Ultra Runners

February 2018 Ultra Running Forum (Read 47 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

It's a new month. Hoping to get it started with a mid-week longish run. It's also TBT if anyone has any old stories to share.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RWD

Well, Zumbro 50 filled up right under my nose. I had a notification set up with ultrasignup but didn't get it! Well, I guess that makes the decision for me. I guess I can do Chippewa Moraine again, that race is fun.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Managed 7 today. Had hoped to do a little more but tried to stay strong on the hills and they took a lot out of my legs.

NC 24 registration opened at 5:00 PM so I'm duly registered. Still need to make motel reservations. I think a couple really good runners are moving up to my age group this year so the competition will be tough.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

It's also TBT if anyone has any old stories to share.

I didn't know it at the time, but apparently I started getting into trail races back in 2006, which was 8 years before my first marathon.  This was in central Thailand (I'm behind).

Finished January with a tad over 200, best Jan mileage for me.  Still haven't pulled the trigger on any races this year.  I don't know if it's nerves or what.  Biggest problem is that I can't find a shoe setup that I can be confident on trail for so many hours.

RWD - Sorry to hear about Zumbro.  Can't go wrong with a fun race though.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

dhuffman63

Trails

Brazos Bend 100 in Dec opened on Wed and I'm registered for my 1st 50 miler ...it'll be my 55th birthday on the 1st of Dec so I'm celebrating by having fun on the "trail"

T Hound

Slower but happier

Dhuffman - go for Age=Miles, do an extra 5, but do it before, by the end theres no way I could add 5 at the end!

RWD  sorry about Zumbro.  You should look at the Earth Day 50K outside Chicago.  It is a great race (though would be a drive for you).   Its April 21.  I have done it the last 2 years and likely this year.  Weather is always beautiful.

I have no old memories because I have only been running since 2013!

Paul232 have fun at SOB, let us know how it goes of course

Reflections on January:

I haven't registered either, I am not sure why, I am pretty much 100% going to do a 25K in March and a 50K in April.  I have other obligations at the time of Kettle 100 races, which I wanted to do, so I am kinda shopping around now for a June race in the Midwest.

155 miles, 37-40 mpw, starting back after downtime post Tunnel 100 in November.  I resolved to do strength training regular in 2018, I think I have done it 2 times so far.  Following rather loosely Pfitz 12/55-basically keeping the workouts/strides but running more days of week and midweek medium long runs are not so long (time  crunch).  The biggest difference is running different paces for non-workout days:  general aerobic, medium and long run pace, recovery effort, it is much more structured then my prior winging it approach to non workout days.  Only one "workout" in January.  I got one trail run a week.  Mostly on the TM watching Netflix.  Finished Godless, Dark, some of Shameless, some of Master of None, a Marvel series I cannot recall the name of.  Also, The Outsiders movie, part of Hateful Eight, Bourne something, and part of Logan (too much head/face slicing for me).  Netflix gives me something to look forward to on the TM and helps with the drudgery.

Shoe whore stories:  The LRS had a 50% off shoe sale so I got into Hokkas again after a Hokka hiatus:  I got Clayton2 and Tracer ($50 each).  I already did run in Bondi 5 since the call.  Unfortunately, they didn't have any Hokka trail shoes or Cliftons both of which I would like to try (again).  I also got a pair of new Topo Hydroventure (waterproof) shoes at REI garage for $50.  I think I am done buying shoes for full price, I am okay with last years model.  (I also am out of money and pretty much have enough shoes to last the whole season.  (Amelda Marcos eat your heart out)

Whats next:   I am going to add some general aerobic "hill" intervals on the TM.  Steady incline running on the TM can aggravate my Achilles but I may try and do some of that cautiously.  More MP runs, more lactate runs.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

berylrunner

Rick

Good luck to the racers this weekend.

I am really happy how January went.  Consistent mileage, lots of gain and loss.  Completed 4 months of run streak (plan to keep it going).

No injuries or illness.  Historically a bad month.

24 hour race is next weekend, all the pre-race aches are popping up, knee, back, pf, etc.

