Ultra Runners

Grand Union Canal Race (Read 371 times)

Congrats Jerry.  Fingers crossed next year brings much nicer weather, 15+ hours of rain sounds far from fun. 

So are unsupported runners allowed pacers but not crew?  (I thought I saw your name on the unsupported list, but I may well be mistaken).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Yes Unsupported runners are allowed pacers from 65 miles onwards....on reflection I am not sure if I actually want one as at 100 miles having a runner full of beans will be hard to deal with so they have to be very empathetic Confused

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

I don't think I will be looking for a pacer for any significant distance (for the same reasons that Jerry has highlighted) - but will definitely be looking for support crew. 

If you fancy "running" 10 - 20 miles with me then it would be very welcome.  Most beneficial would be from something like 100 - 120 mi.

My Dad has kind of committed to supporting me already, which is brilliant, but he wont' be able to cover the whole distance.  I reckon I'll need 2 crews. 

On current plans, my support crew will also be crewing for Jen.

I am happy to form a second crew to cover both you and Jen, Brian says he's happy to as well. 

Can "run" with either of you if you decide it is what you want, but won't be offended if you choose to go it alone.  It's your race, not mine, and being any part of it (as crew or annoying company) would be a privilege (if a rather humbling and scary one). 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Purdey

Self anointed title

Thank you!!

I think taking on company is a really good option as you will be arriving at some stage in the early morning and 100 miles is the breakfast stop of bacon and egg sandwiches with a bowl of baked beans and HOT coffee. Good time to change kit, get your feet sorted out and get some good conversation in. I dropped out there last year as my feet were shot after such a long time in the rain....I know what to listen out for now and I definitely won't be stopping there this time.

Jerry

Kalsarikännit

Thanks for the offer of help, Hoppity. I'm sure it would be nice to have someone to run with during the race. It might help break up the monotony. I wouldn't worry about not being able to hang for a long time. When you see the paces that are thrown down at mile 90, you will be thoroughly unpressed with ultrarunners for life! Crew or pace, any help you can give would be great.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

WG - Mimi Anderson is running next year - I think I've told you about her before - double Badwater, world record holder for several things etc etc.

I will buy you a pint if you beat her.

I think you should be assured that I will be thoroughly impressed with you ultrarunners at mile 0 through to 148...whatever the pace. 

I think you should be assured that I will be thoroughly impressed with you ultrarunners at mile 0  26.2 through to 148...whatever the pace. 

Fixed Big grin Wink

Jerry

See the having the balls to stand on the start line of something 148 miles long is enough to impress me.  I'm easily pleased (and easily scared).

I reckon I can man up and cover up to 30 Tom/WG if needed.  Hoping 2013 will bring some longer runs for me, and maybe my first 50 miler.  I'd not commit to the 30 unless I was sure I'd be well within my limits, and with my n=1 experience of going that distance at the moment I'd understand why you're likely to be wary.

Very interested and excited to see Mimi in action. 

Kalsarikännit

I'd understand why you're likely to be wary.

l for one, am not even close to being wary. I'm incredibly lucky to have any help, I am excited to meet you, because you seem very fun, and I am lucky that I will get to see Purdey again, meet the Queen, see buildings I have only read about, and drink a proper British ale.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Hopefully more than one ale, and don't forget Daniel Craig.

Might join you for some of the drinking, Queen-meeting and building viewing as well as this whole GUCR thing.  Come to Oxford if you have time before or after...it's kind of old and pretty...but Purdey will tell you to go to Cambridge instead.

xor

Americans have a different frame of reference on the whole "kind of old" thing.

"Oooooo... that house was built in 1901!"

I went to a really old inn when I was at a conference in Ventura, CA.   I think it was 100 years old.   I was very nice and impressed with it though.  I was, I am ashamed to admit, more excited by the In-n-Out burger over the road from the hotel, and less excited by the "curry" we went out for with a drunk welshman and a drink italian.

If WG visits she can walk (and I can run) past some old and new buildings.  There are quite a few old (in the British sense) places that sell beer.