Ultra Runners

26th annual Glacial 50k / 50 Mile October 14th (Read 547 times)

DoppleBock

http://www.badgerlandstriders.org/home/Races/GlacialTrail50M50K.htm

A race I love on many levels ~ Really nice trail, a bit more technical and hilly than Ice Age 50.  It is very laid back with a 200 person limit for the combined 50k and 50 Mile.  6am 50 Mile start necessitates a head lamp for the 1st leg.  It starts and finishes at the Greenbush firestation, so you have to bring a lawn chair to hand out for chilli and sandwhiches post race.  A few people usually bring beer to share.

This is one of my 2 fall goal race - I would like to improve on my 1st ultra ever run here back in 2006 when I ran a 7:50:37 for the 50 mile. 

If all goes well and we have a reasonable day - I would really like to break 7:30 - But that is a stretch

Top Performances

<colgroup> <col width="20" align="middle" /> <col align="left" /> <col width="25" align="middle" /></colgroup>
    '05 Jarrow Wahman (44) 7:11:00
    '07 Wynn Davis (26) 7:18:15
    '04 Stuart Kolb (42) 7:23:50
    '02 Andy Holak (34) 7:35:43
    '10 Jon Noll (25) 7:37:19
    '05 Michael Becker (33) 7:38:00
    '09 Kevin Grabowski (40) 7:44:44
    '03 Parker Rios (36) 7:48:25
    '06 David Ruttum (27) 7:48:54
    '06 Michael Henze (37) 7:50:37

Top Performances

38 Participants

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Anyone else ???  Flatfooter?

jjameson

I MIGHT do 50k but will be a last minute decision

Well if you are going to go for <7:30, you might as well go for <7:27 Big grin  Is the course more technical because of rocks (like that section of DWD) or is it other terrain features?

I will probably not be in this year but doing the 50M is on my list.  Although you probably can't tell from my log, all my focus post July is on <2:50 at Milwaukee.  At this rate though, it is a long shot as  my speedwork has been non existent and mileage is crappy too.  I've been dealing with hip flexor issues that just won't go away and more hill training is just going to make it worse.  If by some miracle everything starts working maybe, but it would also be last minute...

DoppleBock

The elevation change is likely 60-80% more at Glacial.  The technical - ness is more, but not that much more.  Nothing like the rock garden section at DWD.  Ice Age really done not have that many rocks and roots - Plenty to trip you up, but not many sections that actually make you slow down (Just makes you watch your step)  Even if Glacial has 2x the rocks and roots - None of it slows you down much - Just more sections to watch your every step.

Many people think Glaical is @ 45 minutes slower than Ice Age - I think 30-45 is a fair range.

The other difficulty of Glacial is it is 2nd weekend in October.  If all the leaves are down, the Rocks and Roots come into play a lot more.

I am also going back and forth on registering for the 50k.  I had Northcountry 50 mi as my fall ultra but for some reason couldn't bring myself to train the "long mileage" in the heat we have had this summer.  So I changed my focus to setting a new PR at the Fox Valley marathon.  But now I am itching for a longer race

DoppleBock

You should - They do cap the race at 200 total between 50k and 50M ... so keep an eye on the totals - Right now it is

30 for 50 mile

40 for 50k

So lots of spots left. 

I ran Glacial 50 Mile 2 weeks after a PR at Fox Cities Marathon ... I think you will have 3 weeks - Plenty of time.

I am also going back and forth on registering for the 50k.  I had Northcountry 50 mi as my fall ultra but for some reason couldn't bring myself to train the "long mileage" in the heat we have had this summer.  So I changed my focus to setting a new PR at the Fox Valley marathon.  But now I am itching for a longer race

Now I just need to find someone to come up there with me.  Maybe I will try to twist PaulyGram's arm and get him to run something.  That would give us 5 wks to recover for Monkey.  Where do people usually to stay?  I was thinking either the AmericInn or the Baymont in Plymouth

You should - They do cap the race at 200 total between 50k and 50M ... so keep an eye on the totals - Right now it is

30 for 50 mile

40 for 50k

So lots of spots left. 

I ran Glacial 50 Mile 2 weeks after a PR at Fox Cities Marathon ... I think you will have 3 weeks - Plenty of time.

DoppleBock

I am not sure on the Hotel thing - I live 1 hour north - So I drive down the morning of. 

Now I just need to find someone to come up there with me.  Maybe I will try to twist PaulyGram's arm and get him to run something.  That would give us 5 wks to recover for Monkey.  Where do people usually to stay?  I was thinking either the AmericInn or the Baymont in Plymouth

Ok, itch scratched, I feel better now - I am sending in my registration today the old fashioned way Smile

DoppleBock

Ohhhh Yaaaah

Make sure to bring a lawn chair to sit around and socialize a while post race.

Last year they had a garden hose hooked up outside so you could get hosed down after the race - cleaned up a bit before sitting around.

jjameson

Bump

Registrations now at 126.  They take 200.  Got to keep an eye on it .....

Also fee goes up $10 on 9/1/12

Oh roo roooo!

I'll be volunteering at packet pickup on the AM of the race and also at the first aid station, as always--wishing great weather and a wonderful run for all of you!

DoppleBock

You will be working aide #1 with my friend Andy Featherstone

I will see you there!

Currently there is

49 in the 50 MIle

77 in the 50K

126 / 200 spots filled - Next registration fee increase is September 1st

I'll be volunteering at packet pickup on the AM of the race and also at the first aid station, as always--wishing great weather and a wonderful run for all of you!

jjameson

Total of 170 now signed up.  Website says they cap it at 200.

I'm in for the 50K.  I will used it as a "training run" between Superior 50M (done) and my next goal race of JFK 50.  That will give me 3 weeks to recover before JFK 50.