Ultra Runners

Anyone ever done the 24-Hour "Around the Lake" race in Massachussetts? (Read 359 times)

To begin, I have set some lofty goals for 2013 as far as ultra racing.  The only items I have under my belt are one 24-hour race in April 2012, and one 50K which I did about a month ago.  Weekly mileage was at 20 mpw from July-September, now moving consistently into the 30-40 mpw range.    From that, I have now scheduled three 24-Hour ultra races for 2013 (April, September and December) and am considering a fourth to fill out the year. (July).

The race I am considering in July is the 24-Hour "Around the Lake" race in Massachussetts.  www.srr.org/events/annual_events/24hour/

Has anyone run this race before and have any information or personal opinions about this one?   At first look, it looks like a good race that has been around for some time.  The 3-mile loop sounds like a nice distance for a loop.  I can just run at 6 mph and get 2 loops per hour for 16 hours (32 loops) and done with the 100 miles, right?   (Okay, bad joke on that last sentence. :-) )   Although I must admit that I will very strongly have to fight the urge to get laps in the bank at a 2 laps per hour pace in the early stages.  That was the mistake I made in my first 24 and I paid dearly, so I will incorporate walking and a slower low impact jog pace from the start.  One concern I do have is the possibility of hot temps in July, such as risk of a heat wave at race time.

But back to the main point, have any of you folks run the Mass. 24-Hour race?  Opinions? (Or race reports?!)  Thanks :-)  Also, pls feel free to tell me if four 24-hour races in a year for a newbie is too many.  My thought however is that at least 2 months inbetween each one provides ample cushion for reset and recovery time.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

This is really in no way an answer to your question(s), but I'm planning to be there this year for the 12 hour option. I have a couple friends who have done various distances there and spoken highly of it.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I don't have any feedback on that particular race, but I would highly recommend upping your mileage into the 40-50 mile/week range on a consistent basis, working up to a 50-60 mile/week 3-4 weeks before your races.

FurShirtFlyer

One thing I would recommend is to train for the heat. I had trouble in the past with heat during races. One thing I changed this last year in my training is that I started to run more afternoon runs. Granted I was running two-a-days. But it is a nice way to get acclimated. A long-ish or hard run in the AM followed by an easier short run in the afternoon. It paid dividends for me this year.

During the race, I would recommend wearing a hat and filling it with ice during the heat of the day. I ran Mind The Ducks 12 hour this year and it go fairly hot during the afternoon. I was stuggling to complete 2-3 laps (half-mile) before I would have to walk for a couple of laps. As soon as I shoved some ice under my hat and I also had an ice-bandana, I could run 4-5 laps comfortably before walking. And just remember to keep moving with a purpose even if you have to walk. Laps are Laps are Laps! They all count in a 24 hour race.

Kalsarikännit

Four 24 hour races in a year sounds like a lot. Of course, it is so individual. It depends on your goals, training, and how good you are at recovering. I guess you will be using each race to train for the other races.

I know of a person in the main forums who runs that loop around the lake all the time. I bet if you asked this question in the main forum and just post the name of the lake as the subject line, mikeymike can give you some helpful answers to your questions about weather and the course.

I really want to do this race (holy smokes it pays $$$!) but it takes place during RAGBRAI, aka the best week on earth.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Purdey

Self anointed title

Four 24 hour races in a year sounds like a lot.

Yep.  Unless you are aiming for < 50 miles in 24hrs, racing that event four times in a year is alot.

(holy smokes it pays $$$!)

Seriously?  Wow.  That is the first time I've heard of a 24hr race with a purse.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Kris, looking forward to meeting you at NC 24 in September. Since last year's race had torrential rains, high winds, hail, cold, and other unpleasantries, I'm expecting heat and sun this year. Come prepared. I'll be in the 12 hour race.

Purdey - North Coast 24 has cash awards for the top three male and female in the 24-hour race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

--A couple responses, on the issue of weekly mileage being 40 MPW for a good while, then ramping up to 50-60 MPW by 3 weeks out from race, that is the plan I had in mind :-)  I started out the new year at 40 MPW and will be doing 40-45 MPW every single week the next couple months, and if my body takes that well, will boost to 50+ a week in prep for the April race.  Same plan leading into the July and other races as well.

--The "Ice on the head" idea, that sounds like a great one.  And I may likely use that considering the temps in July will absolutely not be optimal running temps, even if the weather is a "normal" 75-80 degree day.

