Ultra Runners

Grand Union Canal Race (Read 371 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Lottery draw is 2000hrs GMT today.  I've got an entry in, WrigleyGirl has an entry and so does Jerry.

145 miles (actually closer to 148 miles - forgot to mention that to Jenn).

Good luck to all.

Kalsarikännit

145 miles (actually closer to 148 miles -

Well then I'm out. 145 seems reasonable, but 148 is just too ridiculously long.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

That's why I didn't tell you.  Knew you were weak.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Jen - in Tom - in Jerry - in Phew.

Feeling the growl again

Jen - in Tom - in Jerry - in Phew.

Wow, given my impression of heodds that's outstanding.  

Time to lay down some serious training. Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Well done gang.

+1

Wow, given my impression of heodds that's outstanding.  

This.

Good luck all of you.  Looking forward to following the training. 

Jen and Tom, I noticed you're both supported runners...what kind of support do they allow on the GUCR?  I guess I could look it up myself, but it's lazier to ask.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Purdey

Self anointed title

They allow Hoppity and Turtle support....

Seriously?

I'm in then.  If you would have me?

MTA: The Turtle is pretty supportive, so am sure he'd be in too. 

Not sure my single 30 miler is a real qualification as support though. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Kalsarikännit

Just crew and pacer (after a certain point). Purses said he knew some people that could help me, and the RD kept bringing up that you have a better chance of getting in if you are supported, so I went with that. Besides, in the rules, you could only have two drop bags over 145 miles. That's a lot of gu to carry around! Some of the race reports I read really have an extensive crew cooking and meeting their runners all the time. I will use a hydration pack, and am pretty easy. Hoppity, where are you and the green door? Anywhere near there? Also, do you know Daniel Craig, and can you introduce me when I am there?

Kalsarikännit

Guess who got an iPhone? Now Purdey is "purses" and I make long run on paragraphs. Hoppity, it would be awesome to meet you, and any support you can give Purdey or me would rock.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I am Mr Craig's body double.

2 drop bags does make for a lot of Gu to carry.

I'm in Oxford, so am pretty close to most of the race (an hour or so drive), and am very happy to support in any way.  If you and Tom are keen then let me know and I'll work around what suits you two best.  Happy to crew (if you want hot food, you can have it), and would also pace (but I think you can very easily find better people for that). 

The door actually needs fixing at the moment (damn wood panels), and some new stained glass...that isn't among your skills is it?

I think Tom knows Daniel Craig...well, he looks a bit like him (if you squint a bit)...so he might be best to ask?

How long before and after the race will you be over here?  Would be good to at least drink with you if the crewing doesn't happen!

Damn it.   I wrote the Daniel Craig bit before reading the post by 'Purses'.

Late to the show...yes, I am in Big grin

Third attempt but last year was absolutely horrific with continual rain for about 15-20 hours so it just drained me. I have been extremely lucky (!!!!) to get in three times so really need to get it over, done and out of the system. I will hopefully be taking on a pacer at Tring (Breakfast stop) but am being very careful who I choose as I don't think there will be much running from that point.

Jerry
                                A runners blog-updated daily