Ultra Runners

Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon (Read 309 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

I know there have been lots of book threads around the RA forums, but can't really remember if this one came up before. Here's a review. This is one of the first books I read on ultramarathoning... Tim T is an incredible guy, I believe I have crossed paths with a few of the contributors, one of whom is a good friend (Suzi Cope). Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

I know there have been lots of book threads around the RA forums, but can't really remember if this one came up before. Here's a review. This is one of the first books I read on ultramarathoning... Tim T is an incredible guy, I believe I have crossed paths with a few of the contributors, one of whom is a good friend (Suzi Cope). Lynn B
      Agreed. An excellent book. Have you also read Dean Karnaze's book "ultramarathon man" - I found it inspirational.

Carl A

Running through the Wall was excellent, and that was a good review. I also read Karnazes's book, and thought it was good in some ways--although I had to laugh at parts like where he says his forearms are developed enough to carry a pizza box. There's some good info in it, though--for instance, chocolate-covered espresso beans can be like little packets of muscle and mood power. In the spirit of Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon, how's everyone's running going so far this year? Me, I'm focusing on a single race, the Delaware 100 on 9/20-21, and am gradually building up my mpw to get it done. Although my family responsibilities always take precedence, I'm finding better ways to fit in training, like running on lunchbreaks and early Sunday mornings. I'm also getting slightly smarter (I hope): when my legs are on the verge of getting messed up, I swim.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Purdey

Self anointed title

Well, I'm just getting back into it following an 18mth break. Aiming for a trail marathon in Oct 08, then perhaps the Thames Meander (100km) next year leading up to a 24hr track ultra in Oct 09.

Ultrachick

I have a trail marathon coming up June 1. I was going to do a 12m trail race last weekend but wasn't into it since having just run Boston. I'm building for my first 100m in Sept 20/21 as well in NY-the first ever Iroquois Trail 100 in the Finger Lakes region. I'm planning on the Finger Lakes 50m July 5 as another stepping stone towards the 100 and the Jay Ultimate XC Challenge at the end of July too. I'm ready to quit work so I can train. Smile Kelly
            If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.
              I just started Running Through the Wall am finding it very inspirational and hard to put down. I ran my first 50k on May 25, hit that wall, and pushed through it with the help of some very wonderful people and my own personal trail angel, Russ. Next big event: SOB 50k in Ashland, OR.

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

My sweet new crank!

i have been recovering from Ice age 50m. the more i recover, the more i enjoyed it...can't wait till i pick a next one. I will have to pick up that book. I have just begun running again been swimming and cycling. gearing up to make a BQ effort at chicago. I will do quite a bit of trail training to keep all thos little helper muscles alive... One day my wife will get teh ultra bug...then we can write one called "My turn to Run (dammit), a story of a happy marriage"
                Ryan O'D Gurnee, IL by way of Madison, WI via Wichita, KS via Denver, CO
                Purdey

Self anointed title

WTG Ryan! I agree - having support from your other half is VERY important. I'm trying to "ease" mine into it! Tom