Womens Running

Labor Day Mondays! (DAILIES) (Read 21 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Still hard to believe it is September!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

10.2 miles for me.

Oh God. This run was AWFUL. I just could not slow down. I was pretty darn close to MP and it was 73 dewpoint. I am not sure why I was going so fast. Because I was so speedy and it was so warm, I just lost all my energy by mile 5. I pushed though and kept going. I started getting a stomach upset at mile 7 (probably because fast + humid) so I walked a couple minutes to let that pass. It did, but now my stomach is awful..haha. Anyway, its done. I slept in and went out after the sun was up, I know why I like runs in the dark now.

No abs class today since the gym closes early. Bummer

May head to work today...may not. Work has been so slow lately, I almost feel like i should wait and do it tomorrow morning so I have something to fill my time! LOL. I am talking myself out of it, you see it? Haha. My BF had mentioned she wanted me to check out her new house today..so I may do that. We will see!

Margaret - Yay for the race sign up! And YAY for those awesome miles this weekend! Of course I don’t mind if you were the Axe Murderers shirt. I am excited to get everyone together! HCF drinks coffee at night from that morning, haha. Is it regular?? I wouldn’t be able to drink regular coffee that late! Sorry you have to work today. Can you at least do it from home??

Kathryn - Thanks for answering!! I sent you a Facebook message Smile How do you make your nachos?? YAY for Glass City!! I am so excited to see everyone!! Sorry for the slow day! Are you off today?

Karen - I can’t believe you still made it to the pool party! What a LONG LONG day you had! At least your travel on the way home was better?? You are awesome. I think if you would have signed up for the half at Glass City, you would have changed to the full Smile We started season 2 last night. I had a hard time remembering what happened in that last episode of season 1.

Tessa - Bummer you can’t make it to Glass City. We understand! I am sure you are glad to be home! And YAY for more kit kats! Post pictures if you can Smile

Have a great day everyone!

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Morning,

Lizzie, sorry about such an awful run.  Meh, stay home from work...  As long as you won't get in trouble that is.  Got your FB message.  Glad to help anytime.  Nachos, I simmer the beef with chipotle chili powder and cumin. Different.  Then just the regular stuff - olives, tomatoes, beans, some cilantro and then smothered in way too much cheese.

Todays run, at this point, is a no go.  Got up and the sky cast this bizarre yellow haze appearance.  Thought it was weird.  Now it is just gray.  Had a pretty good downpour and now the thunder is rumbling.  No thanks.  Strange, the 10 day forecast has rain/thunder storms every day.  But only 90-91 out.  Oops, crazy downpour again.  The rains down here in TX are either feast or famine.  Nothing, or flooding rain.

I mentioned selling stuff to finance a new camera body and I sold enough to cover more than half, YAY!  My good friend who does photo work will totally poo-poo me, but oh well.  She does have a tendency to make me feel small when I want to do something like that.  I think part of it is that I can afford to spoil myself, where she can't.  (Maybe if she got a job to support her art habit....  But don't get me started on that.)

Oops. light flicker, better post.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

dhuffman63

Trails

Well so much for good intentions and all.  I DNS'd the race.

Drove down Sat after the inventory observation, that's another story, stopped for lunch at McD's in Choutou  and the fish tasted a bit "off" but not like it was bad.  Got to the hotel in Coalgate...Country Charm Inn...not charming but it had a shower and a bed.  Also a fridge and a microwave.  No shampoos, no coffee maker and the damn AC was either hot or too cold.  Anyway unpacked the car and drove out to the race site.

If you are ever looking for a bare bones, very small race this is it.  It's help on someone's land, the trails are 3.2 mile paths cut through a pasture with a brush hog....some go through some treed shaded areas, no chip timing.  I walked about 1/2 mile of it since it would be dark at 5 am and didn't want to break and ankle or something.  There would be 10 loops for the 50k.  I then went back into "town" and ate at the restaurant next to the motel, pancakes and bacon.

Went to bed around 930 with my stomach not happy but not bad...woke up at midnight and threw up for a couple of hours.  The alarm was set for 3:30 but by then I knew I wasn't going to make it.  Got about 2 hours sleep and checked out for the 3.5 hour drive home.  Got home around noon, laid down for a bit.  Got a sandwich and then got on the TM to try and make up the miles.  Got 24 miles in but had enough plus my stomach was starting to hurt again.  Didn't finish either 50k but I'm not sore and my stomach feels ok.

Kat I would think a good friend would support your decisions as long as they aren't harmful.  Course you all are my good friends and are nothing but enablers 

Lizzie it's been dead for me but now I have another big project and have to go to  KC again the week of the 10th, then I go to CO for a week for training. Like Kat's rain it's feast or famine.  I won't be able to go to Glass City either....I can only do one away race a year $$ wise and want to do Javalena in Oct or Loup Garou in Dec.  AZ is where one of DH's sisters live so maybe we can do a vacation there and LG is in LA and close to where my parents/brother are so again a trip to see them.

Karen congrats to the Master's win and another state down.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Woke up with a tropical storm on top of Miami, which is nice and all due to the weather being cooler and rainy.  Maybe I will run some miles today after all. Other than that, laundry and dyeing my hair before work tomorrow.

So, East Canyon Marathon near Salt Lake City, UT. Don't do it unless you like very very very small races. I DNFd at Mile 18 as it started at 7500ft and since the get go, I couldn't even run easy pace even though the course had a 2000ft drop on the first 10 miles.

This race is too small and is also a logistical disaster. The RD means well, but this was not well organized at all. Maybe if he had more people registering he can spend some more time and money, but from the bus that finally took us to the start line at 5:53pm for a 6am start (she didn't even know where to drop us and a guy that drove the course told her how to get there), to open roads, etc. It was just too small of a race for me. 30 marathoners from what I counted at the start. No wonder by Mile 10 I was DFL.

If you see my uploaded miles, you can see how bad it was for me from the get go.

Oh, there were no medical tents or med people along the way (like some small races have with people biking the course). None of that at all. Maybe if I had said at one water station (a table with cups and two high school students) that I wanted someone to pick me up, but I doubt the kids would know what to do in that case.

On top of that, it was short by 0.20 through Mile 18. I really would've been pissed if I had finished and the course was short.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Liz, nice run.  Some days it's nice to fly.

Kat, yay on the camera fund.

Diane, I'm sorry about the stomach flu.  I had something similar last year and it's not fun!  Feel better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Happy Labor Day!  We may go and check out a Labor Day festival.  DH is actually in a union.  One of the few left?    Rest day for me today.  I have tomorrow off as a comp day for being on call for Labor Day weekend.  I have my running eval at 9:30, after I drop DD off for her first day of school!  I am supposed to do my first interval workout tomorrow also, I guess I should not do it before the running eval?  The option is to do the intervals after the eval, when it's in the 80's and humid.  Or on the treadmill.  Blah.  I guess I will make a call on it tomorrow!  My FB friend that was doing the 100 miler did finish!  The last 25 miles was a slow go, but he did it, a little over 34 hours total.  I am happy for him.  He was just so disappointed when he stopped at 75.  I think it's amazing that he went back out and finished!

Lizzie, OK, it's kind of funny how you sabotaged your run by going too fast.  Well, not funny haha.     Steady state is a little slower than tempo.  It's faster than marathon pace.  The "out and back" runs that I was doing before were supposed to approximate marathon pace, I was doing them at about 9:20 pace.  Assuming that I was actually in marathon shape.    That steady state pace is probably a little slow for me.  It's a fine line between pushing hard on that run and then suffering on the long run the next day!  Well, I can plan for the Lakefront marathon in 2020.  

Kat, nice on the camera fund!

Diane, sorry about your stomach issues and the DNS.  Wow on 24 miles on the TM!  I'm glad that you are feeling better.

Damaris, wow, that was a small race!  Maybe it's a good thing that you DNF'd with that mess, and the possibility of a short race!

Karen, congrats on the Master's win!  Grandmaster?  Like Grandmaster Flash?  

Tessa, more kitty-cats?  Yay!    Heehee on running pantless.

Cathy

Anonymous Guest

Lazy morning for me. Three cups of coffee and I still don't want to do anything. Surprisingly, I'm not super sore. Generally tired, but nothing really hurts. Taking a rest day today and not running tomorrow morning either. I'll probably go to the group hill workout tomorrow night but either walk or just go super easy.

The 40something chick ahead of me was second overall, so I did end up with the masters win yesterday. Cathy, you made me laugh - in fact, I took a picture of the results printout and texted it to DH yesterday along with the comment "just call me Grandmaster K." Reminded me of the Married with Children episode where Bud was going to be a rapper and called himself Grandmaster B. Literally the only Married with Children episode I remember for some reason.

DH was on his third tequila when I got to the party. He switched to sangria, then beer, then water, so is not 100% today, but is functional. There are probably a couple neighbors at least in worse shape. It was a fun evening, but by 9 o'clock I was falling asleep on my feet so we called it a night. I came home, took an Aleve PM and slept soundly from about 9:30 until 7 this morning.

Margaret, from yesterday. Cycling is a good way to get quad strength, but I would say you're probably good with running hilly routes and doing stairs. If I were to do anything else, I'd do the dreaded strength training. Core to help keep you from leaning over too much on the hills, and anything to work on glutes and hips, also hamstrings. I've been doing squats every day (except yesterday, and maybe not today) and I think that helped on the hilly course. For a downhill marathon, focus on running form downhill - constant braking is what takes a toll on your quads. Not sure if that's helpful or just random rambling, but at least it's less random rambling than you would have gotten from me yesterday.

Liz, makes it difficult when that happens - you know you should slow down because it's going to suck at the end, but find yourself running faster than you want in spite of that. And then you feel like crap. You are getting some killer mileage in crappy weather, and it's going to really pay off once things cool down and the humidity is more reasonable. Yes, I remember watching the last episode of season one and going my jaw dropping, but I don't remember the details. Might rewatch the last episode before starting the new season.

Kathryn, you've had a couple days of dealing with the annoying public lately! Kudos to you for putting up with it.

Diane, that's a bummer getting there and then getting sick. But nice comeback on the TM miles later in the day. Oh, according to the USPS, your check for the airbnb made it here on Saturday - thank you! It should be sitting in the mailbox, so my exercise today is going to be walking down to the mailbox to get it.

Damaris, frustrating on all the race issues. At least Utah has some beautiful areas to go back to? We may have to fire your hubby from choosing races...

Cathy, that is so awesome he went back out and finished the race. I don't know if I could have done that. Hmm, tough decision on the intervals. I'd probably opt for the TM because even slowing the pace for conditions, it is just hard to run hard in the heat and humidity.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Seloc

Hello hello!  Not sure what today will bring running-wise.  Monday's are typically rest days but I've changed so many things around and since I don't have to work I feel like I should get out there.  Contemplating going down to the river trails.  It's plenty humid but overcast and that would be among the trees so maybe not too bad?  Was LAZY this morning and laid in bed until almost 8.  Just laundry and cleaning so far.  Was another full day a the fair!  I think I forgot to eat much and the beer caught up with me.  Took a little nap at my sister's before heading home haha.  Let's see, as for food, I did have a bite of the following: pronto pup, bacon wrapped pork belly, grilled corn on the cob and that might have been it?  I did come home and eat some popcorn in bed too LOL

Cathy - yay for comp day tomorrow for on-call!  And your eval tomorrow sounds super cool.  I'm excited to hear the results.  Hmmmm, not sure what I would do about tomorrow's run either.  I guess I'd be tempted to just get it done at the usual morning time.  My Dad was in a union.  Congrats to your friend finishing the 100!  Wow!  That takes some toughness to head back out there.  Awesome.  Yes!  That is the book haha.  How in the world did you remember that?  I'm enjoying it.

Diane - sorry about the DNS.  Huge bummer especially since it was so far away.  Wow on then 24mi on the dreadmill??  No.  Thank.  You.  But, different strokes for different folks.

Kat - yikes on the storms.  Best to stay safe indoors.  Congrats on making some money for new camera stuff.  Oh goodness, I'd just blow off that friend.  IMO, people act that way due to jealousy or insecurity.  You keep doing what works for YOU!

Lizzie - sorry for the crappy run but goodness - 10mi in that weather and you were speedy??  I'd say that should give you some confidence, no?  WTG!!  How fun you are looking at land!!  How is Ruger buddy doing today?  Super pumped for Glass City.  Though I gotta admit I'm a bit concerned about training for an April marathon here in MN.  But, the Farmer's Almanac said it's supposed to be warmer this year.  Hope so!!  Let me know what you find for lodging!  Would love to be your roomie  

Gatsby - whoop whooop for Glass City!  Pumped to meet ya!  Awesome weekend miles!  Cool on the book score.  I really liked Girl On The Train.  Couldn't get into A Man Called Ove.  Haha laughing at your coffee then beer.  Sorry for the working on the weekend and holiday.  No fun.

Tessa - hooray for more kitties!!

Karen - woohoo for Glass City!  And huge congrats on the marathon wins!  You are kind of amazing.  How are you feeling today?  Hope you can relax and chill.  5 more days until puppy day yayyyyy!!

Elina - yikes, sorry for all the chaos!  That does not sound fun at all.  Hang in there!!

Okay, laundry is done.  Best go fold and try to motivate to go run.

ginnyb

Liz......funny on not slowing down even though it was miserable.  Well not funny, but you know what I mean.  You will be flying once the heat and humidity are gone!

diane... so sorry about the stomach issues, driving all that way to get sick is not a good thing.  Glad you are feeling better.

Damaris... race sounds disappointing whether you finished or not. Maybe stay away from those high altitude races.  We lived in Denver for a couple years back in the 80’s.  I never had any trouble, but I don’t have asthma either and I wasn’t running long distances at the time.

Margaret... what was that code for the discount again?  I searched for your post and couldn’t find it.

Wow Karen!  Good job!  So cool to be first on your “casual run”

kat,  what did you sell and how did you sell?  I have some nice things I wouldn’t mind making a little cash with.  Great on your camera find,

5 muggy miles for me this morning, even I am getting over it.  Went to Panera this morning and got half a dozen bagels!  I can’t temember the last time I had a bagel and I love them.  Carbs are good this week, right?  Can’t wait to have an everything bagel for lunch.

ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Anonymous Guest

Ginny, I'm not Margaret but I just signed up. Code is WeddingFun.

And yes, eat all the carbs!

Sandy, mmmmm, you had me at bacon wrapped pork belly. Funny, A Man Called One is one of my favorite books. I've read all his books. Then again, I think my recommendations on books have been hit or miss for you.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Ginny, I sold some InknBurn running clothes and a few Sparkle Skirts.  Both have some resale value.  Most were new or barely worn.  There are Facebook groups for each.  Next I am going to purge my designer shoes.  VERY VERY sad, I adore them.  But with more weight and age, they no longer fit in any way.  Not even close to being able to shove my fat feet in them.  Sad  There is a high end consignment shop here in SA I will try.  Whatever doesn't sell, I will drag to Houston in Dec and try theirs.

And after telling my GF that she indeed poo-poo'd me on the camera, she is coming around.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Kathryn - Those nachos made my mouth water. Hey, you do whatever makes you happy Smile I am with Sandy, blow off that friend Smile FYI - all those tops you gave me when I visited, I still wear them! Smile You have some very nice stuff!

Diane - Oh man Diane, I am sorry about your stomach!! Never trust McDonalds! But WOW on the 24 miles on the treadmill. That is awesome. Understand about Glass City!

Docket - Oh man. I like Margaret’s suggestion of putting that on a race website so people know! 5:53 drop off?! That is cutting it way too close. I can’t even imagine if it was Karen taking that bus. LOL. Smart to drop out at mile 18. I would have been pissed too if the course was short. Glad you are feeling better.

Cathy - Sweet about the comp day! Let us know how the running evaluation goes. I am really interested to hear what they say. Hmm..I don’t see a problem doing your run before? I would. I mean, you can’t be running “that” long for the evaluation, right? Your call! Morning is better than 80’s and humid though. Wow, congrats to your friend!! It is amazing that he went back out and finished! Ah, makes sense about the steady state run. Yes, plan on 2020 Smile Hehe. I have a feeling we might be visiting before then. HCF has said no moving there since family wouldn’t be close. Sigh. Maybe someday. I am meant to live in the COLD climate!

Karen - That is some killer sleep you got last night. I think its perfectly acceptable to be lazy today. Hey, I only ran 10 and I haven’t really moved much from the couch! I am laughing at DH. I hope these crappy humid days pay off - or should I say - THEY BETTER! Did I mention that I want to be like Karen when I grow up?

Margaret - Richmond Marathon is a downhill finish. I am usually sore EVERY year afterwords because of it. I know that doesn’t help much…but in the moment of finishing, I didn’t have a problem. I doubt you will either. Maybe the day after of course Smile Core work does help the hills!

Sandy - I am laughing at having to take a nap after the fair. First of all, how can one forget to eat?! HOW?! Haha, I am kidding. Beer fills you up! Glad you had a good time. I am with Karen, that pork belly sounds awesome. Of COURSE you would eat popcorn. I need to remind myself to put some in the room you are sleeping in Smile Maybe my run should have given me confidence - I didnt think of it that way Smile I just wish Summer were O V E R! I hope your Winter isn’t as bad this year!! YES, I would love to room with you! I will check out some Airbnb’s.

Ginny - Nice run!! Oh yes!!! The half is this weekend!!! Bagels galore for you!!! That sounds really good.

Guess what you guys? I didn't do anything today, either. LOL. Man, I have just been feeling super lazy! And I am not mad about it! Smile

Ruger keeps putting his stuffed squeaky peacock in my lap. I guess he wants to play Smile Have a good evening!

Docket_Rocket

Thanks to Tropical Storm Gordon, which is just leaving Miami and South Florida (it came in this morning before I woke up, I think), it was a Winterish 78F and 75 dewpoint, so I ran 4 @ 10:42mm outside.  My HR was a bit high but considering the legs felt like they ran a marathon and that I could barely breathe yesterday due to the altitude, it was great.

Part of me wonders if my BP meds are wrecking my endurance, but I cannot decide based on a high altitude race and a run in humid AF weather, RIGHT?

Cathy, hope you enjoyed the rest.

Karen, glad you are not feeling too sore. Enjoy the well deserved rest.

Sandy, hope you enjoyed whichever you decide upon doing today.

Ginny, nice 5.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Arimathea

Tessa

Damaris, you definitely made the right decision. And oh man would I have been ticked if I had toughed it out and the course was short. 7 minutes before the start? Even with only 30 marathoners that still doesn't leave enough time for everyone to pee.

Karen, yay on masters win!

Kat, purging stuff you'll never wear again is good. Especially when you can use the $$ for something you want.

Diane, sorry you DNS'd, tummy upsets are no fun. Not sure I would want to do a 10 loop 50K. I have done a 12 loop marathon.

Liz, I am not ruling out Glass City completely, but I don't want to use a code spot if someone else can use it since it is limited. I will talk to my boss.

Cathy, very few people are in unions now -- glad DH is getting Labor Day off. I always felt it was unfair when my DH didn't get Veterans Day off and he was a vet.

Yowling from the bathroom. We have 5 new little kit kats. Not quite 4 weeks old, 4 black and 1 gray. One of the black kittens is a boy, the other 4 are girls. Accepting name nominations. Must begin with N. And "Nothing" has already been vetoed.

6.3 this morning. It has been cool here, not sure how long that will last!