Ultra Runners

Favorite sock for long runs? (Read 73 times)

NYCNorma

I feel like my socks have all turned against me. The past couple of years I've had luck with Wright Socks, but I've been wearing them this training cycle and getting repeated blisters--some between my toes and some on the bottom. I have a pair of SmartWools that I like, but I bought them a couple of years ago on sale and they are a discontinued model. It seems a lot of running socks on their site say they are for short distances, so I've been afraid to buy more. I also have one pair of Injinjis, but they hurt in between my toes. I think my feet are misshapen. (toes too long?)

Anyway, I would love to hear what you love.

Daydreamer1

I'm assuming that you are using the double layer version of the Wright Sock. Several years ago I had seen some in a running store that I'm sure were just single layer so I just wanted to clarify that. I've been using the double layer version for the past two to three years and this year I started to feel some chafing on the soles of my feet. I think the problem is that I've been wearing them too long and while they don't really look worn out they are starting to get somewhat threadbare which increases the friction. Since I'm cheap and hate to throw things out, I've been using those on short runs and newer ones on long runs.

Are they too snug? Even if you have been using the same size for years it's possible that your feet have grown slightly. My shoe size has changed recently going up at least a 1/2 size. That could be part of the problem.

Are you keeping up with foot care, keeping your callouses filed down etc.?

Have you changed shoes or if you're using what you always have, are they a different version?

Just trying to throw out a few ideas to possibly consider.

I really like my Wright Socks. The smart wools that I have are nice but they are just too warm for me in the summer.

NYCNorma

I was kind of thinking my Wright Socks might be too old. I initially bought one pair and LOVED them. I went back and bought two more pairs, same size, different color, but they are a little too big. I've worn the big ones on short runs and the "good" ones on long runs. All three pairs are 2+ years old. I don't like throwing things out either. Smile They don't seem threadbare, but maybe they've just broken down.

I did a 24-mile run today in the SmartWools and they brought their A game. Feet feel great and no hot spots or blisters. Maybe I should just buy more...

I'm still using SmartWools - hiker mostly, medium cushion.   They've changed the packaging over the years and some of the models - actually added a lot of models. REi makes a similar sock but taller and cheaper, esp. when on sale. I sometimes use a light liner duriloo races..

Years ago , I used to use a double-layer sock for hiking, but they took forever to dry. And feet slid around in them ( or maybe they were sliding within themselves)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          NYCNorma

I'm still using SmartWools - hiker mostly, medium cushion.   

I was actually perusing the hiking models and wondering if they would be just as good as the "running" models for long runs.

And yes, I find the dual-layer socks don't dry as fast. I never ever wear them if there's a chance my feet will get wet.

I was actually perusing the hiking models and wondering if they would be just as good as the "running" models for long runs.

And yes, I find the dual-layer socks don't dry as fast. I never ever wear them if there's a chance my feet will get wet.

For me, I never thought that the running models looked like they'd work for running through the woods or for subzero temps, so I never tried them. I had hiking models to start and never changed

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Imminent Catastrophe

Super thin Injinji toe-sock liners, with a thin Drymax hyper-thin sock over it. Never a blister in 50 miles-plus.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I use smartwool running socks in the winter.  In the summer I've used both Asics and Brooks "training" socks.  They are low cut but slightly higher in the back which I need because my favorite trail shoes have a slightly higher heel as well.  The Asics and Brooks trainers are also a mix of cotton and synthetic blend which help with wicking and breath-ability.

FWIW, I've noticed quality of smartwool socks has diminished in the last few years.  I have a couple pairs purchased in 2005 that have lasted longer than pairs bought in 2010.  Hopefully they can figure out their quality issues and correct.

I use smartwool running socks in the winter.  In the summer I've used both Asics and Brooks "training" socks.  They are low cut but slightly higher in the back which I need because my favorite trail shoes have a slightly higher heel as well.  The Asics and Brooks trainers are also a mix of cotton and synthetic blend which help with wicking and breath-ability.

FWIW, I've noticed quality of smartwool socks has diminished in the last few years.  I have a couple pairs purchased in 2005 that have lasted longer than pairs bought in 2010.  Hopefully they can figure out their quality issues and correct.

Smartwool has definitely changed some things the last couple years and has made it hard to figure out what my socks are now - repackaged or new composition. I'm having to retest some things to be sure the socks work. REI had similar socks, but a little heavier and taller, and something's changed in them also.

Oh, well, if I didn't have to test and experiment, all I'd have to do is focus on running. Wink

Ojo

Super thin Injinji toe-sock liners, with a thin Drymax hyper-thin sock over it. Never a blister in 50 miles-plus.

I use the same type of combination -- Injinji liner with a thin wool sock over.  I was wearing Balega but they are no longer making the style.  I need to search for a new wool sock.

As for Smartwool, they changed factory locations and the socks are not as well made.  The original creators started a new line Fit socks that are like the Smartwool socks we all fell in love with.  DH bought a pair and so far they have held up well.

Sara

MM #2929

NYCNorma

Argh...I wore my one pair of SmartWool socks on a 6-mile run tonight and I got a blow out in the right big toe!  HUGE hole! Then I come back here and you guys are talking about quality control issues. lol I bought these in November.

Can someone tell me if the Injinji liners are more stretchy than the other models? I think the ones I have are the original weight and they hurt in between my toes. I think my toes are too long for them.

RUN IT OUT

injinji smartwool, 100 miles no blisters. Best socks in the world. 

Sandy-2

For what it's worth, over the past 4 or 5 years I have been wearing thin Asics socks along with Asics road shoes (Nimbus).  I wear these whether on trail or on roads.  Just did Leadville in my same ole combination and didn't have any issues whatsoever.  FYI, I put BodyGlide on my feet before I do a long run.

2/17/24 - Forgotten Florida 100 Mile, Christmas, FL

FTYC

Faster Than Your Couch!

I just got a pair of Wigwam hiking socks, and they are great for running. I'm not sure, however, how well they'll hold up, they look kind of frayed after only 3 longish runs already (plus washing, and drying in the dryer, maybe that was not the best idea?).

I also wear drymax trail running socks, they are great, even for runs with lots of creek crossings, swamp crossings, or just very sweaty feet. I never go a blister from those, either.

If you are looking for thin socks, the adidas supernova are great.

Your feet might have grown or changed over the years, maybe that's why the socks are not fitting so well any more?

Run for fun.

NYCNorma

Your feet might have grown or changed over the years, maybe that's why the socks are not fitting so well any more?

I wondered about this. I must learn to accept that our bodies change. Wink

I ended up buying another pair of SmartWool and ran 25 miles in them today with excellent results. I ran by my running store and they aren't selling the SW running socks anymore, but I ran up to where they keep the hiking gear and they had "light cushion" "outdoor" SmartWools. I grabbed some of those and I like them better than my old pair. <shrug>  I also tried some bodyglide in between the toes of my left foot and nothing on my right foot. No noticeable difference there.

I'm still interested in the thin Injinji socks. I'm going to look around for some.