Ultra Runners

North Coast 24 September 22-23 (Read 598 times)

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Exactly! And especially sad considering their allegedly original intent with the race. They should have been all over those requirements. (I've heard the Connie story more than once, just didn't want to present it as fact.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

additional response from John the co RD. They are saying the right things..

As Dan said, we'll have more information on this issue in the relatively near future. The experience at the Spring race has taught us that we need (1) more control over the timing process and (2) redundancy. Hopefully, the manual backup (which will also be computerized, not paper) and the video will be 100% unnecessary, but better safe than sorry. All three systems will independently be capable of producing the detail of results we need (i.e., overall times and lap splits).

NC24 is nothing without its integrity and its accuracy of results. We want every last runner -- from the fastest runners with an eye on national/world records, to those who are trying to meet their own personal goals -- to have 100% confidence that their results are going to be recorded accurately, reliably, and timely. I assure you that this fall, we're going to go a long way towards regaining that confidence

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Thanks, Murphy ... it's sounding like they do actually care and are doing something about it. Triple redundancy. (Or, is it double? I'll have to ask the Department of Redundancy Department.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

John Hnat, a co-RD of the fall race, posted this code, RWOL10, for $10 off the race entry on a group FB page. Anyone can use it, good through July!

Thanks Sue!

DoppleBock

Many times we runners are unhappy with some facet of a race ~ All most of us ask is that RDs and race groups continually strive to improve.  Learn from their mistakes or mistakes they see at other races to help them get better.  Listen to runner feedback and see if anything could be tweaked to improve off that feedback.

Races that do this may lose a runner for a year that is upset over something or may not if the runners sees the problem addressed.

I have never done well at NorthCoast.

The race is subject to weather patterns off Lake Erie - I think that is the only thing where you get what you get.

I really like this race for:

*  Decent Course 

*  Well organized

*  Easy to fly or drive too (8 hours)

*  Cheap hotels close and convienent

*  Has had medical people for foot issues and stretching / correction

*  Easy to get you area set up in the morning

*  Stuff to do near race

*  Race group (Dan for sure) very easy to ask questions of the weeks and months before and get quick answers

To summarize:  Easy logistics / Decent Course / Easy to contact Race people.  I would recommend the race to 1st timers and elites.

FANS24 is a whole different experience - But also a high quality race ~ After 20+ years they have it down pat.  FANS course being 2.4 miles feels a little more "Jogging in the Park" where NC24 feels more like a race.

I am sure I will be back at NC24 ~ But not in 2012 (Other plans)

additional response from John the co RD. They are saying the right things..

As Dan said, we'll have more information on this issue in the relatively near future. The experience at the Spring race has taught us that we need (1) more control over the timing process and (2) redundancy. Hopefully, the manual backup (which will also be computerized, not paper) and the video will be 100% unnecessary, but better safe than sorry. All three systems will independently be capable of producing the detail of results we need (i.e., overall times and lap splits).

NC24 is nothing without its integrity and its accuracy of results. We want every last runner -- from the fastest runners with an eye on national/world records, to those who are trying to meet their own personal goals -- to have 100% confidence that their results are going to be recorded accurately, reliably, and timely. I assure you that this fall, we're going to go a long way towards regaining that confidence

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

It does look like they will make the decision on course direction on race day once again. Going counter clockwise in the Spring was much easier than it would have been going th eother way. I dont know that Sabrina would have broken the record if the course was ran the other direction. That *may* help some of your weather concerns.

Just a hypothetical: How well do you think the National team members will be able to run this, only 2 weeks after Poland? I haven't had that much experience with ultras: my trail 50k took a week to recover from, and I couldn't run for a week after last year's NC24. But then, I'm also not as well trained as these elites.
                  DoppleBock

Why would they run it 2 weeks after Poland?  The US Championship was decided at the Spring NC24.  

Fall NC24 in 2012 takes the roll of a quality 24 hour race that is available for people to do their best to hit goals at.

Hypothetically - It depends on how much they crush themselves at Worlds.  I have found that when I am limited by another factor (Dehydration) that does not allow me to completely destroy my muscles I can comeback quickly.

I have also found I can get away with a second 50 mile race 2 weeks after a hard 50 mile race - But the second race might put me out from doing anything but jogging for 3 months.  Sometimes you can get away with a 2nd race before you are recovered from 1st race - But you will pay dearly for it. 

Just a hypothetical: How well do you think the National team members will be able to run this, only 2 weeks after Poland? I haven't had that much experience with ultras: my trail 50k took a week to recover from, and I couldn't run for a week after last year's NC24. But then, I'm also not as well trained as these elites.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Sue - if you're talking about seeing people such as Connie and Deb on the list of registrants, they were already on the list for the fall race before the spring race and 2012 championships were announced.

I don't know what the policy was for transferring entries from one race to the other, or how well they've maintained the list.

As for recovery ... ugh! I'm living the nightmare. ;-)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Liz-I did see their names and was just curious. I hope your recovery is going well.
                        DoppleBock

Deb is one I could see run the race anyway ~ She has always been a huge supporter of the NC24 races. 

Plus in the past they gave free entry to the members of the US 24 hour team.

Sue - if you're talking about seeing people such as Connie and Deb on the list of registrants, they were already on the list for the fall race before the spring race and 2012 championships were announced.

I don't know what the policy was for transferring entries from one race to the other, or how well they've maintained the list.

As for recovery ... ugh! I'm living the nightmare. ;-)

bump..

I havent signed up yet, but I likely will even though I havent run for weeks. But thats nothing unusual. I am slimmer than Ive been in the past races, and if I get in a good August, I should beat my Spring mileage.

They are testing the timing system this weekend at the course for a training run. I think they are doing all the right things to fix the past problems.

Anyone else here commit to this yet?

I'm in for a buckle. No napping or visiting the med tent this year. I hope the timing issue will be resolved...three systems will be in place for this Sept's race.
                              DoppleBock

I consider this a nice event and decent venue and yet I have failed miserably the 2 times I have participated.  I am not sure why ~ Maybe there is just bad juju for me in Ohio?