Ultra Runners

50 miles? What was I thinking?!? (Read 842 times)

The King of Beasts

What about Smart water?   Is there any value to putting that in my hydration vest instead of regular water?

if you have been drinking water during training i would stick with just plain water.

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

For me - If I keep hydrated, keep the right salt and potasium balance and keep eating - I can trow down almost anything - Gagging sometimes, but get it down.  If I am running way over my pace and frying me system this is not true anymore.

I think this is something I need to remember.  No matter what, I need to force in food!

Michelle

if you have been drinking water during training i would stick with just plain water.

I've been just drinking water.  But, I don't typically use Gatorade, or anything like that. So, I'm a little concerned about electrolytes.  Maybe I've been getting enough through GU's and the Blasts.

Michelle

That's the beauty of running 50 miles. You won't be under normal conditions. I say we give it a shot. I'll bring the tequilla too!

You are not a good influence!  How about if you drink the tequilla and I'll take pictures when you pass out?  I won't draw things on your face with a marker, I promise.  Big grin

Michelle

The King of Beasts

I like drinking water and getting salt from Scaps, chips, gel, and other food.

my stomach does better when I stick with drinking water

"As a dreamer of dreams and a travelin' man I have chalked up many a mile. Read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, And I've learned much from both of their styles." ~ Jimmy Buffett

"I don't see much sense in that," said Rabbit. "No," said Pooh humbly, "there isn't. But there was going to be when I began it. It's just that something happened to it along the way."”

Mishka-old log

You are not a good influence!  How about if you drink the tequilla and I'll take pictures when you pass out?  I won't draw things on your face with a marker, I promise.  Big grin

Depending on what "things" are, that sounds like a plan!

Depending on what "things" are, that sounds like a plan!

Okay.....You have a week to get this out of your system!  Remember, we'll be on trails, I can make it look like an accident that you fell over the side and into the sticker bushes. BTW -  I think that just for fun, I'll sing Girl Scout songs as we run.  50 miles is a lot of songs.   

Michelle

Mishka-old log

Hey, there's no chapter in the book for dealing with those kind of challenges! Looks like I'll be hitting the tequila earlier than planned.

I like drinking water and getting salt from Scaps, chips, gel, and other food.

my stomach does better when I stick with drinking water

I still haven't tried Scaps.  I should though. 

I'm not sure what this means, but I rarely get that white/chalky salt stuff on my face after running.  I used to get that a lot, but over the past few years it rarely happens.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, or if it really doesn't mean anything at all.  

Michelle

I'm not sure what this means

It means Mishka needs to bring a marker too.

Thanks for the tweak thread, Michelle. I'm exactly a week behind you guys on the first 50 tweak schedule. On Lynn's advice, I'm planning on bringing a big cooler filled with beer instead of a drop bag.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

This is perfect for me because my first 50 is coming up in early November, so I'll use your tweak to gather info for my tweak. There's probably stuff to stress about that I haven't even thought of yet heh.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

It means Mishka needs to bring a marker too.

Thanks for the tweak thread, Michelle. I'm exactly a week behind you guys on the first 50 tweak schedule. On Lynn's advice, I'm planning on bringing a big cooler filled with beer instead of a drop bag.

Haha!  You know me, Bonkin.  I'm usually a lurker until I start to tweak and then I over-post, here there & everywhere.  I'll try to keep from showing my tweaking on FB though, non-runners won't understand.

How are you feeling?  Are you ready for your race?

I'm just happy that with this race it will start and finish near where our tents will be.  So, the cooler with the beer won't be far off after I crawl across the finish line.

Oh, and no markers for Mishka. 

Michelle

Ojo

Obviously, no advice Michelle but I know you can do this! 

And for the record, Scaps have really helped my running and recovery.

Sara

MM #2929

This is perfect for me because my first 50 is coming up in early November, so I'll use your tweak to gather info for my tweak. There's probably stuff to stress about that I haven't even thought of yet heh.

Awesome!  The more the merrier!  Tweaking is fun when there are others to share it with.   Which one are you doing?

I hope that there aren't many new things to stress about though!

Michelle

Mishka-old log

Oh, and no markers for Mishka. 

What?? How is that fair? Too bad markers aren't controlled substances. I'm going to Walgreens. Right now. A 10-pack of permanent markers will be the first thing I pack.