Ultra Runners

Triple Training (Read 346 times)

Oh Mighty Wing

Hi, I was just hoping to get some thoughts on a question: Would training for a triple be like training for an ultra? I'm looking to do a triple in the fall and was thinking that an ultra training plan might be the best way to do that. But I wasn't sure if they are really the same beast. So I thought I would ask here. It's very early, but never too early to start thinking about it all. I won't even sign up until April and 16-weeks out puts me in June. So until then I have LOTS of running to do in order to get my base up to where it needs to be for all the ultra plans I looked at. Anyway, thanks in advance for all your thoughts.
    mbk

I'm not sure what you mean by Triple. Is that a three day race?

Oh Mighty Wing

I'm not sure what you mean by Triple. Is that a three day race?
        oh yeah sorry. 3 marathons in 3 days.
        mbk

I've done two three day races (20k/60k/40k and 50k/50 mile/20k) and when training for them I just tried to simulate the race experience by doing long runs back to back as often as possible. When my ultra training goes well I will do between 20 and 35 miles on Saturday and Sunday, such as last weekend when I did 30 miles on Saturday and 20 miles of hills on Sunday. I hope to do the same thing this weekend. When training for the three day races I would do something like 6-8 on Monday, too. The other thing I found important during both training and racing was taking ice baths. I don't think I could have completed the races if not for them. At the first three day race we would wade into the river up to our waists in the freezing cold water. It worked wonders. So if I were you I would build up to some three day streaks such as 20/20/10, and even do something like 20/24/18. I don't think there's any formula, just try to get in the miles and get used to running while tired and sore since you will do that during the triple. Which three marathons are you planning to do?
            Right now we have 3 marathons, I would look at not upping you distance in any other way to what you would for a marathon, no more that 20 miles but the way you put your schedule together will differ As you build up and progress into the training I would certainly be doing some regular back-to-back days to allow your body to adapt to the idea of running the next day and to get used to running "on tired legs". You will get to know your body but a Friday/Saturday/Sunday pattern could be along the lines of: 8/10/10 10/12/14 20/8/20 I also would reckon that you will have to think about the way you are going to take on nutrition on the run and start taking carb gels/ potato wedges much earlier in the runs so that you are not relying on your carb reserves which will be very depleted. You should try to practice eating on the run, find the foods that agree with you and experiment with different types, nuts, dried fruits, cereal bars, the list goes on Towards the middle and end part of your training you will almost be discarding the mid-week short runs allowing your body to take on the 3 runs already described. I also suggest that you have long cycle down weeks where you run relatively low mileage and even think about have a week off once in a while to allow your body to recover from any injuries. My starters for 10.

Jerry
            A runners blog-updated daily

Oh Mighty Wing

Thanks for all the good information!! I will definitely keep this all in mind as I get to these points. Right now I'm focusing on building my mileage and staying consistent. I'm looking to do the Tahoe Triple. It'll bring interesting challenges but i'm excited about it.
              Carl A

Most ultra runners that I know don't really follow training plans. They just train as much as they can while still covering the other responsibilities of life. You should probably try to gradually increase your weekly mileage. However, if that tends to cause injuries for you, try at least to get in more cross training, like biking, swimming, snow shoveling, and/or ditch digging. For running and walking training, I'd definitely do some back-to-back 20s to see how your body responds and make adjustments in food, drinks, shoes, and clothes before race time. Marshall and Jerry's ideas sound good to me. That sounds like a great event--enjoy the journey there, and let us know how it's going!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

ShanHas, I am also going to add, make sure you increase your distances very gradually and don't rush to get to the distance. Your body is going to go through some big changes over the next few months and you have got to look after yourself. I think you may have seen my post in the Swamp about my suspected fractured metatarsal, I have a feeling it may have been caused by the heavy trail ultras and long distances I have been running of late, one clunk and I am out of the picture for a little while.

Jerry
                  A runners blog-updated daily

Oh Mighty Wing

I did - you have nice legs Smile Thank you. I will build slow and steady. And hopefully will be able to do so injury free - we will see.

Oh Mighty Wing

I SIGNED UP!!!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!!!! Just wanted to share!!!
                      Carl A

There's nothing like writing your name on an entry blank (or typing it and hitting "send") to boost the old training drive. Congratulations on the commitment, and good luck!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Oh Mighty Wing

thanks! I'm think it will be a fun journey if nothing else!!! I will probably be back here asking questions as the summer approaches and I really start to focus my training. Right now I'm just base building (ugh I mean training for a 13.1 and a 26.2 or 3 this spring!)
                            I'm exhausted just reading this thread. Think I'll go eat a potato and take a nap . . . . Wink

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance