Ultra Runners

My God, this sport has folk with heart! - Only this one's breaking! (Read 128 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Posted in the Runner's World Trail Running Forum... WOW!, just WOW! I've been wondering for over a week if I should post on this subject, but have decided I need to share. My darling husband fell while out feeding our horses and sustained a traumatic brain injury in mid-May. This was tramatic brain injury number two, his first (and much worse) being in February of 1995. He wasn't supposed to recover from that one but did, with flying colors. The head injury a month ago was much less serious. Or so I thought. Roger was taken to the hospital immediately by a guy who works for us part time. The CT scan showed no injury. He was released and came home. That was a Thursday. The following Monday his brain started to bleed. He went back into the hospital that night and never came out. He was in ICU in Roseville for more than a week and then to Auburn Acute Rehab. He received the best care possible. He never recovered. You may remember I posted about falling and hurting my knee on day 2 of the WS training weekend. I guess I was preoccupied with my husband's condition. My knee is o.k. My life is forever changed. My darling husband died on June 12, just after 10 p.m. I was with him until the end. It was not an easy passing, he fought until the very end. I kept telling him it was o.k., that I'd be o.k. I thought he needed to hear it. I think I needed to hear it too although I didn't believe it for a minute. I feel so lost now, so alone. I have wonderful friends, both in the running community and outside the running community. They are trying so hard to ease my pain, but I guess the pain will only ease in its own time. I've been going back and forth as to whether I should go to States and pin on the number and start, put one foot in front of the other to see how far I can go. I've been running some since my life changed, but not much. It is while running, however, that I feel the most peace. I know I can run 100 miles, I've done it before. I know that my husband would be very unhappy with me if I didn't at least try. He was an endurance rider, a Tevis finisher. He and I started Tevis twice together. I finished, but he didn't those times as both times he was on a horse that wasn't quite ready, but both times he said he wanted to start to see how far the horse would go. I'm sort of feeling that way now. I want to see how far I can go. Maybe it will help me heal. If not starting would have meant someone on a wait list would have gotten a chance I would have opted out in a heartbeat. That's not the case. If I don't start, no one else will start in my place. I'm so sorry that this is such a long, rambling message. Maybe I shouldn't have posted it at all. Kathy here's the link

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

My sweet new crank!

I have some steps for her... I truely hope that she finds and follows her heart. I can run a few for her, not even that she will ever know, but that others will hopefully share this. I do think we can never have too much perspective... my kids and wife will get an extra kiss goodnight tonight. Warmest to you all!!! And a special prayer for Kathy and her family.
      Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
      Purdey

Self anointed title

So very, very sad. Let's hope that running will help her through the torment. My prayers are with her.