Ultra Runners

Croom Fools Run versus DancesWithDirt Florida (Green Swamp) (Read 444 times)

Guys:

Has anyone run either of these Florida 50-milers? Am looking for a first-ever 50-miler.  Have run dozens of marathons and ran my first 50K last October (the John Holmes 50K).

DancesWithDirt is February.  Croom is April.

Which of these would be best for a first-timer at the 50-mile distance?

Rod Lauredo

Though I have not run either of these races I have run at Croom several times and am familiar with the trails.  Just  few small hills, very good footing, decent amount of shade... great for running.  Since you did the John Holmes 50k some of the Croom 50 loop is on the same exact trail, just run in the opposite direction. 

I have talked to people that have done the DanceswithDirt and those trails are a little tougher.  Though it's mostly runnable they said there were some sections where they take you off the main trail and you have to do some bushwacking though the swamp.

The real unknown would be the weather.  I'd say your chances of having good weather would be a lot better in February than April but you just never know.   Either race would be a great choice for a first timer.

xor

I too have not run these races, but I'm very familiar with DWD.  They intentionally make things extra hard/muddy/etc.  If that sounds great, have at it.  If it doesn't, do not pass go.  If you aren't sure, do a DWD 26.2 or 50k before deciding to make a whole day of adventure.

Rod,

I just registered for DWD.  See you there if you decide on that one.

I have heard that the Croom run is close to capacity.  It did sell out last year.

KvnJns

I ran the DWD Gnaw Bone 50M last year and I can agree with srlopez comments. Randy Step (race director & owner of Running Fit) intentionally makes then difficult and takes you far off the beaten path. Is it doable, hell yeah. I recommend that you put in some solid training and have a strong mind and the will to finish. Gnaw Bone was my first 50 miler. Would I do it again??? That is yet to be determined but I am considering DWD Hell this fall. 

A little DWD extra: we went up 2 hills that we were literally using small saplings to pull our selves up to the top (raining, slippery & very steep). We had more creek & stream crossings than I can remember and ran in mud that was well over your ankles which wanted to take your shoes off every time you tried to lift your foot. It would have been more fun if it wasn't raining but either way It was a blast !!!!

Kevin

I ran the DWD Gnaw Bone 50M last year and I can agree with srlopez comments. Randy Step (race director & owner of Running Fit) intentionally makes then difficult and takes you far off the beaten path. Is it doable, hell yeah. I recommend that you put in some solid training and have a strong mind and the will to finish. Gnaw Bone was my first 50 miler. Would I do it again??? That is yet to be determined but I am considering DWD Hell this fall. 

A little DWD extra: we went up 2 hills that we were literally using small saplings to pull our selves up to the top (raining, slippery & very steep). We had more creek & stream crossings than I can remember and ran in mud that was well over your ankles which wanted to take your shoes off every time you tried to lift your foot. It would have been more fun if it wasn't raining but either way It was a blast !!!!

Looks like the DWD Greenswamp ultra will be consistent with their other races.

I just received this in a prerace email:

The Head Goat says, we've tweaked the course a little ... if we didn't you would need a snorkel ... and one of those shark cages!  He suggests thin socks and tightly laced shoes ... so you don't hold much moisture.  So, if you're thinkin' you need to bring an extra pair of shoes, the goat says "bring LOTS"!

I guess I can assume from SRL and your comments that they are not kidding.

xor

Well, they've pumped it up bigger, perhaps, then it will really be... but yeah, they intentionally throw stuff like that in.

Good luck.

Well, other than a short river crossing and some bushwacking through stickerbushes the course was in good shape and mainly on nice runnable trails.   Unfortunately I had some issues with my knee and decided to take a DNF.