Ultra Runners

Geoff Roes (Read 701 times)

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

You'll ruin your knees!

I really relate to the comments about not really chasing the runner's high as much as preparing for the lows that you will experience...  Well done film and worth the watch. 

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Imminent Catastrophe

Now I just want to go to Alaska. I never knew porcupines were a running hazard!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ultra-running standouts, like Geoff and Anton Krupicka, do they have coaches or are they entirely self-coached?

MTA: No coach for Roes.

I bet that most elite ultra runners are uncoached, versus elite road and T&F runners, most of whom are coached.

Purdey

Self anointed title

I don't know any ultra runners who have a coach. It doesn't take a coaching qualification to tell someone to go and run a lot. I think the value of a coach is in being able to tell a runner when to run, for example, mile repeats as opposed to 800s, and when to rest etc. None of which is really relevant to the elite ultra runner - who simply runs as much as they can. If they do any speedwork, then it is either long tempos or longer LT reps. I'm sure that there are elite ultra runners who are coached - but I suspect that they are the 50k / 100k road crowd, rather than the long trail racers. (I'm probably wrong, I usually am, but this is just my perception).

DoppleBock

It is common for 100k

Uncommon for 24 hour

I do not know anything about trail people - I think a lot of non-elites get coaching 

I don't know any ultra runners who have a coach. It doesn't take a coaching qualification to tell someone to go and run a lot. I think the value of a coach is in being able to tell a runner when to run, for example, mile repeats as opposed to 800s, and when to rest etc. None of which is really relevant to the elite ultra runner - who simply runs as much as they can. If they do any speedwork, then it is either long tempos or longer LT reps. I'm sure that there are elite ultra runners who are coached - but I suspect that they are the 50k / 100k road crowd, rather than the long trail racers. (I'm probably wrong, I usually am, but this is just my perception).

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

The only one I know of is Devon Crosby- Helms. I believe she has a coach. While she does 100 milers, she kicks more ass in 100ks, 50M... esp. road ultras. Plus she was trying for an OTQ in the marathon earlier this year.

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

The only one I know of is Devon Crosby- Helms. I believe she has a coach. While she does 100 milers, she kicks more ass in 100ks, 50M... esp. road ultras. Plus she was trying for an OTQ in the marathon earlier this year.

She's got a nice post on her blog about life balance

xor

I haven't clickied the linkie yet, but I did figure out recently that Master Roes no longer lives in Alaska. He moved to CO.  And Master Jurek?  Yeah, I guess I haven't seen him around Seattle much lately either... and he too moved to CO.  Living the rocky mountain highlife.

But I have been pointed at Scott's ex-wife for massage therapy.

If I go, I do not believe I will ask about Scott while she's doing her work on me.

DCH discussing balance.  That's interesting on a couple levels.  Very cool post.

DoppleBock

Annette Bednosky used Howard Nippert last year leading up to WC100k

A few other athletes I recognize on his page

http://www.howardnippert.com/athletes.php

Jill Perry always spoke of "My Coach wants me to ..."

I can not be coached - I am too pigheaded and unbalanced

I haven't clickied the linkie yet, but I did figure out recently that Master Roes no longer lives in Alaska. He moved to CO.  And Master Jurek?  Yeah, I guess I haven't seen him around Seattle much lately either... and he too moved to CO.  Living the rocky mountain highlife.

Roes was here (Boulder), but he moved back to Alaska for the summer, I believe.  Jurek is still around though.

DCH discussing balance.  That's interesting on a couple levels.  Very cool post.

How so?

DoppleBock

He has 2 run with me camps in Alaska - One was a week or so ago the later is after WS

I find his blog a little weird sometimes 

Roes was here (Boulder), but he moved back to Alaska for the summer, I believe.  Jurek is still around though.

xor

HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

It is common for 100k

Uncommon for 24 hour

I do not know anything about trail people - I think a lot of non-elites get coaching 

As a non-elite, I can say I have received coaching.  For me, it is about learning types of workouts to do, how to mix them up, and how to peak. 

i think the obvious is as many miles as possible without injury but I do believe you can accomplish a good deal with more than just miles.

• Black Canyon 100k
                                • RRR
                                • Zane Grey 100k
                                • High Lonesome 100
                                • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
                                • The Bear 100
                                • Javelina Jundred (?)