Ultra Runners

Study Looks At How Ultra Runners Hydrate (Read 339 times)

This is an interesting article which has some interesting, if not surprising, results.

Is it easier to hold water bottles in hand or in a hydration pack?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

thanks for the link, good read.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

That is interesting. It seems like so many more people carry the handhelds. I prefer a pack I think, but you never see elite runners with hydration packs so I strive not to rely on one. Do you think more people go with the handhelds for convenience (easier to fill, easier to drink or least harder to forget to drink, etc)?

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

While I use a handheld for shorter runs, I prefer a hydration pack for longer runs. I like my hands free, especially if on a technical trail. Plus it just feels more comfortable.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Kalsarikännit

I usually base the decision on how far apart the aid stations are. 

I do like having my hands free for my (very) frequent falls.  I also like they hydration pack because of the extra room for things like gu, pills, extra powdered gatorade (can't do heed), and things that I start out with, but may not want to leave in a drop bad in case I need them later: arm warmers, gloves, headlamp, etc.

I don't like it that the super speedy runners don't have them, too.  I feel dorky. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I have a hydration pack but I have now ripped the bladder out last year preferring 2 x 500 ml bottles that I stuff in the side pockets. At the beginning of a race I have 500 mls Nuun and 500 mls (cheap) carb drink/cold green tea. As the race goes on I drink away but reduce it to just 500 mls maximum at any one time.

I will prefer to pull my back pack off take a slug and then put it back on normally during an up hill walk section

Jerry
              A runners blog-updated daily

Carl A

I prefer handhelds for the added protection they provide my face.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I do like having my hands free for my (very) frequent falls.  

I don't like it that the super speedy runners don't have them, too.  I feel dorky. 

+1 on the falls

Hey, only the kool kids have hydration packs

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

I generally carry only hand-helds for runs which have water along the way, at least every ~8 miles or so.  When in the mountains I have starting using a simple backpack to carry a bladder, food, soda's, fried chicken-legs, etc.

I'm noboby, who are you?

I've tried them all and frankly wear what I feel the most comfortable with. If you finishing in the top 10 then maybe the weight issue matters. For the mortal 90% find what works best.

Opinion on :

Camels backs can be a pain in the ass to fill and keep clean. You have to be careful with straps or you'll have some nasty friction burns. Stuck with single flavor that you best really like.

hand held:  Two issues that I have concerns about., 1, Fall with hand held and use the bottle either on purpose or accident, and your  fluid is gone and maybe a long way to the nexct aid station; 2- the fluid gets piss warm or your hand(s) gets cold. I like to sip cold water and will often ask for ice if it 's available. Unless I guzzle I'm back to sipping tinkle warm fluid.

Waistpack: Easy access and keeps my fluid cool. My hands are free to break my fall or grab a tree. With my jug(s) nestled in the center of my back, I can hardly tell I'm carrying. Alternate fluid flavors more frequently and easier.

Opinion off: