Ultra Runners

Kettle Moraine 100 miler (Read 587 times)

I've decided to give a 100 miler a chance in June. I'm trying to determine what kind of food to eat during it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

You'll ruin your knees!

Well, different things work for different people. I have had success with pb&j sandwiches, boiled potatoes, turkey and avacado on a four tortilla, chicken noodle soup (mainly at night), Cliff shot blocks, trail mix, Ensure... The best advice I can offer is to try different combinations on your long training runs. Try to see what agrees with your stomach, particularly in conditions you expect to see at KM... (warm, muggy?)... I know folks that do 100s competitively who take nothing but liquid calories... that would never work for me, but seems to work well for them. You may want to check out www.run100s.com for nutrition information. Additionally, I suggest you get your hands on as many race reports as you can (especially those from your target race) and read them, re-read them, and read them again... Good luck! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Jeff - I knew you'd succumb to a long ultra at some point! Ha! In addition to the above, check out this: http://www.ultrunr.com/index.html . A very comprehensive site. You will definitely need to take in solid calories - in addition to plenty of electrolyte balanced fluids. Remember to eat as much as you can early and whenever you feel like it - chances are you won't feel like eating later in the race. btw - my money is on you running a pretty scorching time.

Oh Mighty Wing

Jeff - I knew you'd succumb to a long ultra at some point! Ha!
          Me too!!! Ohh I'm excited!!!!
            thank you jlynnbob and purdey for the resources and advice...now time for some experimentation and training fatigue. yes, Shan, I'm also excited...and a bit concerned. My goals for this are ambitious.
            And you know sometimes it gets so painful Just like talking to yourself When everything don't seem to have no rhyme or reason We all go Do do loo do do, do do loo do do Waiting for the sun to shine

Oh Mighty Wing

yes, Shan, I'm also excited...and a bit concerned. My goals for this are ambitious.
              The way I see it is that you wouldn't have done what you've done so far with running if you weren't ambitious.

You'll ruin your knees!

Jeff, I have been thinking about this a good bit. I have to admit that it is exciting to see someone set their eye on a goal like this but I have a few questions... Have you done what you want to do with marathons and shorter distances? You are a very talented runner and you have a great mileage base...I have no doubt that you can achieve the KM goal. That said, I wonder if you are setting yourself up for a frustrating year if you focus both on speed and on the 100. From your PR marathon race report (yes, you sobered up by the time you got to the end of the report... My goal should have been 2:27 and I think I now know how to get it. 1.) Do intervals before tempo work during training weeks. 2.) Run harder 3.) Run longer 4.) Run harder I can't help but point out that your marathon PR and your ambitious goal for KM may be in direct conflict. I am not a negative person and am more likely to say go for it than not, but I think your ambition for KM 100 can derail your 2:27 goal... Mind you, I'll never see anything on your side of 3:30 in the marathon, so I can't appreciate what it's like to turn in a few dozen 5:50's back to back, but I can appreciate the difference between slogging through a 100 mile race and running one "with ambition" (again, making a leap of faith assumption that your "ambition" for KM isn't simply to finish...). OK, I've gotten that off my chest. Hope you are not offended and I'll pledge any support I can provide in helping you prepare for KM...(that is IF that is really what you want in 2009). My best to you, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I suspect that Jeff's goal is to win. To win in a very decent time. Just saying.

Hey Lynn, thank you for wishes and thoughts (and I even got referenced in my own thread Smile)...and you'd really have to do something nasty to ever offend me (murder?) Smile yeah, I've been trying to reconcile a training plan that retains speed and allows for ultra distance since my goals really range from 5k to 100 miles. My basic plan isn't much different than what I do every week except to make the mid-week long run longer (25-30) and the weekend long run about 40-50 every 3 weeks. I'm believing that the overmileage will also have a positive effect on the marathon distance as well, but the goal race for the marathon is still in the fall. Any races coming up? Jeff

You'll ruin your knees!

Purdey, I don't doubt that your are correct! Jeff, I do think that slight modifications to your current running routine will give you a good shot at running well in KM. From my experience, primarily in 2007, I upped my weekly mileage a good bit in 2007 and did a number of ultras, including 3 100's. The 100's I selected were challenging, either mountain races or pretty rocky, technical trails, with about 6 weeks between each of them. I didn't do any specific speed-work or hill-work, but did find my average pace per mile dropped as the year progressed. In fact, I ran a very fast (for me) 10K a month after the third 100, so it seems doable...but I am still thinking that a sub-2:30 marathon AND ambitious goals for a 100 in the same timeframe could conflict. On another thought... I know several folks who do quite well in the 100 mile events who never train over 3 hours! I could get you more information on their nutruition strategies for the long races if you are interested. Lynn B MTA: forgot to respond to your question about upcoming races. I am not racing right now, only have one in mind for this year, but not until July.

Carl A

I've decided to give a 100 miler a chance in June. I'm trying to determine what kind of food to eat during it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
                        You're already in way better running shape than I'll probably ever be, so I'm glad that you asked a food question! My favorite foods during my one and only hunnert were these: - Jelly Lifesavers - Power gels (caffeinated at night) - Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - chocolate Boost - Spaghetti Os - warm chicken soup - water - Gatorade This was a self-supported fatass, so I had to choose my own food beforehand. I tried to get in 110-250 calories every half hour. More calories, if your stomach can handle it, would be even better. The KM website says that you go through aid stations 21 times. For a run like that, I would maybe just carry a water bottle, cram down food at the aid staions, and grab some more there to carry in a fanny pack or jacket pockets for in between the stations. Have fun and if you win it, remember that you owe it all to us.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I could get you more information on their nutruition strategies for the long races if you are interested.
                          I would be interested. I appreciate all your help.
                            My favorite foods during my one and only hunnert were these: - Power gels (caffeinated at night) - warm chicken soup Have fun and if you win it, remember that you owe it all to us. .
                            I really like this. I hadn't really thought about the caffeinated gels. Have you ever tried Ensure? ...and of course, credit will always be given where credit is due.
                            Purdey

Self anointed title

...but I am still thinking that a sub-3:30 marathon AND ambitious goals for a 100 in the same timeframe could conflict.
                              I sincerely hope you meant a sub 2:30!
                              I really like this. I hadn't really thought about the caffeinated gels. Have you ever tried Ensure? ...and of course, credit will always be given where credit is due.
                              Jeff - in a recent 50, I ate just bananas and a handful of carbo gels (half of which had added caffeine). This seemed to work well. Of course, in a 100, you will have to eat significantly more - and more solid stuff. But the gels worked well. For ease, try to find ones that you can take without additional water - seem to go down better. Tom

You'll ruin your knees!

I sincerely hope you meant a sub 2:30!
                                That's what I said... Tongue