Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 September 22-23 (Read 598 times)

I'm in for another round.  My expectations are high(er) for this one. Im receovered from May and back from a week of vacation, and ready to hit the pavement with fresh legs. Not planning real crazy miles--just consistant ramping up between now and the race...which would be more than Ive done for the prior two.

Who else is planning on coming to Cleveland in September?

It is not a National Championship race--and it will be run by the same group that put on last September's race.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm thinking about it because I enjoyed the course, but they will need to make some assurances on lap counting ... not interested in being gypped, misinformed, and/or waylaid because of their incompetence again. How many times have they failed at this most basic service? 

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

24 hour racing is silly

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I'm thinking about it because I enjoyed the course, but they will need to make some assurances on lap counting ... not interested in being gypped, misinformed, and/or waylaid because of their incompetence again. How many times have they failed at this most basic service? 

As far as I know, nobody that ran the Spring event is involved in the Fall event. They had a local running club run the Spring event and they used an unknown (to me and others) timing company. There were no real issues with the timing last fall (HasherRick did the timing) - there was a small glitch where the system was down but it was corrected after 1-2 laps and splits were quickly corrected as well.

24 hour racing is silly

of course it is. See you there? You should get an early effort at 2013 qualification Smile Hope you are doing well.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Didn't realize the "old" organizers would be back for September ... I had just thought there was a changing of the guard (with a mix of old and new people running the May race).

Still, they've had problems in the past (however minor) and May was a total cluster ... they'd do well to acknowledge such. Or admit that they're only doing it as a fun run so potential entrants can make well-informed decisions.

Will go check out the site and see if they're at least providing seemingly current and accurate information (or if it's all still a confusing mish-mash of May/Sept info that they couldn't bother to proofread or edit).

Liz

pace sera, sera

On On

timing 24 hour racing is silly

On On

We have made a decision to not go back as the timers for several reasons.  Not sure who they are going to use.  They have not used the same timer twice.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Thanks for that bit of intel, Rick.

I did read through the race info and it does appear to have been updated (and with a bit of clarification added). At some point, I'll send an inquiry re my concern over lap counting/timing - system to be used, redundancy, availability of splits (nice to have, not a must).

Just trying to figure out how/where I'm going to spend my racing money and not-insignificant training & racing efforts. 

Liz

pace sera, sera

I don't blame you, Buzzie. Nc24 is very convenient for me. Dad lives 10 minutes away and have support there. For next spring I will probably run the O24 which is also near Cleveland. They got the short end of the weather last year, but by all accounts it was a great event. I dont mind asking the timing question on the NC24 Facebook page.

lookd like Heidi (the Spring RD) is actually involved with the Fall event. My only issue with the Spring was the timing (yeah..a big issue..and bigger for those of you going for records and much bigger mileage than I was putting up). Here's her response to my inquiry on FB. So, I think you are right, buzzie with just a mix of the roles.

Derek, there will be 3 systems in place starting this fall. A chip system which we are still in process of choosing. There will be a video feed of the starting line to capture each runner each lap on video as a backup. And there will  And there will also be a more detailed manual paper count in place as a third source of data.be a more detailed manual paper count in place as a third source of data. So we should have all bases covered. Since this course seems to like to bring out record setting performances multi source data is going to be ever more important for future races.

and from Dan..(I think he is the RD this time?)

Yes, what Heidi said. We will publish even more detailed information regarding our timing for everyone's reassurance in the near future. Please stay tuned. Thanks for bringing this up!

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Wow ... Thanks for doing that Derek!

Sounds like things are looking up.

Funny the bit about "course seems to like to bring out record setting performances" ... it's in their "about this race" info that it was intended to do so. Roll eyes

Liz

pace sera, sera

On On

Funny the bit about "course seems to like to bring out record setting performances" ... it's in their "about this race" info that it was intended to do so. Roll eyes

They built that course and that event so Connie could break the American record.  A female did break the record, it just wasn't Connie.

I am under the assumption that there is no way that the record will be ratified based on the criteria that DB or someone else spelled out in here before. There was no backup count or video.

On On

I am under the assumption that there is no way that the record will be ratified based on the criteria that DB or someone else spelled out in here before. There was no backup count or video.

Based on what I have heard went on (I wasn't there) and based on knowing the criteria (Phil McCarthy's record at our event was ratified) I would agree with you that they are going to have trouble getting her record ratified.  That is really to bad.  It will still be listed in the official document kept by Andy Carr but with a little note next to it saying "not ratifiable".