Looking forward to Zion 100.  Wish it was sooner, I think I am ready, although a few pounds loss would be nice.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

RWD

RWD  sorry about Zumbro.  You should look at the Earth Day 50K outside Chicago.  It is a great race (though would be a drive for you).   Its April 21.  I have done it the last 2 years and likely this year.  Weather is always beautiful.

I haven't registered either, I am not sure why, I am pretty much 100% going to do a 25K in March and a 50K in April.  I have other obligations at the time of Kettle 100 races, which I wanted to do, so I am kinda shopping around now for a June race in the Midwest.

It's not a huge sad deal but I was looking forward to running a 50 miler. Also it starts at midnight which would help me deal with that sleeping issue. I am doing the Chippewa Moraine 50K again and looking forward to it! This year I am going to  The Earth Day 50K sounds fun - my BFF from UIUC is from Crystal Lake.

I will keep you posted but there's a new ultra coming to Duluth the 2nd weekend in June. I don't know anything about it yet other than it's looking like it'll be put on by the Wild Duluth people? So there's an option for a race. Or you could do FANS 6/12/24 hr with me in St. Paul.

Treadmill every day this week so far for me. I did 11 miles between 2 workouts today, hoping to do 14 miles tomorrow, split between outside and treadmill. The high is like... 7F tomorrow so idk how long I'll be able to survive out there.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.The week: 45 mi,  all TM except 5 mi

mon. Off

tues 6 mi aerobic pace

wed 6 mi + strides x 9

thu. 10 mile aerobic

fri. 5 miles w/ incline intervals aerobic

sat. 4 miles rec

sun.   13 mi:  15 degrees snowy so I put screws in my shews and did 5 mile trail/road and then inside for 8 miles at MP. If

I put screws in Altra lone peak but I can feel them more than I like,  so I am just going to use my old screwed Hokkas.

Did the Fort Ord 50k yesterday.  In a word, HOT, with temps in the 80s and very little shade.  I was not well trained for a 50k (one long run of 20 miles, two 15 milers), and definitely not trained for heat.  But, it's a race I do every year with my friends so I did it. No major problems, aside from cramping in my calfs and shins at mile 25 going up a long, hot hill. I never cramp, so that was a new one for me. I took an S-cap and kept moving, and the cramping went away. Can't really say whether cramping was due to under-training, insufficient electrolytes, or both.  Anyway, it wasn't fatal, although I really wanted to find a tree with some shade, crawl under it, and collapse.  4500' of elevation gain by my watch, mostly rolling hills, which were lovely and green and hot and endless. Finished in 7:22, so I beat my goal of 7:30.  

Some race pics.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

paul2432

Nice job Gatsby.

I ran the Sean O'Brien on Saturday, and wound up dropping down to the 50 miler.  Brutally hot for this time of year.  RR to follow.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Nice work G-bird.  Tough w no shade i bet.  So sunny and colorful pics though.

berylrunner

Rick

37 miles, 5600 gain.  Longest run was 12 miles at a slightly faster pace.  Stubbed a rock and flared the PF slightly.

Gatsby - Good job on your race and thanks for sharing the nice photos.  Irunfar had a recent article on cramping with some interesting info.

Paul - Sorry to hear you didn't get the result you wanted.  Anxious to find out more details.  Crazy to be dealing with hot conditions already.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

drock69

I got past the lottery for the Knee Knacker, it's a 48k/30 miler, but over 8000' of gain, oldest local race, this is the 30th running. Should be fun, I've wanted to do this one for a while

http://kneeknacker.com/

https://www.strava.com/routes/2622756

Club Fat Ass New Years Day 50k - Jan 1 - 6h13m

First Half HM (road) - Feb. 9

Chuckanut 50k - Mar. 21

Sun Run 10k - Apr. 19

BMO Vancouver Marathon - May 3

Vancouver 100k (Club Fat Ass) - 32h07m 2 runs, pacing 100 miler friends

Whistler Alpine Meadows 100 miler - September 25

RWD

Good luck Berylrunner this weekend at RUFA!!!