Ultra Runners

Sean O'Brien 50 mile race report (Read 31 times)

paul2432

Executive Summary

I signed up for this race as part of my multi-year plan to get into the Western States 100.  As it turned out, I didn’t need the qualifier because I got into WS.  This would have been my third qualifier.  I wound up dropping down to the 50 miler and finishing in 10:53.

Course Description

The course is very convenient for me with the start 11 miles from my house and some parts of the course just a few miles away.  The race starts in Malibu Creek State park which is about 7 miles inland from the coast with mountains in between.  The route goes up and down the mountains, down to the coast and back, with a few flat sections.

Pre-Race

I had trouble sleeping the night before the race.  I finally got up at 2:30 AM, had some breakfast (rice and a banana) and water, got dressed for the race and finished packing up my stuff.  My friend Dave arrived at my house and we departed in my car around 3:30 to pick up a few more folks (my friend Ben at his house, my friend Keather at the Hampton and Chad at the Hampton who I’d not met before but needed a ride.  We made it to the park about 3:55 and had to wait until 4:05 for the gates to open.

I dropped off my drop bags, hit the potties and was freezing (it was about 38F at the start).  We went back to the car and stayed warm until about 15 minutes before the start.

Just before the start the RD notified us that it would be a hot one (over 80F).  Don’t be a hero and drop down if you need to.

Miles 0-13

We started in the dark at 5:00 AM.  I had two hand helds plus my head lamp.  This would be the first time for me using hand helds in a race of this distance.  Dave and I ran mostly together through the first aid station at about 7.5 miles (the course info incorrectly has it at 6.5).  The first couple miles are a gentle up followed by a gentle down then flat to a stream crossing.

Following the stream crossing at 2 miles the course climbs substantially for the next 3 miles.  I walked/jogged most of this (definitely a little faster than last year).  The course then levels out with a few rollers before coming to the first aid station.  At this point the sun is just starting to come up so I left my lamp at the aid station and refilled my bottles.  I had to use the porta-potty so I told Dave to go on.  I caused a minor panic with the aid station volunteers because the porta-potty was about 50 yards away on a trail in the wrong direction.

The next few miles were relatively flat and uneventful.  The sun started to rise which made for some nice views.  I came into the 13 mile aid station and refilled my bottles again.  At this point I was still feeling pretty good.

Miles 13-22

The course continues with some gentle hills through about mile 16 and then rises sharply to Buzzard’s Roost, a private residence of some sort at the top of the hill.  I finally catch up to Dave on this ascent.  From the top we descend for about 5 miles to sea level.  I ran a lot of elevation change to prepare for this race and I’m feeling pretty good on the downhill.  I come into the 22 mile aid station slightly ahead of Dave.

Miles 22-32

One of the hand held bottles I’m using has elastic loops to hold gels.  My plan is to restock a couple gels at each aid station and insert them into the loops.  This turns out to be quite frustrating with sweaty, messy hands after running 22 miles. Ugh. Strike one against the bottles (I had thought of bringing my SPI belt but decided not to at the last minute, that would have worked better).  I eventually get the bottles squared away and filled up.  Strike two is that the gels fell out a couple times during the run, and I had to stop and reinsert them.

I’m also using Pearl Izumi cooling sleeves for the first time.  I ask the aid station volunteer to stuff them with ice and she does.  Boy is it cold.  I also stuff my hat with ice and that is almost painfully cold. (it’s only 9:00 AM at this point, but definitely warming up).

Back up from the ocean is mostly walking due to all the climbing.  Even so I’m passing a few people.  I’m also going harder than I should.  My heart rate is around 140-145 BPM which is well over 80% max.  Not sustainable for 100K but I make no adjustments.

This part of the course goes way up, then way back down, then way back up again.  I’m definitely starting to feel it on the first up and take it relatively easy on the down, but then push it again on the up (I see a couple runners ahead of me and decide to try and catch them – dumb I know).  I still have about 3 miles to the next aid station and I’m running out of water (strike 3 on the bottles).  Fortunately, someone has left jugs of water about 2 miles from the station and these are a lifesaver.  I fill both my bottles and drink heartily as well as douse myself.

I finally make it to the aid station feeling somewhat beat, but continue on.  The station has bacon which is nice.

Miles 32-36

During the next leg my calf starts to cramp for the first time.  Not a full blown cramp, but a twitch that tells me to back off.  I back off the pace and take it a little easier.

For some reason, during this race I’m catching my toe far more often than usual.  No idea why, and I’m able to run out of it each time, but it was close a few times.  This lack of coordination also concerns me.

At this point I start considering dropping down.  I don’t like the idea of it, but I also don’t like the idea of an extra 12 miles of death march and possibly setting back my training due to extended recovery time.  I’m also concerned that as I become more tired the risk of catching a toe and not being able to step through it will increase.  Finally, I am burning through water now, and not sure two bottles will be enough to get through the out and back section on the Bulldog trail.  I decide to continue to evaluate and make a final decision when I get to the 42 miles aid station (the courses diverge at that point).

