things that caught my attention in the store was the way the shoe encouraged my foot to roll forward. It was a Tarmac and a bit big, but just wanted to get a feeling for what the shoe felt like. I'm intending to use these mostly on gravel roads or similar surface - so that I don't feel all the sharp angles of the coarse gravel.

I'm thinking Zappo's may get some business from me sometime soon.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        toyger

I've tried both the Hoka Bondi B's and Stinson Evo's, and I like them both. I use Evo's when I'm out on trails and Bondi B's for the road. My experience has been good. They have helped save my legs from all the pounding on longer runs. They seem to run a little big on me though. A size 7 fits me in Hokas, but I need a 7.5 in regular road shoes (Adrenalines).

Jen

I've tried both the Hoka Bondi B's and Stinson Evo's, and I like them both. I use Evo's when I'm out on trails and Bondi B's for the road. My experience has been good. They have helped save my legs from all the pounding on longer runs. They seem to run a little big on me though. A size 7 fits me in Hokas, but I need a 7.5 in regular road shoes (Adrenalines).

Thanks. That sizing is consistent with valerienv. I use 9.5 Adrenaline ASR's but 9 in Mindbenders and Badrocks.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog