Ultra Runners

New WSER qualifications (Read 84 times)

bhearn

After 2014, no more 50 milers. 100K or 100 miles.

http://www.wser.org/2013/10/24/2015-western-states-100-mile-endurance-run-qualifying-standards/

About time.

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, but I still think the list of 100M qualifiers should be expanded. Black Hills 100, Antelope Island, Rio del Lago, and others are all legitimate races but not qualifiers. Bryce is in. There is still a lot of mystery about why they don't include some races.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Uh oh... now what?

Still ahead of the game:

http://whatisultra.tumblr.com/post/65000316593/main-two-reactions-to-new-western-states-qualifying

I'm gonna lobby for a qualifier in each state.

I'm gonna lobby for a qualifier in each state.

I also wonder how many of the qualifying races also have a lottery (the only one in Washington state does).  That said, I think the changes make sense.  I never understood why they included 50-milers (unless you won the thing).

I'm not clear on what they are trying to achieve with the qualifying standards?  Why include a time for 100k but not 100 mile?   For example a 16 hour cutoff on Hellgate 100K is a lot harder than finishing Indiana Trail 100 in 30 hours which is pretty much totally flat and non-technical...

bhearn

What they are trying to achieve is simple in principle: better odds for lottery entrants. Why the fixed time limit for 100Ks? Because just finishing a 100K (in what could be a very lax cutoff time) doesn't mean nearly as much as just finishing a 100M.

TripleBock

I am not sure how they came up with their list?  I also hope they expand the race list.  We have some decent 100M locally that are not on the list.  Zumbro is much harder than many on the list.  Savage and T-Bunk are easier, but on par with Kettle 100M that is on the list.  But I am still lucky enough to have

Kettle

Superior

Indiana

Burning River

Mohican

Hallucination

Within driving distance

Yeah, but I still think the list of 100M qualifiers should be expanded. Black Hills 100, Antelope Island, Rio del Lago, and others are all legitimate races but not qualifiers. Bryce is in. There is still a lot of mystery about why they don't include some races.

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

TripleBock

Agreed - their goal is to cut the qualified pool significantly to give a person at least a 20% chance of entry.  Since the list of 100 mile races is limited, it will make those races much more popolar and maybe put them in a situation of having a lottery to enter or make their lottery even harder to win.

I think any legitimate 100M trail race should be allowed.

What they are trying to achieve is simple in principle: better odds for lottery entrants. Why the fixed time limit for 100Ks? Because just finishing a 100K (in what could be a very lax cutoff time) doesn't mean nearly as much as just finishing a 100M.

TripleBock

Although I do not disagree with you in theory - It will be hard for me to get qualified for 2015 ~ Becasue of the limited number of races and my job limiting me on what weekends I can run.  I am not sure I will decide to get back into shape, but if I do I cause myself problems as I have a spring race schedule that does not allow 100M, a family vacations that knock out others.

So I am left with

Burning River 8/2-3 ~ But I am not suppose to take off the 1st 5 working days of the month ... so this is questionable as I would need 8/1 for travel.

Mohican 6/21-22 ~ This would be hard because I will have done a 24 hour race 2 weeks before and have completely destroyed myself.

Pinhoti 11/1 - 2 ~ Would mean I would miss a Holloween.  I am part of a church group that gives out candy, hot chocolate and glow items to neighborhood kids on Holloween.

Hellgate 100k - Nope that does not work, that is too late.

So either I have to ruin 1 of  2 goal races for 2014 ~ or maybe both or I will try and force Burning River or Pinhoti

My goal races are (Pending caring enough to train seriously)

4/12/14 Mad City 100k - National Championship race goal (Under 7:30)

6/7-8/14 FANS 24 goal > 145 miles

As far as a 50 mile 100k or 24 hour race results being an indication of being able to complete WS100 ... I am not sure Umstead 100 is better indicator than many of the 50 mile races.  I would take a 50 mile finisher at Superior 50M in under 11 hours over a 26+ hour finished at Umstead.  But that is my 2-cents.

But I think they should have standard and should set them according to their thought process and not mine.

I also wonder how many of the qualifying races also have a lottery (the only one in Washington state does).  That said, I think the changes make sense.  I never understood why they included 50-milers (unless you won the thing).

TripleBock

PS - I still hope they add any 100M trail race or greater.  We have some 150 and 200 mile races that do not qualify you.

Heck there is a little race in TN only a few people have ever finished ... not on the list.

I would take a 50 mile finisher at Superior 50M in under 11 hours over a 26+ hour finished at Umstead.  But that is my 2-cents.

I know a runner that finished Superior 50M in <11 hours but failed to finish a 100 miler on a course with similar elevation gain (~17000 ft) to WS100.Black eye

I think two factors go into completing WS100 within the cutoff time - 1) Experience and 2) Speed.  If they are trying to narrow the field based on most likely to finish then I would say remove anything less than 100 miles and add time limits for easy 100s like Umstead, Indiana, etc.

Also, I agree on the distances longer than 100, and even timed races.  If you can run 120 miles in  a 24 hour race you have the speed to complete WS100.

TripleBock

I am sure there are 100M finishers that have DNF'd WS100.

But I am fine with whatever they set up ~ just hopeful to expand the list.

But I am also hopeful to start to run again

And now new Hardrock qualifications.

SillyC

I'm a little annoyed - one of the races I wanted to do is on the list of qualifiers (Laurel Highlands).  I don't really want to run WS, but now I'm afraid that Laurel Highlands will be hard to get into as a result of it being a WS qualifier.

I do wish there were more races one could use as a qualifier!  Especially in the Northeast.

TripleBock

Same conversation as last time - Some of the few choices seem haphazrd and not scientific.  But it is thier gig ~ No chance for mid-west person to run a qualifying race without flying.

And now new Hardrock qualifications.