Ultra Runners

Camille Herron DESTROYS the 100-mile World Record (Read 36 times)

bhearn

This is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing. Camille Herron just ran 12:42:39 at the Tunnel Hill 100... a trail race! -- but yes, USATF certified -- to beat Gina Slaby's WR of 13:45:49 by OVER AN HOUR.

Slaby in turn, last year, beat Ann Trason's 13:47:41, which had stood since 1991. I was at that race, and was thrilled to see history made.

But this... I can't even comprehend what this means. Also this was Herron's first 100M finish.

But this... I can't even comprehend what this means. Also this was Herron's first 100M finish.

Yep, that's something so far out of my experience that I can't even begin to process it. Holy shit.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

AT-runner

Tim

This is so impressive. I've read some great articles about this.

She won Comrades this year, but jumped into the 100 miler after several 100K's.

Here are her impressive splits.

“Paralysis-to-50k” training plan is underway! 

bhearn

I was tracking her all day with a spreadsheet that predicted her finish time. Here's what that pacing looked like.

Also, she actually first called this -- saying she wanted to break the record by over an hour -- on my Facebook page, back in September. We all thought she was crazy.

bhearn

She won Comrades this year, but jumped into the 100 miler after several 100K's.

Also after DNFing her first two 100s.

AT-runner

Tim

Nice Babe Ruth moment, calling her time.

Does she have any desire to test herself out in a 24 hour event?

bhearn

bhearn

Nice Babe Ruth moment, calling her time.

Does she have any desire to test herself out in a 24 hour event?

Eventually, I think. She does want the 12-hour WR. It sounds like her top goals are to beat Ann Trason's 100K AR, and to win both Comrades and Western States in the same year.

She's a lot closer now to being able to think about 24-hour than she was before. But it's still a very, very different world from 100.

AT-runner

Tim

Eventually, I think. She does want the 12-hour WR. It sounds like her top goals are to beat Ann Trason's 100K AR, and to win both Comrades and Western States in the same year.

She's a lot closer now to being able to think about 24-hour than she was before. But it's still a very, very different world from 100.

Haha, especially  if you run 100's in 12+ hours.

T Hound

Slower but happier

I was there and I saw this woman blasting by so far out from everyone else (I didn’t know that was her), I thought she’s the 50 mile F1.  Then I came through the start/finish and heard Camille Herron  was here and on pace to beat the world record! How exciting.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block