Ultra Runners

August 2018 Ultra training thread (Read 40 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Another month completed, hopefully with progress in training for Fall goal races. Anyone closing out August with ARFTA?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

dhuffman63

Trails

Got up at 5 am and did 3 on the hotel TM...not my favorite.

drock69

Guy I work for that does ultras did the Sri Chinmoy 24 hour in Ottawa on the weekend, just over 216km/135mi. He was on pace for 240km, but got sick in the middle of the night. He could barely walk when he finished, and someone had to help him get to the airport. He qualified for a 24hr world championships, not sure the name of the race

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Guy I work for that does ultras did the Sri Chinmoy 24 hour in Ottawa on the weekend, just over 216km/135mi. He was on pace for 240km, but got sick in the middle of the night. He could barely walk when he finished, and someone had to help him get to the airport. He qualified for a 24hr world championships, not sure the name of the race

The IAU 24 Hour World Championships are being held in Irdning, Austria, on May 11, 2019. The last opportunity for US runners to qualify for the team will be at Desert Solstice 24-hour in Phoenix on Dec 8. The qualifying period ends Dec 9th. Men must run a minimum of 145 miles, women 130 miles. Top six are selected for the team. I don't remember how many alternates are selected. Canadian runners have until February 1st to run a qualifying distance. Not sure what their minimum is.

http://www.usatf.org/Sports/MUT/Team-USA/2019-Qualification-Standards.aspx

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

drock69

The IAU 24 Hour World Championships are being held in Irdning, Austria, on May 11, 2019. The last opportunity for US runners to qualify for the team will be at Desert Solstice 24-hour in Phoenix on Dec 8. The qualifying period ends Dec 9th. Men must run a minimum of 145 miles, women 130 miles. Top six are selected for the team. I don't remember how many alternates are selected. Canadian runners have until February 1st to run a qualifying distance. Not sure what their minimum is.

http://www.usatf.org/Sports/MUT/Team-USA/2019-Qualification-Standards.aspx

I'm not sure what race he's doing, might not be world championships, I'll ask him next time I see him. He's Indian, so could be running for India as well. He ran the trail world championships in Spain a couple months back

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

RWD

I volunteered at a local trail race this evening, it was fun as always. Chris Denucci was there, which was unexpected because this is Minnesota.

T Hound

Slower but happier

BertO Enjoyed the RR.  Its not so much the 6 beers that impress me but that they were Dogfish head IPAs!  I’m not able to take the hops.  But its a good idea because it is high in carbs and calories but not sweet which gets old.  Now barrel aged stout i could do but likely would veer off course.

I think you should market BertO technical fabric running boxers and matching beer can snuggie

Happy august.  Summers flying by.

wc pardon my ignorance but what is ARFTC?

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wc pardon my ignorance but what is ARFTC?

ARFTA - A Race For the Ages is a race in which everyone 40 and over gets as many hours as they are years old to run as many miles as they can. Those under 40 get 40 hours. Staggered start times so that everyone finishes at noon on Labor Day.  It's put on by the same RD that does the Barkley Marathons and Vol States.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Bert-o

I lost my rama

WC - ARFTA is definitely an intriguing event.  I saw there are still 8 spots left.  If I were to go, my "racing debt" to DW would be near bankruptcy level.  Maybe I'll consider next year.

dhuffman - I hope your travels end soon and you can get off that TM.

TH - Thanks!  I had to choose the 60 Minute IPA for the alliteration effects of the challenge name (could there be a more stupid reason?).  Yeah, I agree in that an IPA was a pretty tough choice.  Perhaps next time, I'll come up with a mixed selection... but you're right in that the higher calories helped as I never felt depleted of energy, just exhausted from the heat.  Too funny on the boxer and snuggie idea!

RWD - You're a good soul for volunteering!  Hope summer training is going well.

I'm back into training now, but I'm not 100% sure for what.  I will probably do the Stone Mill 50 Mile, but that's 16 weeks away.  I'd like to squeeze another race in between, so I'll be on the hunt for something.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

dhuffman63

Trails

Bert...luckily last morning on the TM as we get to leave tomorrow and it's a rest day too.

T Hound

Slower but happier

ARFTA - A Race For the Ages is a race in which everyone 40 and over gets as many hours as they are years old to run as many miles as they can. Those under 40 get 40 hours. Staggered start times so that everyone finishes at noon on Labor Day.  It's put on by the same RD that does the Barkley Marathons and Vol States.

WC  Thanks for the afternoon info.  I will check it out.  I've heard of Barkley but dont know much about it.  Its kept on the down low so i never hear much hype about it.  Unfortunately I see The last Annual Vol State was held this year.  Too bad.  Will be missed...again. 🤧

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

WC  Thanks for the afternoon info.  I will check it out.  I've heard of Barkley but dont know much about it.  Its kept on the down low so i never hear much hype about it.  Unfortunately I see The last Annual Vol State was held this year.  Too bad.  Will be missed...again. 🤧

I think registration for next year is already open for Vol States.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

RWD

It was like 70F this evening when I ran and it was amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing. Especially after having a terrible, exhausting tempo run in 85F heat on Tuesday. I did set a world record for the mile on Tuesday, though, with a 2:11 mile which included me crossing the Mississippi on foot. (Freaking GPS errors - very annoying since for a tempo run I'm more interested in pace than normal.)

Bert-o, if it wasn't for volunteering, I would not have an in-person community of runner friends. I have all of you, of course, but none of us run the same races! I had NO friends who run, and so I was always showing up to races alone, feeling like an outsider, and decided to change that. When I started getting into trail/ultra running, I decided to see what it was all about by volunteering at Superior 100. I worked the finish line and it was incredible. I was hooked and determined to run it one day. Now some of the strangers I handed medals to are my friends, and when I show up to races, people know me and welcome me, and I make a point to try to meet new people each time.

T Hound

Slower but happier

re Vol State

I was just down in Tennessee, i didnt think it could be more humid then what weve had, boy was i wrong.  Nothing dried.  Vol State sounds challenging.  Not up for it...yet.   I would rather spend the time in mountains there with some shade/a little cooling altitude.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

re Vol State, ARFTA etc

that has always seemed to me to be a whole other level of running to aspire to. going for whatever amount of miles in one day is one thing but getting going the next day is something else. when i sleep after running more than 30 miles my legs go into recovery mode. how do you break them out of that and say "nope we have to get going again"?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24