Ultra Runners

Our walking wounded... (Read 417 times)

Into the wild

Come on...who's out there and injured..I think Lynn and Purdey are both struggling atm...any others? I know it can be miserable being side-lined and you feel less likely to post or get involved but hang around, keep the thing alive; you may risk losing it otherwise. Keep the faith Smile

Shut up and run

You'll ruin your knees!

Working my way back slowly...did almost 15 on Saturday, mostly pain free. I fired all my doctors and am on the "jlynnbob return to healthy running program". It mostly consists of "run". I'll be leaving in a few weeks to go pace a buddy at Hardrock, want to make sure I can do the miles to keep him in the race! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Purdey

Self anointed title

Yep. Shin splints. Not too bad - I think I caught them early enough to repair the damage fairly quickly, and I tend to heal quite fast. Had an easy 4 yesterday and a slightly faster one this morning (on the treadmill for softer surface). They don't seem to hurt whilst I'm running - strange. I'm v tempted to Lynn's approach... run. lol. Have only had a week off, but already feel that I can cope with a week of easy running. (fingers crossed) Tom

Shin splints. Tom
          Do you do shin strengthening exercises? Walk around on your heels with your butt out like a duck for five minutes? Lean against the wall, legs about shin length way, keeping heels on the ground and lift toes as far as you can toward your shins? 15 slow reps, working your way up to sets of 2 or 3? Works wonders!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Purdey

Self anointed title

Leslie - many thanks. I do (some) shin strengthening exercises - but I'll definitely give yours a go. Anything is worth a shot! Tom

who knows...

Just to add to the thread, I've been struggling with ITB and lower back pains for a few months. It seems to be getting better but slowly--that probably has to do with me not slowing down very much. At this point, the therapy of running outweighs the pain. That is true until someone so astutely points out, "Hey, you're limping." If only they knew that I know.
              "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin

Into the wild

Just to add to the thread, I've been struggling with ITB and lower back pains for a few months. It seems to be getting better but slowly--that probably has to do with me not slowing down very much. At this point, the therapy of running outweighs the pain. That is true until someone so astutely points out, "Hey, you're limping." If only they knew that I know.
                I guess you already tried it but I had success with a foam roller for ITB... BTW, just looked at your log entry for 25-May-08 6:00 AM - nice job Wink

Shut up and run

Purdey

Self anointed title

BTW, just looked at your log entry for 25-May-08 6:00 AM - nice job Wink
                  Awesome! What an amazing time!!

Wow, nice run! Re the IT band. My PT gave me a good stretch that doesn't pull to hard on the low back: Lay on back, one leg out straight. On opposite leg (let's say right), hook a belt, rope, etc. over end of foot, lift leg straight up in the air, slightly turn foot/leg inwards, lower to opposite side of the body (keeping stomach muscles tight), once lowered, gently pull on the belt, stretching the entire leg. Hold stretch for 15 secs, release and do over again, switch leg.s Work up to two or three 20 sec holds. If you're doing it correctly, you shouldn't feel any pulling in your lower back. This stretch has helped me a lot. Also, if your hamstrings are tight, that will cause low back problems. Lay on the floor with foot up on wall. You want to be as close to the wall as possible without feeling excessive stretching. You should be able to feel relaxed in the stretch. Hold for 5 minutes, switch legs. This is easiest done in a door way. Throw a CD in the player and hold the stretch through one of your favorite songs. I have LOTS of low back and knee strengthening exercises from physical therapy if anybody's interested. Purdey - When doing the "duck walk," make sure your knees are slightly bent. Later!

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

who knows...

I guess you already tried it but I had success with a foam roller for ITB...
                      I haven't been regular with it, though I have heard it is a good way to get things loosened up.
                      BTW, just looked at your log entry for 25-May-08 6:00 AM - nice job Wink
                      Thanks. And thanks to Purdey and fatozzig. It was definitely a learning experience. Fatozzig: I am stretching as we speak.
                      "There is no I in εγω." --Unknown author, source of possible, but in no way certain, Greek origin
                        I hate not being able to run but I see from some of the posts it's ok (albeit a PITA) to keep from running when injured. I'm dealing with possible PF and definitely posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (any one else hear of this?) It truly sucks but I'm there in spirit for all my racing friends Big grin

Into the wild

I've had a couple of forced breaks and worried that I'd not be able or motivated or whatever to get back in...I had no trouble at all; the routines soon kicked in and it was like I'd never missed a beat. Keep the faith!

Shut up and run

t_runner

posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (any one else hear of this?)
                            I had posterior tibial tendonitis? Not sure how similar this is. My symptom was pain in the middle inside of my arch. It got better with a bit of rest (2.5 weeks I think), comfortable work shoes with arch support, PT exercises to (1) stretch calves, (2) strengthen core especially hips, (3) stretch the foot. 1.5 years later, I still have to keep up with the exercises else it comes back. I almost completely gave up heels also... Cute dog by the way! My sister has an 8 month old Bernese. Sweetest little (big!) thing.
                              I hate not being able to run but I see from some of the posts it's ok (albeit a PITA) to keep from running when injured. I'm dealing with possible PF and definitely posterior tibial tendon dysfunction (any one else hear of this?) It truly sucks but I'm there in spirit for all my racing friends Big grin
                              It does suck to not be able to run when you want, but consider it a really nice break for the ole bod, keep up with your cross training (if you can), do your stretching - or whatever you're suppose to be doing for your injury - and soon you'll back in the game. Post often, even if you're not doing anything, as it will help keep you motivated.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Thanks Wink yes, the tibal tendinitis is exactly what it is Sad......can't go barefoot anymore, need little arch supports (the old custom orthotics I had were just too much), trying to keep up with exercises, using ice and sometimes ibuprophen...(hate getting older as much as being injured...lol). On week 2 of no running.... yep, that's Frank, the bernese....he's going to be 6 in Oct....the sweetest breed ever (but not the running type...haha)