Ultra Runners

50K game plan (Read 258 times)

...---...

Hi group - looking for a little guidance in gearing up for my first 50K trail event on Sept 6, 2009. I'm running a marathon on July 26, so that gives me 6 weeks to connect the two.

I'm trying to get a handle on the type of post marathon mileage that one might use as a guideline. My only goal would be to finish the event. Hey, I'm not even sure if I'll be able to put the 2 events together, but I'm gonna try.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Trey

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Okay - here's what I've planned now, in the 6 weeks following marathon to 50K:

* = incorporate some sort of speed work (i.e. strides, or tempo portion of run).

What d'ya think?

Mon 
      Tues
       Wed 
      Thurs 
       Frid 
      Sat   
      Sun  
           5 mi
         6 mi
       5 mi
       8 mi
         6 mi
       8 mi
         *8 mi
       5 mi
       11 mi
         *8 mi
       5 mi
       15 mi
       4 mi
       *5 mi
       11 mi
        6 mi *8 mi 10 mi 3 mi 20 mi
        5 mi 7 mi 6 mi 5 mi 10 mi
         4 mi
       3 mi
       2 mi
           RACE

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Trey - Unfortunately, I can't give you a whole lot of advise on this as my coach sets up my running schedule.  However, for the 50k I did this past weekend, my longest training run of 24 miles was completed about 2 weeks before the race, with my shortest long training run of 10 miles completed the weekend before and much more tapering last week.   Because of all the climbing anticipated, I did a lot more hill work than speed work this round, incorporated with a lot of strength training.

Good luck!!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Personally, I think you are being a little too conservative, knock out your Saturday runs and add them to the Sunday runs.

Like Leslie, as I approached my 30 mile trail run last week I was running 20-22 mile Long runs just to get some time on the feet.

Think of a 50km race as just an extension of your marathon training, just up the mileage (mainly in the long run) by about 10%, the importance of the long run is to get some good, solid miles at lower heart rate.....

and as a last comment, I would keep that speedwork session a couple of days away from your long run, it is just not worth wrecking your legs.

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

agree w/ Jerry, 50K training is very similar to a marathon and make your long run a bit longer.  In fact you can follow a basic marathon plan.

I would reduce the number of mid-week runs(let your body recover) and do longer back-to-back long-type runs on Sat/Sun.  Example, 20 Sat, 10 Sun or 15 Sat 15 Sun.  The point is to run Sat on fresh legs and Sun on tired legs, then take Mon-Tues to recover.  I have always believed a middle of the pack runner(i.e. me) needs to learn how to keep going when you are tired.

Mon   Tues   Wed                  Thur                               Fri          Sat                         Sun

rest    rest     'normal' run     speed/tempo               rest        long run                long run, shorter than Sat

This assumes you want to finish the run and/or finish feeling good, if you are really fast I am no idea what you need to do. 

...---...

Leslie - congrats on your 50K! Nice work. I know you're beaming with pride. I would be for sure.

This is good stuff all. I really appreciate the input. Dennis - No, I'm not fast. 

So, if I were to extend my marathon training, cut out the speed work (which I don't mind) and replace mid week runs with terrain specific running, do back-to-backs on the weekends, the new plan would look like the below. 

Starting with 1st week after marathon:

Mon   Tues   Wed   Thurs   Friday   Saturday   Sunday 
               rest  rest  3-5 mi   3-5 mi   rest   13 mi  8 mi
               rest  rest  6-8 mi   6-8 mi  rest   20 mi  10 mi
               rest  rest  6-8 mi  6-8 mi  rest  15 mi  15 mi
               rest  rest  5-7 mi  5-7 mi  rest  22 mi  14 mi
               rest  rest  4-6 mi  4-6 mi   rest  15 mi   6 mi
               rest rest   4 mi   3mi  rest  rest  RACE

better?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Looking good now you just need to stay healthy and injury free.  Enjoy the run!
                  Week 4 looks a toughy, get going

Jerry
                  A runners blog-updated daily

Do you ever do any x-training and/or strength training?  Both would be of great benefit, especially the strength training.  My new schedule for a trail marathon September 26 is as follows:

Mon - Rest

Tues - 5 mile fartlek run

Wed - 3+ mile run + strength training

Thurs - 6 mile run w/strides (includes hills)

Fri - 30+ min stationary biking + strength training

Sat - Long trail run (w/hill work)

Sun - 10 mile trail run

It changes a little bit as the weeks go on with my Sat long runs increasing by 2 miles every week, topping out at 22 miles.  For the 50k I just did, we topped out at 24 miles.

If the 50k you're planning to run is hilly, hill work, as well as strength training, would be a big benefit.  Both have made a huge difference in my running.  The x-training allows your legs to have a break, while still working on the cardio.

Just more of my 2 cents worth!

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

...---...

Thanks Dennis - fingers crossed, NO INJURIES. 

Jerry - yeah, I took a deep breath when filling in Week 4. giddy up. 

Leslie - I appreciate your 2 cents and yes, I have been doing some XT (mostly easy outings (~1 hr once a week) on the mountain bike). Prior to these last 4 weeks, was doing a little gym work. I let my gym membership lapse. Glad you brought the subject up. I may try some cuircuit type stuff (there's a circuit  course in a nearby park). FOr strength training, I assume you're doing that after the run? And are you working total body?

Thanks,

Trey

MTA: in case you're interested, here is the link to the race. I know the course, kind of, from mnt biking years ago but am sure it's changed a bit. I plan to get down there and run the outer and inner loops at least once through, before race day.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Good luck on your first 50K!  My first was another one in the SC Ultra Series, the Chattooga River.  Terri, the race director, did a wonderful job.  It was better organized that most expensive races I've done.  The aid stations were very well stocked, the food at the end was positively wonderful (they had SC Barbeque, watermelon, and soup), and no-cutoff time made it very relaxed for a first try.  I think you made a good choice!

...---...

Good luck on your first 50K!  My first was another one in the SC Ultra Series, the Chattooga River.  Terri, the race director, did a wonderful job.  It was better organized that most expensive races I've done.  The aid stations were very well stocked, the food at the end was positively wonderful (they had SC Barbeque, watermelon, and soup), and no-cutoff time made it very relaxed for a first try.  I think you made a good choice!

Jen - man, this is really good to hear. Thanks!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12