Ultra Runners

DWD Gnaw Bone (Read 496 times)

KvnJns

May 15th, 2010.

Anyone going?

Trent? I think I remember that you may have had a little interest in this one.

Kevin

corland

Anyone ever done this one?  Input?

50/50.  Would like to hear from anyone who has done it as well.

Thanks

Anyone ever done this one?  Input?

I ran part of a 50K recently with a guy who did this.  He said there were portions of the course where they deliberately took you off the trail to run through brush, mud, etc.  All this is second hand word of mouth, but it isn't the first time I've heard it's a tough race.  If you are looking for hard, I would guess this is for your race.  If you are looking for a scenic, midwest trail race, I would not pick this as my first choice. 

Kalsarikännit

I have done the DWD-Hell.  It was fantastic.  They put on a heck of a race.  They do take you completely off trail.  All of a sudden you are following ribbons in the middle of nowhere.  It is kind of funny.  They mark it well, so if you are paying attention, you will have no problems.  In Hell, we were also dragged through deep swamps.  I'm 5'11" and stayed upright the whole race, yet my pigtails were completely caked in mud.  Different sections had names like Where's the F'n Bridge, This Sucks, and Stripper Pole. 

I heard Gnaw Bone is just as good.  I recommend it.  Just don't go looking for a PR.  I'm going to be hiking on the AT, otherwise I would be there. 

Also, I have done Tecumseh, which is right in the same area.  That Brown County area is beautiful.  And hilly.  Plus Bloomington and Nashville are two cool towns to spend some time in.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

KvnJns

I think I have decided to go for the 50K instead of the 50 miler. I just don't think I am quite ready for 50 miles. After a tough 20 miles on trails yesterday I know I can do 50K but 50 miles is pushing it. Should be fun regardless.

Kevin

Good call Kevin, there is no need to beat yourself up, get this one under your belt and build from there. I think getting a  32 mile run on trail is very laudable. You can have a go at the next 50 miler...well worth it.

Jerry
                A runners blog-updated daily

DoppleBock

I might be able to be talked into Devils Lake July 10th ... I am checking with people from my running group for interest - Since I only show up every 6-8 weeks, this may take awhile.

I have done the DWD-Hell.  It was fantastic.  They put on a heck of a race.  They do take you completely off trail.  All of a sudden you are following ribbons in the middle of nowhere.  It is kind of funny.  They mark it well, so if you are paying attention, you will have no problems.  In Hell, we were also dragged through deep swamps.  I'm 5'11" and stayed upright the whole race, yet my pigtails were completely caked in mud.  Different sections had names like Where's the F'n Bridge, This Sucks, and Stripper Pole. 

I heard Gnaw Bone is just as good.  I recommend it.  Just don't go looking for a PR.  I'm going to be hiking on the AT, otherwise I would be there. 

Also, I have done Tecumseh, which is right in the same area.  That Brown County area is beautiful.  And hilly.  Plus Bloomington and Nashville are two cool towns to spend some time in.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not this year.  I am not back to myself.
                    KvnJns

I read this race report almost a year ago and just finished reading it again.

I had an intense motivation to get the race done, which helped. It is amazing, the things that will motivate a person to run 40+ miles, and to do it in a pre-specified time. Among my mental mantras all day was "sub-7", which I interpreted to mean "red tee shirt". A five dollar cotton shirt that I did not need drove me. It caused me to run when I had nothing, to push through pain and fatigue, up mean hills and through cramps.  -Trent-

Of course this is a small portion of the report but It is things like this that push me and yet here I am considering running 50K when for the last 6 months my goal has been 50 miles. This decision is killing me. I know I have what it takes mentally......or do I.

AHHH, what the hell am I doing?

Kevin

who knows...

I am considering this one.
                        "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I had an intense motivation to get the race done, which helped. It is amazing, the things that will motivate a person to run 40+ miles, and to do it in a pre-specified time. Among my mental mantras all day was "sub-7", which I interpreted to mean "red tee shirt". A five dollar cotton shirt that I did not need drove me. It caused me to run when I had nothing, to push through pain and fatigue, up mean hills and through cramps.  -Trent-

Best race of my 2010. Nice shirt too.