Ultra Runners

Training question (Read 30 times)

dhuffman63

Trails

I'd like to ask a training question.  Due to my autoimmune disease I have to keep my HR low so I'm just walking and not running.  Last week because of the drop I ended up with 34 mpw.  I have a trail marathon (gravel roads) on Apr 21st.  Since I dropped I'm counting the 24 miles as a supported training event.  I typically do 5 miles on T, 5 miles on Th, 8 on either Sat or Sun, then the LR on whichever day I don't have some appointment or other (Sat's mostly for horses, massage, etc).  Longest was 20 miles LR before the 50k on the 24th.  I do mine on the TM at home because of the country road I live on is full of stupid wahoo drivers.  I can get out on Sundays cause they are all in church.

So, that being said I'm considering 6 miles T, 6 miles Th, then 12 Sat (massage makes it a shorter day) then 16 on Sun to give me a 40 mile week.  The next week the same weekly miles but I don't know what to do about a LR...18 miles?  20? or more?  I'm not really using a plan as they haven't worked well for me in the past.

I'm not looking to be anything but a back of the pack...DFL doesn't bother me but I sure don't want another DNF.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Suggestions?  Comments that I'm crazy?

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Question - since you said it was your back in rough conditions that made you drop at mile 24, do you think adding more miles to your current training will help strengthen the back?  Sounds like you have plenty in your legs to cover a marathon with your current training, since your goal is to finish.  I don't know what other limitations you have with the autoimmune disease, but I would think core exercises to strengthen the back may help.  Or if you can walk on hills, or periods of incline on the TM.  You can slow down to keep the HR down or keep the incline low.  I think changing things up would help work the muscles a bit differently to add more strength.  To keep the effort low, shorten your stride on hills - small steps but same cadence.  Just a couple ideas to toss out there.  Good luck!

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

dhuffman63

Trails

I think I definitely need to do core work...I'd been focused on the miles and have neglected that part woefully.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I don't do any core exercises, but I've found changing up the running - hills, trails, hard trails - have added much more strength than when I'm just focused on marathon training.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

RWD

I don't know much about your time constraints, but if you're looking to add mileage, consider adding another day. I think the longest LR I've done for a 50K is 22 miles, but that was in a 50 mile week.

berylrunner

Rick

I do mine on the TM at home because of the country road I live on is full of stupid wahoo drivers.  I can get out on Sundays cause they are all in church.

That cracked me up.

First thing I would suspect for your back problems is the treadmill.  Some can do long runs on them, but it just isn't enough variety.  Anywhere you could go away from the cars?

Next, as you get close to your race is one more long run going to help?  With injury, I would be very conservative.  Adding a day of hills would be very beneficial.

I am a firm believer in the long run getting you to the finish of an Ultra, but not with injury and not close to the event.  You have a lot of races on your schedule.  You could do those as your long runs and just do maintenance miles during the week.  Also, don't do a long run every week.  Every other or even every three weeks is plenty.  If you feel you need the mileage total, add more days and or do some doubles.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

dhuffman63

Trails

In the next town over (I use where I live very loosely as a "town", there's a few houses and a Post Office) that has a 1 mile paved path.  Once the weather improves I can go over there but there's no water and no bathroom at that "park".  I can also drive into where my husband works and do the streets there.  No trails closer than an hour drive away.  I like doing my road cause it's dirt/gravel and there is a hill every 1/4 mile no matter how far or which direction you go.