Ultra Runners

June 2018 Ultramarathon thread (Read 35 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm slacking off in my self assumed responsibilities. Here's the new thread for June.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RWD

WCR, to answer your question from the May thread, FANS is very low key so there will be no way to stalk! If there's lightning maybe I'll get online while sheltering in my tent. Courtney Dauwalter will be running the 12 hour and it looks like her husband and mom are running the 24.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WCR, to answer your question from the May thread, FANS is very low key so there will be no way to stalk! If there's lightning maybe I'll get online while sheltering in my tent. Courtney Dauwalter will be running the 12 hour and it looks like her husband and mom are running the 24.

I noticed the names when I was writing the race preview for one of the FB ultra groups and wondered what the relationship was.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Bert-o

I lost my rama

RWD - Good Luck at FANS!!!  And slap Courtney in the arse when you pass her.  BTW - which time are you in for again?

WC - Which ultra FB group is it?

TH - I read through your "short" list of items and I saw charger listed three times, but I only saw two electronic items, your phone and GPS watch.  Am I missing something, or are you planning for backup for the backup? 

dhuffman - How's your back been?  For the 12 hour race, if you're driving there, it won't hurt just to bring the tent.  You might be able to pitch it much closer to the course than parking your car.  If the car is close enough, then no biggie.

I'm one of our team's all starts for the miles game next week.  I'm going to try something dumb ambitious, and do 4 runs of 25 miles each for a 100.  We'll see how it goes.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

dhuffman63

Trails

Thanks for asking Bert...not sure what exactly I did but it has  not been hurting in a week now... I'm averaging 30 mpw...doing 5 days instead of 4...still doing my yoga stretches, we'll see how it behaves at the next 50k.

RWD good luck at FANS.

As for the "tent" I don't have one anymore (I used to do endurance with my horse and had one for that).  I'll check with the RD as to parking before I fork out $ for a tent.  I was in the Army for 4 years and got my fill of tent camping...lol.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

RWD

I noticed the names when I was writing the race preview for one of the FB ultra groups and wondered what the relationship was.

I think last year her dad and brother also ran. It's a big family thing for them, which I think is really cool!

Bert-o, I'm in it for the whole banana. 24 hours, baby! Although last year I only made it 10.5 hours, and the last half hour I was just sitting in a chair thinking about quitting.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I think last year her dad and brother also ran. It's a big family thing for them, which I think is really cool!

Bert-o, I'm in it for the whole banana. 24 hours, baby! Although last year I only made it 10.5 hours, and the last half hour I was just sitting in a chair thinking about quitting.

Good luck RW. if it's a timed event you can't quit!

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I'm one of our team's all starts for the miles game next week.  I'm going to try something dumb ambitious, and do 4 runs of 25 miles each for a 100.  We'll see how it goes.

nice! are you taking time off work for that?

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

T Hound

Slower but happier

Good luck RWD at FANS.  Looks like a blast.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

RWD

Hey guys, FANS didn't go so well - I only got 42 miles in 13 hours before calling it quits. I ended up with a blister, which I fixed, but didn't realize how badly I'd been compensating with my other foot. After changing my clothes and taking a break, I decided to quit - I just didn't want to do it anymore, slog through about a lap an hour for another 11 hours - I didn't see any way I'd be able to run anymore. Then I stood up and couldn't really put any weight on my foot, so that confirmed it was time to stop. Today I'm still not able to put any weight on it although it doesn't hurt otherwise so I'm hoping it's not something major. I'll write a real race report eventually but really it wasn't that interesting.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

nice job RW. 42 miles is a lot of miles!

i had another up and down week...or down then up. was feeling major fatigue until saturday afternoon. bailed on a lr wed. didnt know what was wrong but feel better now. did an 18 miler today, 14 with club northwest 8:30 group. almost ran into a car. i have trouble with a group crossing streets and there was no water on the run so i think my brain was broken.  too many cars. too many cars. anyway 54.5 miles and 3074' vert so not bad for a week feeling all that fatigue for days...and descents are starting to feel better and i am gradually feeling more confident. too many cars.

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

Bert-o

I lost my rama

RWD - Sorry to hear about FANS.  On the plus side, you lasted longer than last year.  I know what you mean by overcompensating with the other leg / foot, which inevitably receives most of the punishment.  Sounded like you made the right decision at that point.  Rest and recover well.  I hope it's nothing major.

dhuffman - Glad you've had a good week without back pain.  And are you suggesting you didn't enjoy your time in the army tent? 

fnky - No time off for what I'm gong for next week.  I figure if I can start around 5 or 5:30 PM after work (my route starts pretty close from work), then I should be done by 10 PM.  My wife won't be happy that I won't get home until around d 11 though, but it's only for 2 days.  It sounds like it's a jekyl and hyde affair with your running,  54 miles and 3k+ vert is a solid week, but a lot of time when you're not feeling it.  And yes, cars suck.

WC - Thanks!  I joined the FB group.

I got 53.6 miles in for the week.  Rest day tomorrow before I start my 4 x 25 experiment.  Have a great week everyone!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Hi folks. Belatedly checking in. Last weekend, I met up with some friends in Maine for the Pineland Farms 50k. A fun event, lots of other distances too. Rolling hills, great weather (50s), not very technical. Finished in 6:02 for a 31 min PR. This weekend, I was down in the eastern Sierras for the Bishop High Sierra 50k. That was a tough race, with high elevation up to 8100’, hot temps, and lots of hills to climb. Finished in 8:20, 26/44 overall, 2/5 AG.  Two very different events but enjoyed both.

RWD, that’s a bummer about your blister at FANS. But you covered a lot of miles, even if you weren’t out there as long as you hoped.  Any my thoughts about what caused the blister? Socks?  Shoes? Wet feet? Sand/grit?

Funky, that’s a lot of miles and e-gain, sounds like a good week overall even if you had some ups and downs (literally and figuratively, haha)

DHuff, I saw that you had a big mileage week, nice job.

Bert-o, good luck with the 4x25 experiment.

TM Hound, sorry no helpful comments on the packing list, I have not done anything longer than 50. But I’ll be interested in your final list (and post race thoughts on what you brought vs what you wish you’d brought).

Hi WC. Thanks for kicking off the June thread.

Not a big mileage week for me, too much time in the car, but got some quality miles yesterday at the race. Good prep for Tahoe Rim Trail 50.  Have a great week!

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

dhuffman63

Trails

Not really Bert....I was telecom and my unit was forward support for the 1st AD.  We spent 1 week every month in the field then in May and Nov another month at Hohenfels.  Since we were forward support we practiced "jumping" locations usually in the middle of the night.  All this in Germany which meant snow in the winter.  I'm a lizard at heart and don't care for the cold 

That's true Gatsby first 44 mile week.  I start training for my first 50 mile in Aug and was concerned about the 50+ mile weeks and if I could do them.  20 miles Sat and 10 today and no soreness or issues with my back.  I have my next 50k on the 23rd and feel as if it should not be an issue.  I learned my lesson about using ice and heat at the Heartland and my heat exhaustion DNF.