Ultra Runners

26th annual Glacial 50k / 50 Mile October 14th (Read 547 times)

DoppleBock

I had my confidence taken down a couple of notches over the weekend.  Saturday - For the 1st time I ran up and down Rib Mountain in Wausau - Its a reasonable hill to grind.  I have been doing hill workouts once or twice a week for awhile and thought I was in good hill shape.  If you look up from the challet the run that goes straight up from there ~ Sundance.  Bottom 60% is runable, top 40% is good for power hiking.  I think @ 650 vertical feet in total.

I started at the top and ran down every time - Although the only way I could "Run" down the top was with quick feet (Think 2x normal stride rate) with really little steps - Still hard to keep you feet from sliding out.  The bottom I just tried to be smooth and easy.

I wanted 20 repeats ~ Stick a fork in me at 18 in a little over 5 hours.  I had said I would do this before Leadville in 2011 and I never did.  Had I done this workout 4-5 times I would have been much wiser for Leadville.  Saturday I kept my downhill running reasonable the whole time (Actually easy - Never even moderate), but my quads are fried.  The top part  is steep enough that there is no way to ascend at a reasonable pace without working very hard. 

I think back to Leadville now and I made 3 major mistakes - All related to respecting the course.  1st section is really easy - I ran way to fast for 100 miler at altitude.  Coming down the powerlines and 1st time down Hope Pass - I went way too fast.

Today - 2 days later I can still hardly walk - Quads are still crispy. 

What does this have to do with Glacial 50?  I run the glacial 50 course all the time ~ I thought pounding the hills out there made me "Hill Strong" - The hills out there are not long or steep enough to beat you up comparable to a mountain race.  Do not get me wrong the hills are constant and it is a hard race ... just a different type of hard.

The next time I sign up for a mountain 100 miler ~ I think we will be visiting the in-laws (Wausau) a lot prior to race.   But reality the ski hill is still to short ~ mentally it was really easy to push to the top, because the top came quickly. 

172 on the list today

107 in the 50k

65 in the 50 mile

Next entry fee increase is 9/22

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

jjameson

I'm coming down there with some peeps, one who is V. Asmus.  She held the 50K  female course record (set in 2005 or 2006?) until it was broken by Cassie Scanlon who won the race outright last year.  Asmus is a great runner.  Not sure she has been putting in the training to give a shot at setting the record.  I might help pace her if I can keep up.

jjameson

I had my confidence taken down a couple of notches over the weekend.  Saturday - For the 1st time I ran up and down Rib Mountain in Wausau - Its a reasonable hill to grind.  I have been doing hill workouts once or twice a week for awhile and thought I was in good hill shape.  If you look up from the challet the run that goes straight up from there ~ Sundance.  Bottom 60% is runable, top 40% is good for power hiking.  I think @ 650 vertical feet in total.

I started at the top and ran down every time - Although the only way I could "Run" down the top was with quick feet (Think 2x normal stride rate) with really little steps - Still hard to keep you feet from sliding out.  The bottom I just tried to be smooth and easy.

I wanted 20 repeats ~ Stick a fork in me at 18 in a little over 5 hours.  I had said I would do this before Leadville in 2011 and I never did.  Had I done this workout 4-5 times I would have been much wiser for Leadville.  Saturday I kept my downhill running reasonable the whole time (Actually easy - Never even moderate), but my quads are fried.  The top part  is steep enough that there is no way to ascend at a reasonable pace without working very hard. 

I think back to Leadville now and I made 3 major mistakes - All related to respecting the course.  1st section is really easy - I ran way to fast for 100 miler at altitude.  Coming down the powerlines and 1st time down Hope Pass - I went way too fast.

Today - 2 days later I can still hardly walk - Quads are still crispy. 

What does this have to do with Glacial 50?  I run the glacial 50 course all the time ~ I thought pounding the hills out there made me "Hill Strong" - The hills out there are not long or steep enough to beat you up comparable to a mountain race.  Do not get me wrong the hills are constant and it is a hard race ... just a different type of hard.

The next time I sign up for a mountain 100 miler ~ I think we will be visiting the in-laws (Wausau) a lot prior to race.   But reality the ski hill is still to short ~ mentally it was really easy to push to the top, because the top came quickly. 

172 on the list today

107 in the 50k

65 in the 50 mile

Next entry fee increase is 9/22

That's a hell of a workout.  I don't think you should let such a workout trouble you.

DoppleBock

12 reps would have been a good workout - This was damaging to my training ... physically.

The good thing is I learned a few things about hill climbing and decending at this steepness - THe top of the hill is only .3 of a mile and is 400-450 feet of vertical - Although I got more tired each rep and was pretty burnt out by the end, I think I found ways to get much more efficient and pick lines with the best footing etc.

That's a hell of a workout.  I don't think you should let such a workout trouble you.

DoppleBock

I hope we get weather that cooperates - It would be fun to see Cassies record broken.  I am not sure if the 4:15:34 (8:15 pace) 50k or the 7:45:12 (9:18 pace) 50 mile is Cassie's better course record?

I am running from the start to Butler Lake tomorrow, Mauthe Lake to Butler lake next week and ran New Fane to @ 3 miles past Mauther Lake last week.  I would still like to try and break 8 hours in the 50 miler. 

I'm coming down there with some peeps, one who is V. Asmus.  She held the 50K  female course record (set in 2005 or 2006?) until it was broken by Cassie Scanlon who won the race outright last year.  Asmus is a great runner.  Not sure she has been putting in the training to give a shot at setting the record.  I might help pace her if I can keep up.

DoppleBock

I just had a realization - I am probably over-confident that I can heal my achillies tendon by Glacial 50M.  It is less than 4 weeks away and the achillies is still screaming.

If I do go for it at Glacial I would be risking it naging on into Monkey ...

Hopefully it clears up quickly

jjameson

I just had a realization - I am probably over-confident that I can heal my achillies tendon by Glacial 50M.  It is less than 4 weeks away and the achillies is still screaming.

If I do go for it at Glacial I would be risking it naging on into Monkey ...

Hopefully it clears up quickly

If it is still troubling you come race time, do the 50K with us at a comfortable pace and have a few beers with us.

DoppleBock

I ran Greenbush to Butler lake last night - I forgot how @3 miles of that 1st section of IA trail is really rocky - That was tough to do in the dark

DoppleBock

10 spots left in the combined 50k/50M - I predict a sell-out by the end of the day 9/22 or before.

DoppleBock

If I can run I will run the 50 Mile -  Beer sounds good, but I have my heart set on the whole 50 miles.

If it is still troubling you come race time, do the 50K with us at a comfortable pace and have a few beers with us.

DoppleBock

Race is closed

I am running Mauthe Lake to Parnell Tower tomorrow afternoon.  I am looking forward to the time on the trail.

jjameson

I'm not planning on tapering much for this because I am really focusing on JFK50 in November.  I'm starting to throw in some faster runs because JFK50 has 25 miles on a canal towpath.

Still I'll try to put a solid effort in at Glacial, depending on how I feel.

DoppleBock

Under 5 hours is a solid effort

@ 4:30 is a good race

@ 4:15 a chance to win

If you do not taper - I would just go in with the idea of a sub 5 and see how the day goes. 

I'm not planning on tapering much for this because I am really focusing on JFK50 in November.  I'm starting to throw in some faster runs because JFK50 has 25 miles on a canal towpath.

Still I'll try to put a solid effort in at Glacial, depending on how I feel.

jjameson

I'm still recovering some from Superior 50.  I really didn't "bury" myself in the race (compared to a road marathon I did in the spring when I completely wasted myself and it took like 4 weeks to recover -- but that is another story).  My recovery has been going well and was only hampered by my knee which bothered me for about a week after the race.  I'm now back to full training, concentrating a little more on speed the next 4 weeks.

Don't know for sure what I'm going to do at Glacial.  I'll probably take it pretty easy to the turn around so I can see what the terrain is like, then I can gauge what I need to do on the return.  I don't mind pushing myself some but I don't want to completely drain my legs and take more than 5-7 days to recover after the race.

Certainly would hope to be 4:30 - 4:45 but then again I don't know the course except DB's comments of it being more technical than Ice Age.

DoppleBock

4:30 is possible for you - but I think it would be a higher effort than you want to do ~ 4:45 is right in the post you did