Ultra Runners

SD 100 course (Read 130 times)

TrailSurfer

Husband and father of 4

I've been meaning to get back to Carl A about the San Diego 100 course. I ran it last month as the Pacific Crest Trail 50 mile race. A helecopter crashed days before the event on the PCT and the event got moved to the SD 100 course.

The course has a bit of everything, but it is unfortunate that a section of it was effected by some fires a few years ago. That portion is a little surreal with young green vegitation and charred trees mixed together. The course includes two laps of a 50 mile route. The route has 2 loops. I liked the first 20 mile loop best and it includes part of the Pacific Crest Trail. The other half of the 50 miles is scenic with wild flowers and a lake, but it has 3 miles hill that really saps you.

The SD 100 was last weekend and I paced some friends during the second 50 mile portion of it. The day was mild and cloudy. The night was cold, windy and at times had a heavy mist. I drew the lot to run on the first 20 mile loop with one friend and it was great. A little windy, but great sunset lighting up some clouds. I took pictures and ran the last 7 mile stage with another friend. The sunrise and morning portion was great too. The worst of the 30 mile loop with the #*%!! hill in it was between 11pm and 3 am for most folks and it was wet, cold and windy for this race.

All in all, it's a scenic, fun course. No Redwoods or well-known land marks, but enjoyable. I'm a glass is half-full kinda guy though.

Find the fun.