At the next aid station (36 miles) I take a couple of the salt tablets that they have (Meta-Salt) and they seem to help.  I also refill my bottles.  I don’t drink a bottle and then refill it again before leaving.  I probably should have.

Miles 36-43

This section has several short but steep climbs.  My calf continues to cramp on and off.  I plan to take another salt tablet at the 39 mile aid station, but I forget and head out without taking one.  I do refill my bottles.

I am now seeing a lot of the slower 50K and marathon runners.  I am suffering, but some of these guys seem in far worse shape.

I continue to slog through this section, mixing slow jogging and walking.  I am hot and very tired.  I finally make it to the 42 mile aid station.  The volunteer asks me if I’m doing the 100K.  I tell him that’s what I signed up for, but not sure yet what my plan is.  Another volunteer sponges me down with a cold sponge and that feels good.

I head over to the tent and plop myself down in a chair.  I decide I’ll wait for my friend Dave and talk it over with him.  Meanwhile, I drink a couple bottles of ice water and that feels great and take a couple salt tables plus have some cookies.  20 minutes pass and Dave hasn’t shown up (we left the 22 mile aid station about the same time).  My left leg at the knee starts to cramp from sitting too long so I stand up, fill my bottle one more time and get ready to go.  I ask the volunteer for my headlamp that I dropped off earlier, but she can’t find it.  It turns out they didn’t mark my number on it, but I’m able to retrieve it.  I don’t know what’s happening with Dave so I decide to drop down and notify the aid station captain.  I ask on of the volunteers to let him know I dropped down if they see him (I knew his number).  It turns out he came through 2 minutes after I left.

Miles 43-Finish

The race is mostly downhill from this point with a few uphill spots.  I walk the uphills but manage to jog the flats and downhills.  The long sit time plus the salt tablets seem to have helped. My friend Ben passes me a couple miles after the aid station where I tell him I’ve dropped down (he finished in the top 10 for the 100K).  Eventually I make it to the finish line.   I go to my car to grab a chair I brought plus a cooler with some beer, grab some food and chat with Ben and his wife while I wait for Dave.

Post Race Thoughts

Coming out of this race I see a few things I can work on.  Pacing is one of them.  (The previous sentence I just copied from my RR for this race from last year, I guess I don’t learn my lessons!).  I will also work on my uphill running techniques (intentionally plural).  Chatting with folks after the race, we discussed a forefoot versus a heel foot plant while running uphill.  I usually run on my toes on the steeper hills, and that puts strain on my calf (which explains the calf cramp).  I’m going to practice mixing it up during training to stress different muscles on the climbs.  It did not occur to me during the race to change my foot plant on the hills.

I also need to work on my cooling strategy.  The cooling sleeves worked OK, but the ice in the hat was just too cold.  I’ll try an ice bandana for my next race (LD 50 in April).

I think I will go back to a pack/bladder for the LD 50 as well, although I might try bottles again, but this time with the SPI belt.

One thing that worked well in training was all the elevation I’ve been running.  Last year I could not run the final down hills because of quad cramps.  I didn’t feel any quad issues at all on this run which is a good sign for WS.

If you stuck it out this far, thanks for reading!

berylrunner

Rick

Thanks for sharing the report Paul.  Sorry about the DNF.

I got some good uphill techniques from Chi Running, although I don't run hills much as my hiking pace is nearly as fast.  Another one is to look for trail debris to use as a benefit.  Rocks and roots make good steps to take pressure off of the calves, but I heard those California trails are buff.

On to the next adventure, cheers.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

GC100k

very cool. Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the RR.  CA’s unseasonably warm weather sucks!  I’ve heard that ice bandanas around the neck and icy water on the neck work well since the cooling travels more effectively.  Ice under the hat just causes brain freeze, lol.  Sounds like some good lessons learned for next time.

Did they list you as a 50 finisher or DNF?

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

paul2432

The official results aren't posted yet, but my understanding is I'll be listed as a 50 mile finisher.

RWD

Congratulations on making a really smart decision. I assume you'd have continued had you needed a WSER qualifier still? It's great that you didn't have to. I know this is maybe not the result you wanted but as you said, you're not messing up your training for your next race, plus you've learned some really important lessons that are going to come in VERY handy at WS.

T Hound

Slower but happier

Nice report. Good to keep your A race in sight. 80 degree weather makes me vommit.  Id much rather it be cold. I have stuffed s light nylon compression stocking with ice and wear around the neck.  You can tie it off. In my hands it keeps longer tgan bandanna but definitely not as fashionable and the bandanna can be use ful for other stuff like sun protection/wipe.  interesting u mention the hill climbing technique. Ive noticed the heels down works the posterior chain well.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Nice report. Good to keep your A race in sight. 80 degree weather makes me vommit.  Id much rather it be cold. I have stuffed s light nylon compression stocking with ice and wear around the neck.  You can tie it off. In my hands it keeps longer tgan bandanna but definitely not as fashionable and the bandanna can be use ful for other stuff like sun protection/wipe.  interesting u mention the hill climbing technique. Ive noticed the heels down works the posterior chain well.

Well damn, then what's the point?  

5/11/24 Grizzly Peak Marathon, Berkeley, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR