Ultra Runners

Introduce Yourself? (Read 728 times)

mbk

With the influx of Cool Running refugees there are a lot of new faces here in RunningAhead and probably in this group. It might be nice if we exchanged introductions and got some conversations started. I'll go first! My name is Marshall and I live in a suburb of Dallas, Texas. I started racewalking four years ago and started "ultrawalking" about three years ago. Since then I've completed a number of 50k and 50 mile races, two 24 hour races, a 70 mile race and two 3-day races. Back in June of this year I decided to switch from racewalking to running. I've been building a base in the summer and fall and have just run my first marathon. I'm hoping to run a 50 miler in late spring (Ouachita Trail). My dream goals are to complete a 70 miler in June (Laurel Highlands) and maybe my first 100 miler in October (Heartland). I don't want to be too aggressive and get injured or burned out so I'm just going to play it by ear. I'm a member of the North Texas Trail Runners (as is another member of this group who I hope will also introduce himself). I'm also a walking coach for Team in Training, which I love. Most of my team members are beginners so it is a great experience to help people achieve new goals and do things they never thought possible. I got my start with TNT and it really changed my life. So, who else is here? What are your racing plans/goals? Big grin
    t_runner

I've been on RA for a while.. but just joined the ultra group.. I'm Teresa, from a suburb of Cleveland OH. I've run six marathons, and 2008 is the year for me to step into the ultra world. I am signed up for the Buckeye Trail 50K coming up January 26th. I have plans to run another 50K in July (same course) and a 60K in September. I have overall goals of completing 50 and 100 milers... Welcome to all new folks!

You'll ruin your knees!

Hey Marshall, OK, I'll go... My name is Lynn and, like Marshall, I live in the Dallas area and am involved in a running club that is full of dirty-minded folks called the North Texas Trail Runners. I have been running ultras since 2002, when I discovered that a dirt/rock/root 50K took less of a toll on my body than the marathons I had been running on roads. I gradually built up to my first 50 miler in the Palo Duro Canyon located in West Texas a little over a year after my first venture over 26.2 miles. The race was on at that point and I have found I really enjoy the 50+ mile distances. I completed my first 100 mile race in Huntsville, TX (Rocky Raccoon) in 2006, very pleasantly suprised with a sub-24 hour finish time (23:02). Later in 2006, I decided to try my hand at multi-day racing and signed up for the UltraCentric 48 hour run, where I discovered that I was better in situations where the finish line was a place on a map rather than a point in time... Read: I spent a lot of time curled up in the fetal position in the back of my SUV rather than running (completed a disappointing 118 miles). 2007 was a new year and I have been blessed with the opportunity to run in two different 100 mile runs in the mountains of Wyoming and Wahsington (Bighorn and Cascade Crest) and one challenging 100 mile run in the Hill Country outside of San Antonio, TX (Cactus Rose). I missed out on the lottery for Western States in 2008, but in doing so, I became a two-time loser and should be an automatic entrant in the 2009 version. I hope to use that race as the kick-off to my attempt at a Grand Slam (4 100 mile races in the Summer of 2009 including WS, Vermont, Leadville and Wasatch). Having missed WS for 2008, my goal is now to get into Hardrock and try it for the first time since I qualified for that event. Other than that, I will plan on repeating at Cactus Rose and a few others. My next race will be a 100K at Bandera (same course as Cactus Rose), and then I will see what the calendar allows. Another important aspect of my ultra running is the volunteering. I will be in charge of a key aid station for the 2008 Rocky Raccoon 100/50 mile run, volunteering at the two races my club puts on (Grasslands and Rockledge Rumble) and serving time as an officer of the NTTR group. I hope each of you finds a way to give back to the ultrarunning community as well. Happy New Year! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

who knows...

JC from New Jersey. I got into ultra-running about the same time that I got into running. Partly in response to turning 30, I went from couch to 50K (Turkey Swamp) in about 4-5 months. That was my first race and a treasure trove of learning experience. I am currently training for a 50 mile race (Ice Age Trail) with the intent of continuing on to a 100 mile race (currently looking at Mohican 100).
          "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
          Carl A

Good idea, Marshall! I'm Carl, and I live in northeast Pennsylvania. Like JC, I took up adulthood running at about age 30, when I began running local marathons. Because I'm raising three growing children, I'm currently in the cheap-skate phase of my life. Now that I'm realizing the benefits of long-distance running, I'm trying to encourage the growth of fun, inexpensive ultras. During 2007, I co-organized two free, low-key events, which we're continuing for 2008: - On January 27, a few friends and I are running a local version of the international Yours Truly 50K. - In early August, we'll put on another Viaduct Trail Ultramarathon. Last year's race was on a 68+ mile course, and this is my current distance PR. I probably won't run the VTU this year, but will instead concentrate just on RDing it so my fellow director can take a crack at it. Running those two 2007 races comprises all my ultra experience so far, so I'm relatively new. My plan for 2008 is to run a fast local marathon in the spring and be in good shape for summer ultra training. The end-goal this year is the Delaware 100, in September. After that, we'll see what happens!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Young Gun

Hello,, I'm "Sherpa" John Lacroix and I live in Newmarket, NH just outside historic Portsmouth, NH. I started running in 2004, and ran my first marathon and ultra in 2005. Before I was a runner I was a hiker. My blog is the best way to see whats coming up and where I've been. www.sherpajohn.blogspot.com

www.HumanPotentialRunning.com

sherpagirl

Sherpagirl

Hi am Krista - aka Sherpagirl ... sg. I live in Denver, Colorado. I started running about 12 years ago. I was in the process of making the change from Rock Climbing to Mountaineering ... running seemed like a good idea. I did my first 'hardcore' (or I thought so at the time) event when I soloed the Mt Taylor Winter Quadrathalon. The first year I did it in 6.5 hours, the next year I got a road bike and did it in 6. I spent from 98 - 2000 climbing mountains. My highpoint was 18,880ish on Orizaba in Mexico. 2 months later I tried Aconcagua and got Pulmonary edema at 16,000 feet. My climbing highlights are Mt Rainier and The Grand Teton ... both with an unguided women’s team. I started running again in 2002 I did my first 1/2 in Taos, Imogene Pass and the Steamboat Marathon the following year. I have also ran the Breckenridge Crest and my first 50 last year. My ultimate goal is Leadville, maybe eventually Hardrock. I am a Mountain runner. I am not fast ... I am kind of like a little truck I just keep going. In the summers you can pretty much find me on some remote mountain trail with my camelback, map, gps and a few survival items ... just in case.
                If you're bored ask why you're boring

Wasatch Speedgoat

Howdy.... Steve from New Hampshire and dreaming of moving back to New Mexico where i lived for a little over a year up until July. It'll happen in a few years. I've been here on RA now about a year. Been running for 32 years, 28 marathons and even more ultras, once ran a 2:48 marathon, a 19:40 100 mile and a 4:55 mile (on a track at age 32). Now i am just an older man, age 56, with a head that still thinks he's 26. I still run up to 70 MPW in the Spring when building for the ultras, but now am maintaining, waiting for the kickoff to the new year's training. The end of January I start the hill repeats and tempo runs in prep for Boston, which I have run 13 times as a qualified runner (last one run was 1993 or thereabouts). With all you Texans here (I'm sure Ultrawalker is out there somewhere), just thought I'd let you know that my wife Deb is from Fort Worth...so I am connected a bit Wink Her brother Drew (who also lives in FW) is my ultrarunning hero, running sub 25 at the Leadville 100 at the age of 60 Shocked Anyway, that's me....let's talk. BTW: What Lynn didn't tell you is he finished 2nd at the Cactus Rose 100 Smile Lynn and I are in a race for place in the 2K club with about 2400 for the year! I'm running a 40 mile race in Virginia on Sunday that I hope will push me ahead of him for good....hear that Lynn? Wink Steve, AKA Ultrastevep

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

Howdy.... Steve from New Hampshire and dreaming of moving back to New Mexico where i lived for a little over a year up until July. It'll happen in a few years. I've been here on RA now about a year. Been running for 32 years, 28 marathons and even more ultras, once ran a 2:48 marathon, a 19:40 100 mile and a 4:55 mile (on a track at age 32). Now i am just an older man, age 56, with a head that still thinks he's 26. I still run up to 70 MPW in the Spring when building for the ultras, but now am maintaining, waiting for the kickoff to the new year's training. The end of January I start the hill repeats and tempo runs in prep for Boston, which I have run 13 times as a qualified runner (last one run was 1993 or thereabouts). With all you Texans here (I'm sure Ultrawalker is out there somewhere), just thought I'd let you know that my wife Deb is from Fort Worth...so I am connected a bit Wink Her brother Drew (who also lives in FW) is my ultrarunning hero, running sub 25 at the Leadville 100 at the age of 60 Shocked Anyway, that's me....let's talk. BTW: What Lynn didn't tell you is he finished 2nd at the Cactus Rose 100 Smile Lynn and I are in a race for place in the 2K club with about 2400 for the year! I'm running a 40 mile race in Virginia on Sunday that I hope will push me ahead of him for good....hear that Lynn? Wink Steve, AKA Ultrastevep
                    YOU DOG! I'm trying to taper off to get ready for 100K at Bandera on Jan 5! Not fair! Obviously, I'm kidding, I feel extremely blessed to have been able to stay within sight of you this year! BTW, Ultrawalker is now mbk...he's trying to make made the move from race-walking to running. Drew is an awesome runner, I saw him finish his first 100 mile run at Western States and he was cranking! He had some hydration issues at Leadville, but lasted long enough to nail the finish...then a long ride to the hospital! One tough dude! He's also in the NTTR group that Marshall mentioned. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Greetings, Adam from Minneapolis here. I enjoy reading about everybody's background so here's mine. Was occasional marathon runner until 2006. Did Boston and kind of lost interest in marathoning. Was entered to do the Edmund Fitzgerald 100k as a two-man relay, excited for my first ultra. My partner backed out and I thought 'what the hell, I'll do the whole thing'. That's how my ultra career started, and it was a painful start at that. My only other 'official' ultra has been the Superior Trail 50 in Lutsen, MN. The Superior Hiking Trail is probably my favorite place in the world so you'll be able to find me there every September. I hope to make the ST100 my first 100 mile in Sept. '08. The only other comment of interest is that I'm in the process of carving out a mini-Barkley single-track training trail in the MN river bluffs near my home. To date I've got a 4 mile loop with 1500' of gain per loop. Not quite Barkely standards yet but I'm trying!
                      www.mnultrarunner.blogspot.com
                        Hey all, I'm Jarrod. Here's my story.... I am a chef who about a year and a half ago, decided to give up the cushy country club job and open a health food cafe. So now I work a lot more, make a lot less $, and have a lot more fun. Somewhere in all that, I transitioned from being a casual runner to running marathons and now I am looking to take the next step into ultras. I love running on trails and being in the great out of doors. There is a trail system with 35+ miles of trails across the street from my restaurant and I take full advantage of them whenever possible. I will probably never do a race that involves any more than 4 miles of asphalt. My favorite single activity is mountain biking because nothing else makes me smile as huge, but I really enjoy the entire process of training for and running a long race. Given my professional involvement with food, I have always put a premium on nutrition. I believe what fuels you can give you a huge competitive edge in all aspects of life. Some goals I have are -running the hardrock before my 30th b-day (June 13, 2011) -Backpacking the Colorado trail from end to end -organizing a really cool endurance race in the San Juan Mountains That's about it, my focus is drifting just writing this, I can't imagine someone trying to read it!

