Ultra Runners

Anaerobic Work (Read 212 times)

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Curious what others think about this.  Specifically, "Soc Doc's" stance that anaerobic activity is bad when done too often.  I am considering LT and above to be anaerobic in nature, not just all out reps for 200-400 m.

I would bet most people do these "quality" workouts once a week at a minimum.  Is my assumption that LT+ is anaerobic, correct?

http://sock-doc.com/2012/12/aerobic_endurace_bashing/

• Black Canyon 100k
    • RRR
    • Zane Grey 100k
    • High Lonesome 100
    • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
    • The Bear 100
    • Javelina Jundred (?)

Feeling the growl again

Well, even the 800m is >50% aerobic.  That's while high mileage worked so well for Snell.  So to call 800m pace "anaerobic" is not really correct.  Aerobic/anaerobic is not binary, it is a sliding scale.  The faster you go, the more energy is produced anaerobically.  You certainly can't call "anything over LT anaerobic", because you can spend quite a bit of time there, and true anaerobic running can only continue for a a minute or two.

IMHO even moderate amounts of pretty high intensity running don't have a direct negative impact on aerobic ability/ultra conditioning.  The main effect is that if you do too much you will need more recovery...more recovery means less mileage and/or shorter runs....THAT will not help your ultra training.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Thanks -

I didn't phrase the question correctly either.

Is anaerobic training (1-2x week) bad for your health?

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)
        Snizzle

Wouldn't that depend on the fitness level of the person and the anaerobic workout itself?

What does "bad for your health" mean?

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

Wouldn't that depend on the fitness level of the person and the anaerobic workout itself?

What does "bad for your health" mean?

I am referencing his article and the comments/discussion.  To me, something unhealthy is unhealthy - not sure how else to define it.

• Black Canyon 100k
            • RRR
            • Zane Grey 100k
            • High Lonesome 100
            • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
            • The Bear 100
            • Javelina Jundred (?)

Trail Monster

Have you read Advanced Marathoning by any chance? Not ultra focused but very good, science backed reading on aerobic vs anaerobic plus different effects of each workout on the body and performance.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop