Womens Running

Remembrance Tuesdays (DAILIES) (Read 20 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

This day is always so eerie to me...crazy that it has been 17 years!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

10.3 for me. Body Pump after work...

Back to hot and humid. Very foggy out there this morning..glad I had my flashlight! I should have curled my hair today..I straightened it and now it looks like a ball of fluff. I have accepted that Fall will never come.  Oh, my run..it was good! Haha. I got speedy at the end because I had to use the bathroom . I am excited for taper next week when everyday is not a double digit run!

Florence update...track seems to have shifted SOUTH. Looks like it will stall out in NC which is good news for us. We will still be getting bands of rain and wind, but not as bad as they first predicted. Its not looking too good for our vacation. SC is supposedly getting minimal impact..its getting there that will be a problem!

Still planning on LR Thursday even though the forecast has changed. I don't want to wait and then they change the forecast again,

Susan – Aw, DH helped you get moving yesterday Smile I also lay out my clothes..you are right, it helps! I don’t think we will need to evacuate..but yes, Richmond is prone to flooding. More downtown than where I am. We have flood walls. Richmond got a hurricane in the 80’s that flooded the city so much you couldn’t even see buildings – then they installed the flood walls. They have never been used since that flood! They might be testing them out this weekend. Sucks for the people in the city since they would be STUCK in there. Thanks for those tips!!!

Hi Lori!! Of course you can post here silly. Sorry to hear about the gallbladder surgery – but happy you are already back out on the road!

Tessa – I have been thinking about Marjorie – I will have to send her something on the FB group. I will let you know. Nice runs over the weekend! Glad the kittens don’t have ringworm.

Karen – Nice speedy miles yesterday! You had some motivation to keep them speedy Smile OMG that picture is too cute!!!!!

Run4kupcakes – Nice miles yesterday! I think you may be okay for the race this weekend – especially after the updated forecast! Might be rainy, but that’s okay.

Lisa – I think you have free reign to eat whatever the hell you want Smile 70.5 miles?! GEEZUS! You’re right though – it looks beautiful! June though in PA? Won’t that be warm!? I was going to ask about your knee, glad it did okay.

Happy Tuesday!

Half Crazy K 2.0

Lizzie, the race runs along the Susquehanna River and Chesapeake Bay. We've gotten lots of rain and more coming not part of Florence, there's just no where for it to go. I don't see how the course or roads leading to it don't flood.

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

BTW Marjorie is okay! She said that they are not getting the brunt of it. Just rain!

Anonymous Guest

17 years has gone by fast. I still remember that morning. We had only been in our Maryland house a few months and I hadn't started working yet after moving from CA. DH could see the smoke from the Pentagon from his building.

These dogs, y'all. I assumed Riley would like a buddy to play with, but he's so lazy I wasn't sure. Well that lazy dog is gone. Riley wants to play ALL. THE. TIME. The puppy gets tired and Riley brings me the toys. We've been up since about 5 and are just now getting to our first nap. The puppy has figured out the magic of the kitchen and spends a lot of time hanging out in there waiting for food. Chubby little guy - I think he got more than his fair share when he was with the other 8 puppies.

Hill workout for my group this evening. If the rain holds out it should be the coolest weather we've seen. Big if though, rain is supposed to continue all day. Potential tropical storm forming and coming to TX for the weekend, but for now just a few days of rain. I'll try to run in the neighborhood later this morning during the next nap break.

HCK, hope the race isn't canceled, but it sounds like there's a pretty high chance it will be. Have you started looking at potential replacement races?

Liz, you have not had very good luck with the weather when it comes to vacation this year!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Seloc

I agree - how has it been SEVENTEEN years already?!  I had been at work since 4am CDT doing a maintenance.  Was on the phone with the guy I was dating at the time when the 2nd plane hit.  Very strange.  Also the anniversary of my swearing in as a Peace Corps volunteer 6 years prior.

7mi crappy ass run.  Everything hurt and legs felt heavy.  No idea why.  Guess it's better than nothing.  Warm-ish and humid-ish this week then major cool front next week.  Bodes well for TCM!  Yep, early for sure but if the cooler air is ushering in now that's a good sign for Karen and Liz!

Karen - oh those puppies of yours.  Heart.  Melt.  So cool how Riley just took to Huck right away!  Is that a thing with dogs?  With cats the older one may not have been so welcoming.  Keep those pictures and videos coming!  They are the highlight of my day!  I grew up playing Scrabble.  When I got to college I found a nerdy friend who did, too.  We'd spend hours in the coffee shop (ya know before coffee shops were a thing) playing.  Gotta admit I'm kinda good.    Just from years of playing and lots of reading, really.

HCK - bummer on your race potentially getting canceled!  You've worked so hard!

Lizzie - nice miles as always, lady.  Glad Florence is staying south for you.  You HAVE had bad luck with vacations lately.  Glad your big meeting was canceled!  Less stressful trying to get to work on time after long run on Thurs?  Did you get your bread for French toast?  Gonna shoot for 18 on Thursday but will be fine with 16 since the weather won't be nearly as ideal as last week.  Plan to get up at 3 and out the door by 3:20.   LOL that's funny that HCF noticed the Packer fans in long sleeves.

Hi Lori!  Ouch on the gallbladder surgery.  My sister is supposed to have that but is putting it off.  Nice job getting back into the running and so cool you volunteered at Woodstock!

Tessa - awww glad the kit kats don't have ringworm.  Nice miles!  No competition on this board.  Just support for whatever you are doing.

Lisa - awww your posts make me smile.  I can just FEEL your runner's high!!  You smoked that course, lady.  Glad the knee is doing okay.  Are you sore at ALL?  Any chafe even?  Ha ha bourbon and blankets sounds more fun than Scrabble any day.

Cathy - hey we were mileage twins yesterday hee hee  I really liked the documentary on the Barkley!  That race is NUTS.  Oooh, I liked Try Not To Breathe.  And now I put Fly Girls on my list.  After Little Fires Everywhere, I have Something in the Water queued up.

Carol - haha I kinda felt the same about the extra humidity this summer.  I really didn't want to complain since the winter went on and on and on.  Then jumped to 100* over Mem Day weekend.  We never got those days of "THIS is why we live here".  Hoping it's a nice long perfect fall.  Girl can dream, right??

Ginny - dude, you be proud of that win!  Even more badass that you were the only one.  Where's the double high five emoticon!!

Okay, best do some work.  Blerg.  Have a good Tuesday!

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Happy Monday!!!

Lizzie, good run in the heat/humidity.  When do you guys leave for SC?  I know I should know, but being away it was hard to keep up with details.  Are your folks/family going or just a nice time alone...  Wink

HCK, good luck with the race happening.

Karen, I have loved all the Huck/Riley pics.  They are adorable together.  How cute Riley is so spunky now.  We are getting lots of rain here too. Guess I missed some major flooding while I was gone.  YAY for not being here!!!

Ahhh, it is good to be home.  The hospitality by Lisa and DC was amazing.  Such nice people to call friends.  Smile  I think we all have recapped the weekend quite well.

Called the dealership and they are sending someone out with a new battery for the car as that is what it sounds like.  Feel bad for the guy, the garbage can was ripe and the garage is stinky.  Opened the door to air it out.  Then he has to work around all my junk in there.

Not getting up to much today.  My new camera is set to arrive later.  Play with that for a while then off to work.

Bleak week work wise...  Have some work woes coming up, gonna be a mess financially.  NOT telling my mother, will feel bad fibbing to her, but she will worry unnecessarily and I just don't want to put that on her.  All will work out.  Going to apply for a few jobs, but we shall see if anyone is interested in an applicant that is gone for nearly a month in Feb...

Have a good Monday, if possible, all.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Seloc

Kat - haha is it YOUR Monday?  Or maybe just feels like it after your long weekend?  I am glad we have survived Monday and are on to Tuesday!!  Awwww glad you had such a fun weekend with Ginny, Lisa and DC.  Even MORE glad that the dealer is coming out to replace the battery!!  Meh, all garages can get a little ripe at times.  Especially in TX, right?!!  Enjoy your day!!

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Sandy, funny, I didn't even realize it was Tuesday, probably from the long weekend.  Bummer your run was crappy.  I love Scrabble too.  Oddly, I never played it until I was an adult.  Fun.

I was in vet school in 9/11.  Only had PBS TV, so I still have seen very very little of the news coverage on it.

K

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I slept nothing at all, FML.  Not sure why.  Maybe medication related insomnia (one of mine has it?)  Whatever.  Pilates and maybe 0 or 7 miles tonight.  This Friday is my off Friday and Thursdays are pretty light while WFH so maybe I'll just relax and try to go to bed early.  Ha.  As if...

Karen, OMG, so cute. Both of them look like they've been together forever.  It's as if Riley is watching over him while he sleeps to make sure he is OK.

Liz, nice run.

HCK, good luck with the race if they don't cancel.

Sandy, nice 7.

Kat, glad you are home and good luck with the work and financial stuff.

I was working at a communications department of a public agency in PR on that day.  We had tvs all over the office.  We didn't work at all, but rather watched in shock.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

My co-worker walked into my office, his wife had just called and told him about the first plane hitting the tower.  A little later he walked back in and told me about the 2nd tower.  Just very hard to believe.  Everyone was watching on televisions in the conference rooms.

7.75 miles this morning with 3x1 mile intervals.  I think that may be the fastest that I have run in the dark!    I had a headlamp on and it was also foggy, so very surreal.  Oddly, I had a dream the other night about running in weather like this!  Home improvement - we have some small projects in the works.  The biggest one is that DH is putting some more lighting in the basement.  Our basement is not finished, and this is the first step towards finishing it.  We also are getting a new screen door and back door and we looked at some new flooring to replace our carpeting.  Fun stuff. 

Lizzie, you had fog too!  Except it was about 54 degrees here.    It's supposed to warm up towards the weekend, in time for DD's next trail race, of course.    Whew, glad that it sounds like Florence will miss you.  Hopefully there are no issues getting to SC!  Yes, fast coworker did 22 miles at 8:07 pace BUT he still has not signed up for a race.  He says he is keeping an eye on the weather for the Lakefront Marathon.  He doesn't want to be disappointed again after the fiasco last year, weather in the 90's for his goal race and then the Milwaukee Marathon!

Karen, aww, that is so cute that Riley has stepped up his game for the puppy.    Huck is pretty adorable.  Yay for the cooler weather!

Sandy, well, 7 crappy miles is still 7 miles.    One of my RB's did a 7 mile run yesterday, labelled it on Garmin as "Easy 7, if that is possible".  But hey, taper is coming for you soon, right?    Haha, took me a minute to get the mileage twins thing.    Funny, I have Something in the Water on hold at the library!  I think there's still about 20 people in front of me though.

Kat, glad that you are getting the car issues taken care of!  Haha, the good news is that it's Tuesday!    Have fun with the new camera!

Lisa, I imagine that you put a lot of food away.    Nice that you are recovering well!  We have a 24 hour trail race by me,  the "Run S'more 24".  It's a 3 mile loop in a county park, dirt and wood chips.  Not super hilly but hilly enough.    It was new last year, my RB's really enjoyed it.  Smaller race though.

Kupcakes, sounds bad for your race!  Hope the flooding is not too bad by you.

Tessa, I hope your kittens are doing well!

Hi Lori!  Welcome back!

Damaris, I didn't sleep well either!  Didn't fall asleep until after 12:30, kept waking up, and then up by 4:00.  Yawn.  Good luck with the Pilates!  And the 0 or 7.  

Cathy

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Cathy, congrats on the good and speedy run.

Car guy just left, new battery - and best of all, IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY!!!  Sweetness.

Tuesday indeed.

Smile

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I was at work when somebody told me about the first plane. I assumed it was some kind of freakl accident until he came back and told me about the second. Then when my break time came I went to the canteen to see that your Pentagon was hit. Scary. What I will always remember though is how the American population rallied together to stand strong in the aftermath.

Anyway I walked an hour and a half this morning. I hope to get out and tackle Bertha, my hill, later.  Maybe 5k?

Kats, I get it. I used to feel the need to keep certain information away from my dad for that exact reason. He over worried. I hope you find something soon..

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Before I forget....I know some of you use heart rate training. I've never but what with all the scare I'm going through with heart testing I'm thinking I should monitor it. Because I'm NOT going to quit my long distances. My chest strap for my garmin just won't work. Not sure why. I know they're the best to use vs. watch varieties but I'm open to all suggestions on what to use. I'm also open to using a Fitbit style one where I can monitor it 24/7 but iif I'm going to splurge I want to splurge on something good vs. crap. Suggestions?

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Before I forget....I know some of you use heart rate training. I've never but what with all the scare I'm going through with heart testing I'm thinking I should monitor it. Because I'm NOT going to quit my long distances. My chest strap for my garmin just won't work. Not sure why. I know they're the best to use vs. watch varieties but I'm open to all suggestions on what to use. I'm also open to using a Fitbit style one where I can monitor it 24/7 but iif I'm going to splurge I want to splurge on something good vs. crap. Suggestions?

I have friends that have the Garmin FR235 and they really like it, it has the wrist based HR.  One of my friends has that and the Fitbit Blaze and he usually wears the Garmin.  The chest strap works better for catching quick changes in HR, like when doing intervals.  Some of my friends use the chest strap with the 235 to get the more accurate HR for those types of workouts but use the wrist based for most of their runs.  But if you are looking for 24/7 monitoring, then a wrist based watch would probably work fine.

Not sure why your strap for the Garmin wouldn't work, I have the FR230 and previously the 220 and had no issues with the chest strap HR.