Wasatch Speedgoat

YOU DOG! I'm trying to taper off to get ready for 100K at Bandera on Jan 5! Not fair! Obviously, I'm kidding, I feel extremely blessed to have been able to stay within sight of you this year! BTW, Ultrawalker is now mbk...he's trying to make made the move from race-walking to running. Drew is an awesome runner, I saw him finish his first 100 mile run at Western States and he was cranking! He had some hydration issues at Leadville, but lasted long enough to nail the finish...then a long ride to the hospital! One tough dude! He's also in the NTTR group that Marshall mentioned. Lynn B
                          Bandera, what a great race! I ran that several years ago in about 14 hours...last year I went with a bad head cold and stopped at 20 miles. Deb went on to finish. Good luck, wish I were running it! Due to a coming snowstorm Deb and I opted to not drive down to Va, so we went out today and ran 24 on the roads and will do another 15 tomorrow. Have fun at Bandera and hope you stick with the running Marshall! As you know, we don't run much anyway Big grin Oh and Hardrock app goes in next week, hope to see you there, Lynn. Steve

Wasatch Speedgoat

Hey all, I'm Jarrod. Here's my story.... I am a chef who about a year and a half ago, decided to give up the cushy country club job and open a health food cafe. So now I work a lot more, make a lot less $, and have a lot more fun. Somewhere in all that, I transitioned from being a casual runner to running marathons and now I am looking to take the next step into ultras. I love running on trails and being in the great out of doors. There is a trail system with 35+ miles of trails across the street from my restaurant and I take full advantage of them whenever possible. I will probably never do a race that involves any more than 4 miles of asphalt. My favorite single activity is mountain biking because nothing else makes me smile as huge, but I really enjoy the entire process of training for and running a long race. Given my professional involvement with food, I have always put a premium on nutrition. I believe what fuels you can give you a huge competitive edge in all aspects of life. Some goals I have are -running the hardrock before my 30th b-day (June 13, 2011) -Backpacking the Colorado trail from end to end -organizing a really cool endurance race in the San Juan Mountains That's about it, my focus is drifting just writing this, I can't imagine someone trying to read it!
                            Jarrod, I'm sure we'll hook up someday....our interests are so much alike! Last year I lived in Northern New Mexico because of it's closeness to the San Juans, my favorite mountains. I finished Hardrock in 2001 and have been trying ever since with no luck. It is my passion for sure. In a few years we'll be back in NM and close to Silverton.... Welcome to the group! Steve

Jarrod, I'm sure we'll hook up someday....our interests are so much alike! Last year I lived in Northern New Mexico because of it's closeness to the San Juans, my favorite mountains. I finished Hardrock in 2001 and have been trying ever since with no luck. It is my passion for sure. In a few years we'll be back in NM and close to Silverton.... Welcome to the group! Steve
                              Steve, I just realized I have looked at your pics from hardrock and from SJS 50 miler in attempts at motivating myself. They are all top quality. My plan is to run the SJS 50 this year (it will be my longest race thus far). I've got some work ahead to qualify for hardrock by 2010! Jarrod
                                Steve, I just realized I have looked at your pics from hardrock and from SJS 50 miler in attempts at motivating myself. They are all top quality. My plan is to run the SJS 50 this year (it will be my longest race thus far). I've got some work ahead to qualify for hardrock by 2010! Jarrod
                                I made that same realization :-) And his wife designed the shirt last year, I think. Small world :-)