-- On the thought that four of these 24-hour events might be alot for one year, main thing I can say is that I felt dreadful in many ways after my first 24 hour attempt last year.  But felt at least 90% recovered within a couple days, and seemed 100% just a couple weeks later, so I would assess my recovery time as being pretty quick.  I'm thinking that 2-3 months between them seems enough for me to recuperate, then ramp back up mileage again. (Hope I am right!)  But I will not officially register for each one till after I have survived the one before without injury.  Seems none of these 24-hour things ever sell out, so no worries there..

-- To Purdey, I am aiming for 75ish in each race, possibly less in some, hopefully 80+ in at least one of them, so each will be a pretty full-out effort. (Easy to say right now at the computer when I am resting :-) )

-- To WC Runner, I will see you there, will be looking forward to meeting you!  (And I am still surprised that with all of your running experience, you've never tackled one of these 12+ hour things before)   What happens to the mind after many hours of running is quite interesting, but I felt it a great experience after my first race last year and I'd imagine that most folks who have done one feel pretty similar on it.  Will see you there!

xor

FWIW, if you want to hold 40 mpw, that's ok if that's what you want to do.  But increasing to 60 mpw three weeks out from a race will have pretty much zero training benefit.  And ramps up your mileage exactly when you might consider ramping DOWN your mileage (aka taper) for the race.  I'm a bit puzzled by that.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

-- To WC Runner, I will see you there, will be looking forward to meeting you!  (And I am still surprised that with all of your running experience, you've never tackled one of these 12+ hour things before)   What happens to the mind after many hours of running is quite interesting, but I felt it a great experience after my first race last year and I'd imagine that most folks who have done one feel pretty similar on it.  Will see you there!

The closest I've come was a 24-hour relay, but that was a mile at a time and I was getting 45 minutes rest between miles while my 6 teammates ran theirs.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FWIW, if you want to hold 40 mpw, that's ok if that's what you want to do.  But increasing to 60 mpw three weeks out from a race will have pretty much zero training benefit.  And ramps up your mileage exactly when you might consider ramping DOWN your mileage (aka taper) for the race.  I'm a bit puzzled by that.

--- Good Point...  Sometimes I forget that April 2013 is only 3 months away.  12 weeks...    Well, I am thinking of a 40 MPW base (at a minimum) every week in Jan and Feb, touching 50 MPW on some of those weeks in Jan and Feb. (Possibly only achieving 60 mpw on a week or two only).  Then the downshift in Mid-March 3-4 weeks out from the race.   ---One thing I know for certain and am excited about is I am much better prepared in '13 than in '12.  I think I was at about 20 MPW back then...  

Really?  I've seen a few plans (including the one I'm following from "Relentless Forward Progress") that have you gradually build to your highest mileage three weeks out from your race then you start your taper.  In addition to the gradual build-up, you'd work in cut-back weeks.  (Although I guess the absolute highest mileage week in RFP is 5 weeks out, but it's still pretty high three weeks out).  For example, in the 100-miler training plan on 50 miles per week, you work up to 51 miles 7 weeks out from the race, have a cut-back week, then run 58 miles (which includes a 50-mile training run), cut-back week, then 52 miles three weeks out.  Your mileage would then reduce to 35 miles, then 27, then the race.

xor

Right.  There's a taper there.

I read Kris' plan as doing the build three weeks out.  I read it as training that is basically 40mpw, except for a couple 60 mile weeks.If one is going to run 40 mile weeks week in and week out and then a couple 50-60 mile weeks, I contend that those 2 weeks really aren't going to do a lot.  However, on re-reading what he wrote, I missed the words "to" and "by"... I guess there's a more typical build.  So listen to Betsy and not to me :-)

FWIW, not that I count to 100 so my opinion doesn't matter much, I find RFP's plans to be oddly light. But they work and he got input from lots of people behind the scenes so that's just commentary on my mis-knowledge than true input on his plans.

FWIW, not that I count to 100 so my opinion doesn't matter much, I find RFP's plans to be oddly light. But they work and he got input from lots of people behind the scenes so that's just commentary on my mis-knowledge than true input on his plans.

I agree; they definitely are rather light, especially the 50 mile/week plan.  (That's pretty much why I increased mine to about 60 miles/week).  Mind you, even by increasing I figure it's just going to get me to the finish.  For Cascade Crest I'm planning on using the Ultraladies plan as a guideline (http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-100m.asp).

Of course, we're all an experiment of one.  What works for one person may not work for another.  I'm really trying to wean myself away from following a strict plan since I think I finally have enough experience to come up with a schedule that works for ME.  But gosh darnit -- I like the structure of a plan!!!

Trail Monster

EDRW, I feel you! I'm only doing one week at a time right now. Plan the next 7 days of workouts and see how everything goes at the end of that week. Then plan the next 7 days. Feels like a plan without the ability to look too far ahead.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop