Ultra Runners

Ticks! (Read 230 times)

Ojo

I am hoping your experiences might help me out.  I had a wonderful training run this morning but didn't realize that my shoes and socks were covered with ticks!  Is there any product or strategy to keep them at bay?  I was thinking that wearing Zenzahs might help but they will still make their way up my legs at some point.  It was really nasty pulling dozens off and I still found more coming out of my shoes when I got home!

Thanks!

Sara

MM #2929

Hi Sara

There are a number of strategies but they have both pros and cons. You can use products containining DEET or permethrin, DEET, which is found in most products, can be applied to the skin and whilst an effective insect repellant is not great for ticks, the issue with this type of repellant is that it needs to be applied to the skin which becomes pretty well useless when we sweat or get wet.

However, permethrin based products can be sprayed directly onto clothing and there it remains as it fixes to the fibre of the cloth, therefore spraying to your Zenzahs, you could try Permanone, Duranon, or Congo Creek Tick Spray.

I ran in the Peak District, a beautiful area in England but on my return found my legs covered in sheep ticks....I share your pain

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Ojo

permethrin based products can be sprayed directly onto clothing and there it remains as it fixes to the fibre of the cloth, therefore spraying to your Zenzahs, you could try Permanone, Duranon, or Congo Creek Tick Spray.

Thank you Jerry!  I sprayed my shoes, socks, and Zenzahs with permethrin and had absolutely no problems with the ticks today!  Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tics.

(yeah, I know, but I'm already going straight to Hell)