Ultra Runners

Stupidity runs its course... (Read 597 times)

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/ultra/forum/bb57dfc9ace54bc89f9c2db18b7c741b/0

Despite some solid advice to wait the stupids won this round and in 17 short days I will start my first 100 mile jaunt through the mountains at the Cascade Crest Classic 100.

Not long after my initial post things got interesting. I got a stress fracture/reaction in my right tibia and was benched for 6 weeks.Not surprisingly, stupidity took hold and I couldn't stop myself from sending in my registration a week after my diagnosis. Other than sending in the check I made no commitment to running it at this point ( I knew I could get some $ back should it not work out), but I wanted to have the option and the race fills up quickly. I cross trained like a fiend and once the fracture healed I started back at it gradually.

I had hoped to have a few more long races under my belt and some higher mileage weeks, but I'm feeling ok about it. Since my fracture I've done two 50 milers, one 50k, and three marathons. I've run the tougher parts of the course and gotten in some good training runs. Things haven't gone as planned, but I think I stand a good chance of finishing. Sure I would like to have a great race, but given all that's happened and my rush to try the distance I will be happy with finishing this one.

So... any last pieces of wisdom? Any advice on what to tell my crew and how to plan the logistics? All advice is welcome. Thanks again for the encouragement early on.

~Sara
    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

who knows...

Since it is your first 100 miler, I say "just have fun." Don't worry too much about time. But don't sit down. Keep moving. Take lots of pictures. As far as your crew, tell them beforehand what you want or think you'll need at different points in the race (types of food, types of encouragement, etc.). That way you don't have to think about it at mile 80.

MTA: "beforehand" (clarification)

"There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
      Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'll second the "just have fun."

But, what do I know - I'm 0 for 2 on 100-miler completion!

Liz

pace sera, sera

DoppleBock

Even if you want to be a bit faster, here is what I have found out:

The 1st 70 miles go with the relaxed attitude and running ... run /walk ... walk up hills and enjoy the race - echoing "Just have fun".  The last 30 miles will be very tough, if you decide you feel so good you want to push it - do it in the last 30 miles.

I think a great goal would be to take care of your body (pace / hyrdation / nutrition / electrolyes) good enough to enjoy the last 30 miles.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

BTW - Its funny, but I also believe this will get you to your best time for the 100.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

You'll ruin your knees!

Just go to the next aid station. 

Expect the trail from hell to be worse than it's name...

Good luck,

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Thanks. I still need to work out the crew instructions/logistics. How specific were you with your crews?

DB I think you are so right. That is the plan. I don't want a 30 mile suffer-fest in the end.

Thanks Lynn. I did the Trail from Hell in the dark last month. I thought it was kinda fun, but then again I did it at the start of the run on fresh legs and with a clear head. It will probably seem like a whole new trail when I do it in a few weeks. Was that your least favorite part?

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

You'll ruin your knees!

Thanks. I still need to work out the crew instructions/logistics. How specific were you with your crews?

DB I think you are so right. That is the plan. I don't want a 30 mile suffer-fest in the end.

Thanks Lynn. I did the Trail from Hell in the dark last month. I thought it was kinda fun, but then again I did it at the start of the run on fresh legs and with a clear head. It will probably seem like a whole new trail when I do it in a few weeks. Was that your least favorite part?

I ran it with no crew/pacer

DB is wise.

Trail from Hell... my legs were not fresh and my head was not clear.  Also, at the AS right before, I asked for water in both my handhelds and got HEED by mistake... took it to a whole new depth of Hell for me.  All night with no hydration... There were lots of trees down across the trail, many requiring hands and knees to get under, or climbing up on top of the trunk... Definitely my least favorite part...

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Kalsarikännit

Just go to the next aid station. 

That's all it is.  Nothing more, nothing less.

My three 100 mile essentials:  Body Glide, Pepto, 5 Hour Energy.  You can achieve anything with this trifecta.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Eww Heed. That does sound like hell. The bridge was out when I did it so there might be a delightful river crossing as well this year. At this point I am still wimpy about noises in the dark so I will have a pacer.

I have never tried 5 hour energy. I think I have a new secret weapon.

~Sara

Going farther than ever before - very cool.

Good luck, smalcolm!

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Befriending the noises in the dark (whatever yours may be) - priceless!

Looking forward to reading all about it!

Liz

pace sera, sera

who knows...

BTW - Its funny, but I also believe this will get you to your best time for the 100.

I definitely agree with this.

Good luck, smalcolm!

"There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

Keeping in mind that I dropped at Hyak last year (M53), the first part of the course can sneak up on you if you go out too fast. Take it easy, stretch out your legs, and walk when you can. This will do wonders for you later in the race.

Good luck. If i am still walking after Waldo (8/21), I think I'm going to head up to Easton and volunteer.

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

You'll ruin your knees!

Here is my Cascade Crest Report from 2007.  Perhaps there is something in there that will help you prepare mentally... 

Good luck,

Lynn