Ultra Runners

Grand Union Canal Race (Read 371 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I guess nothing is certain when you are covering 145 mi.  Mimi is a class act though.

(Of course, she is a grandmother - so you have no excuses Wrigler.  (She will beat me too))

At "The Piece of String" last Mimi stopped at ~96 miles and sat there chatting looking as fresh as a daisy, I flopped in after 44 miles (having swept the middle section) looking as though somebody had dragged me through 10 bushes and a mud bath, she is incredible

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Time to pay fees for the Grand Union Canal Race.  I think that £45 for 145 miles is very good value indeed.

This from the race organiser:

"It now is time to commit to GUCR 2013.  Before you do, I'd just like to remind you that this is a very low-key event, staged on a shoestring budget by enthusiastic amateurs.  If you are expecting a bulging goody-bag; electronic timing; sat-nav tracking; real-time internet up-dates; personal medical attention; bells, flags, whistles or even a decent shelter at the Finish; you will be very disappointed.  Do yourself a favour and drop out now."

This is the kind of race that I like.

Feeling the growl again

Time to pay fees for the Grand Union Canal Race.  I think that £45 for 145 miles is very good value indeed.

"It now is time to commit to GUCR 2013.  Before you do, I'd just like to remind you that this is a very low-key event, staged on a shoestring budget by enthusiastic amateurs.  If you are expecting a bulging goody-bag; electronic timing; sat-nav tracking; real-time internet up-dates; personal medical attention; bells, flags, whistles or even a decent shelter at the Finish; you will be very disappointed.  Do yourself a favour and drop out now."

Awesome.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Kalsarikännit

Yup. That comes out to 71.73 'Merican. Not too shabby for 145 miles.

After much debate, I decided on post race plans. I know I want to spend two weeks goofing off in Europe. I will spend some time in London, Paris, Bordeaux, Barcelona (I am especially excited about the architecture of Gaudi), and hiking in the Pyrenees.  God bless backpacks, trains and hostels.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

It's the quality of beer at the end that warrants the price of the race IMHO.  But holy hell, 70 bucks for 145 miles is not too shabby.  The only race I know that comes close is the Crusty 50K, at $10 mail in registration.

Home Away From Home

It's the quality of beer at the end that warrants the price of the race IMHO.  But holy hell, 70 bucks for 145 miles is not too shabby.  The only race I know that comes close is the Crusty 50K, at $10 mail in registration.

Or the Ghost Train Trail Ultra in Milford, NH. $35 for as much mileage as you want with in the 30 some hour time limit.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Kalsarikännit

Or the Ghost Train Trail Ultra in Milford, NH. $35 for as much mileage as you want with in the 30 some hour time limit.

Greg_C was talking about doing this race.  I'm sure he will be happy to know that he doesn't have to stop at 100 miles.

Greg_C was talking about doing this race.  I'm sure he will be happy to know that he doesn't have to stop at 100 miles.

Oh yes, the thought of more than 100 just fills me with glee, heh, since I haven't done more than 50 yet.  Sailor will be there too, assuming he's not sailing.

Now we return you to thoughts of touring Europe on foot...

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Home Away From Home

Oh yes, the thought of more than 100 just fills me with glee, heh, since I haven't done more than 50 yet.  Sailor will be there too, assuming he's not sailing.

Now we return you to thoughts of touring Europe on foot...

Oh yes, I am there if the Sailor isn't sailing.

MM#5768

"Anyone can do it in ideal conditions"- A quote from a true NE CN runner and friend.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Hi folks.  Running 145 miles will be a really big deal for me.  I'm trying to raise money for a very small village school which is suffering from a lack of government funding.  Can anyone spare a couple of dollars / pounds / sheckles?

http://www.everyclick.com/145miles#

Every cent will make a difference.

I'm totally out of the loop on what is happening with this.  Hugely unfit right now, a string of 50 mile weeks with insigifnficant long runs (ie none)..however I can up the fitness and be good for pacing in latter stages if either of you want it still-and am also happy to crew (as is the husband).  Can offer floor/sofabed space in our hobbit house in Oxford if you fancy a trip there too, WG.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Kalsarikännit

I'm easy. If you want to crew or pace it would be great. If you aren't interested in either it is no problem. I have to look at a map of England. I have no idea where Oxford is. Idiot American. All I know is that I am going to fly into London, train it to Birmingham, run way too far, drink English beer, and at some point in my journey I want to do super touristy things in London. Palaces, old buildings, harassing Beefeaters, more old stuff, etc.  I'd be willing to bet that Oxford has old stuff and beer, too.

I really wouldn't worry too much about being crazy fit for pacing. By the time we need you I suspect that you are going to be unimpressed by the pace that is being laid down. It will probably be an ungodly death shuffle. I just really appreciate you volunteering to help. It means a lot.

I am both keen and interested to pace and crew (so is Brian).  Happy to do whatever you need and we can talk about the details a bit closer to the time.  Ungodly death shuffles will still impress me, and it would mean a lot to be part of it your run in any way.

Oxford is close(ish) to the route the GUCR will take.

and

Old pubs aplenty here in Oxford, and some touristy stuff too...can take you around some Oxford colleges and so on.  Could also head up to meet you in London and do stuff I should have done there myself.  Beer drinking can obviously be part of all of it too.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Kalsarikännit

Old pubs aplenty here in Oxford, and some touristy stuff too...can take you around some Oxford colleges and so on.  Could also head up to meet you in London and do stuff I should have done there myself.  Beer drinking can obviously be part of all of it too.

Wow. Both ideas are perfect, and Oxford is ideally situated. We can decide closer to the race.  This all sounds wonderful (except for the running 145 miles part).