Ultra Runners

Grand Union Canal Race (Read 371 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

WrigleyGirl - this may be a great opportunity for you to beat Mimi Anderson... as she will have run 145miles before she lines up at the start.

First ever attempt at a double Grand Union:

http://www.run247.com/articles/article-3623-mimi-anderson-interview---proceed-with-caution!.html

Kalsarikännit

This is kind of funny because the RD kept making a point of THIS IS A RACE!  He brought that he heard double talk and wanted the one way race to be taken seriously. Huh.

That beating Mimi talk is loco, btw.  She knows this course. I'm getting lost for sure.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

I know, right?

I don't think the mighty Dick will be very pleased with her.  She'll still run a decent time though.

Getting lost?  We start on the canal tow path.  Follow it for 145 miles.

Actually, there are a few points where you have to switch from one side of the canal to the other - I'm trying to ensure we have crew members at these points.

This is kind of funny because the RD kept making a point of THIS IS A RACE!  He brought that he heard double talk and wanted the one way race to be taken seriously. Huh.

That beating Mimi talk is loco, btw.  She knows this course. I'm getting lost for sure.

You will not be able to get lost, the route is very obvious with only a few switch overs on bridges which are all numbered and where you do cross there will be a lot of crews hanging around to either meet runners.

Personally I am a bit irritated that Mimi is doing this as this race is hard enough and it is a poke in the eye to the runners who find it hard enough as it is. There are a core group of runners in the UK group of runners who are beginning to do this and of course they are welcome to  to push the barriers, I just wish they didn't do it off the back of the official events....or at least run the official event first...then do the extra run, it is just plain showing off.

I have tried it twice before, in 2011 I got to 91 miles (ill prepared), 96 mile in 2012 (injured...the weather was horrendous) as for 2013, well we will wait and see. There are veterans who have completed in on many a year but failed on other years. GUCR gets under your skin but this time I am much more experienced at the longer stuff and will just try what I know best and use different tactics in other areas

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Personally I am a bit irritated that Mimi is doing this as this race is hard enough and it is a poke in the eye to the runners who find it hard enough as it is. 

I think it's great.  She has the ability to do this and still finish in the top 5 overall.

Should we ask the Kenyans to slow down at the London Marathon because it is a poke in the eye to the plodders taking 6hrs to complete it?

No don't get me wrong Tom, she is an amazing athlete, there is no doubt in that. I would prefer that she did the double after the event, we all run the first 145 miles as equals and then she go off and do her own thing.

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

Fair point.

Sandy-2

Hi, I typically hang out over in the Trailer Trash, but do come over here to lurk every once in a while.

Late to the party I guess.  I travel from TX to London quite a bit and have mapped a few of my runs over the years, including the one I did this morning.    Tomorrow I need to do another 15 miles or so and intend to make a b-line up to Hampstead Heath and then meander a bit up that way.  Thinking about following your suggested route back toward the eastern canals and the Thames.  I'm in sort of recovery mode from a 50 miler I did last weekend and kick-starting my Leadville training at the moment.

The long GUCR sounds nice, good luck to everyone doing it.  I don't think I'll be back this way during the run, too bad, I would have been up for some pacing duties.

Some London routes (I only plot the logish ones):

3 parks and a canal (this morning's run): http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/192256628

Thames to the east: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/144288757

Thames to the west:  http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/145242857

Cheers,

Sandy

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

Sandy

Thames to East and West are great runs. I was ina  training course just where your red camera widget shows and ran the Thames Path to Greenwich and then to my home, a route I often take. On my longer runs I go past the Woolwich Ferry. Good city runs...enjoy

Jerry

Purdey

Self anointed title

4 weeks to go.  Fuckity fuck fuck.

Kalsarikännit

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

4 weeks to go.  Fuckity fuck fuck.

Stop pretending like you aren't going to kick ass.  Your sandbagging training doesn't fool me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Purdey

Self anointed title