Ultra Runners

too green, or move to 100's? (Read 530 times)

I ran my first 50 miler last weekend, a self supported event on trails. Nutrition was fantastic, had some great pacers along the run with me and ended up finishing very comfortably at 10:02:00 (Goal was to finish <11 hours). I can honestly say that I felt good enough to knock out a number more miles if the wife & kids weren't waiting for me at the finish.  Recovery has been really good, no problems on of after the run aside from just muscle fatigue.

Not long ago, 100 seemed a little crazy to me, but after this last event I could see how do-able it really is. So, I'm starting to let the thoughts trickle into my head about the Burning River 100 (local for me) or the Tahoe Rim to Rim 100 (not local) next year. I have a couple more 50k's on the schedule and am looking at 50 milers in 2011 (ex. Mtn. Masochist), which I think is the most logical step as far as training and time commitments go.

I know a lot of you have been in this place long before me and I am in no rush yet on the 100's.....should I give it another year and get some more 50milers under my belt? Or train as if I am going to do a 100 and gauge it as the mileage increases?

I say go for it!

I ran my first 50 in 08. Signed up for the 100 miler at  the end of 08. Forgot about said hundred miler  and went onto marathons. Got an  email a week before said 100 mile race. By the end of that night I was asking my husband what are plans for the following weekend were. Needless to say I went into the 100 mile race hoping to finish 50 miles. End result first (and only)  female finisher of said event (it was only the 2nd year of the race)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

DoppleBock

Compared to 50 milers, 100s are more about pacing stratgey (Gallow walking) and taking care of your hydration, nutrition and electrolytes.  It also helps to be either really stupid or stubborn ... do you have what it takes?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Compared to 50 milers, 100s are more about pacing stratgey (Gallow walking) and taking care of your hydration, nutrition and electrolytes.  It also helps to be either really stupid or stubborn ... do you have what it takes?

ahhhhhhh that explains it. I've got the whole stupid thing down pat.  

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

oh great, now i have to do it, cause i are real dumb.

Congrats on the self-supported 50 mile. That alone says you have what it takes to go the 100 mile distance. And you had some nice company along the way (I saw Laurie's FB posts.)

Mohican or Burning River are both good first time events with ample amount of aid stations. The x-factor with BR100 is the heat and humidity. It could be oppressive on the last weekend of July (this year they caught a break with relative low humidity.)

Indeed, the 100 mile distance might seem like light years apart from 50 miles and in many ways it is. In my experience the 100 mile is more about stubbornness and preparedness than it is running. Ability to take care of nutrition, feet, and moving in the dark all play a part.

That all said, I've seen more than a few others tackle the BR100 on less experience than yours -- and finish.

Go for it and have an open mind. I think you will know more about your capabilities by mid-to-late Spring.

mta: clarity

roots,

I really do appreciate the comments, I had great company on the 50 miler, making the miles just fly by!

I think I am going to shoot for another 50m in the Spring, ultimately a 100 miler (Oil Creek) in the Fall. I am not a huge fan of the heat which knocks BR100 and Mohican out of the mix. The hardest part will be convincing my wife that it's not going to kill me, but make me stronger!

Again, thanks for the encouragement....I know I'll get there, it's a great journey!

Purdey

Self anointed title

Congrats on the self-supported 50 mile. That alone says you have what it takes to go the 100 mile distance.

+1 You have what it takes.

Thanks for the comments, I just registered for the Burning River 100. So there it is, guess I have to do it now. If 90% is mental and the other 10% is mental, I think it'll all work out swimmingly.

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

It also helps to be either really stupid or stubborn ... do you have what it takes?

I would like to license the rights to this.

• Black Canyon 100k
                      • RRR
                      • Zane Grey 100k
                      • High Lonesome 100
                      • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                      • The Bear 100
                      • Javelina Jundred (?)

100-Milers.  It helps to be either really stupid or stubborn ... do you have what it takes?

This should be on a T-shirt.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance