Womens Running

Back at it MONDAYS (DAILIES) (Read 19 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I am back I am back!

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Day 2 of rest for me! Was going to go do some abs but I am going to take a full day so I can attempt a recovery run tomorrow. Would also like to do a light body pump tomorrow.

I did make the mistake of making an OB apt today. UGH. My first one came back abnormal (TMI?)..so i have to go redo it. I will do that and then hit the grocery store.

Today is the first sunny day VA has seen in 5 days! Ruger is going to daycare! He has been stuck in this house way too long. Smile

Tessa - WOW what an accomplishment for RN! Congratulations to her!! Nice of you to help pace her!

Docket - YES!! That was the photo I saw! I even said..wow look at those muscles Smile I have never had this happened to me with a pacer..but I knew he was going out to fast. I should have not tried to keep up with him the first 6 miles…I think that may have had something to do with my crash, too.

Run4kupcakes - Nice workout yesterday! Have you tried Old navy? I found some jean shorts there..they are “longer” and more comfortable. That is the only place I have had luck this year!

Karen - I am with you on the disappointed feeling. I think if it wasn’t for YOU and SANDY..I would have felt really sorry for myself on how I blew up. Even if it was the winds’ fault. But I am okay with my time because I had such a blast!! I was trying to explain Davis tire to HCBF but he just gave me a pity laugh.

Margaret - Try Old Navy!!! Seriously. I bought 3 pairs of jeans shorts there..I think they are 3 1/2” long..and those will probably be the only shorts I buy this year LOL.  WOOHOO Maine!!! OH HCBF and I are going to Ft Lauderdale..the weather doesn't look the way we want it..but if we are away from here we are happy Smile

Sandy & Karen - You know I didn't eat any dinner last night. Perkins really filled me up! Wait, I did have Halo Smile

Cathy - Thanks for the sweet texts during the race Saturday. I was being so hard on myself that I blew up..but you were helping Smile Hope you had a great weekend!

Happy Monday! Excited for all you Pinelands ladies!!! WOOHOO!!

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Sandy - Those MSP flights are down to $300 today!! Glad you told me to wait! I am going to buy today Smile

Crazy busy weekend!! Saturday we did a 8.5 mile poker float. You kayak to different places along the river.  We kayaked from the Pascagoula bridge to Gautier and back. Took about four hours. OMG we were SO tired!!!! And sunburned!!  sunscreen washed off my shins and I forgot to reapply. ;(

Sunday run was 8.1--actually not bad. I was worried I would be still from kayaking, but it was ok

This morning I headed back to weight class at the gym.  I was able to hang much better than anticipated. I did use light weights though, but I was still able to do most of the reps.  At the end we did some balance poses and I nailed those!  All those flamingos and one legged squats paid off haha.

Sounds like y'all rocked Fargo. Found out one of my running friends was also there, so if you talked to Kay from south Mississippi you met her.

Tessa--100 miles!!! I can't imagine.

Have a great day!!!

dhuffman63

Trails

Karen,,,I think it was you or maybe Lisa who told me once this is supposed to be fun so where I sit fun beats time always.  And given my 8 hour 26 mile "training" run I'm having loads of fun...lol.  I think you did fantastic.

Lizzie same to you...your time beats anything I could put down and I know from the Prairie Spirit that headwinds at 20 or more mph are no joke.  You did awedome.

Sandy it sounds like the best weekend ever.  I can't wait to someday meet you all.  Congratulations on your race.

Damaris, look at those legs...lol.  Sounds like a weekend of tough marathons all around.

Tessa, how wonderful of you to pace RN.  When I volunteered at PS it was at an aid station through the evening hours and I saw the hundred mile people coming through.  It was cold and windy and ramen soup was what a lot wanted.

R4k, I have a bunch of running shorts and a few others but I hate shopping.  Sometimes if we go to Academy and they have stuff on sale I'll look through but I'm so small it's hard to find things in my size.

Sue, I hope we get to go kayaking this year.  It's a once a year treat for me.  I'm hoping the rowing machine will help me not be sore cause we usually do the 8 mile trip.

I did 12 miles on the TM on Sat and another 10 on Sun to bring my week back to the 30 mpw level.  I did my first 5 days a week instead of 4 and feel great today.  I'll keep Mon and Fri as rest days maybe add Fri as a row day along with Wed.  My mid week run miles will start to increase so I'll need to do doubles since I'm so slow I don't want to be still walking at 830 at night.

Hello to everyone...I'll be in spreadsheet hell today.  Have a great Monday.

Anonymous Guest

It's good to be home, but why can't you all move down here? No running for me. Laundry, plus I have to take a look at the food situation here - after leaving DH home alone I probably need to get groceries.

Liz, DH ate my Halo Top! But he left the small container of ice cream and I ate it all. For dinner. Oh I was texting DH last night and found myself typing "and I was hot flashing like Beverly on the back deck" and realized that wouldn't really work to explain things. But that was just about the final straw when I was trying to get off the plane with the old man saga.

Tessa, congrats to RN, and to you for successful pacing.

Damaris, Liz did comment on your pictures yesterday. I went and looked and yes, that one you posted here - on fb those leg muscles!

Sandy, I ordered my under-the-seat carryon today, so am going to book my Spirit flight for TCM today. Still holding at $150, but the other airlines are all $383 now.

Susan, that kayaking thing sounds fun. Was it one of those things where you get a card from each place and at the end that's your poker hand? Sometimes yacht clubs used to do that on SF Bay when we lived there - we never participated but I always thought that looked like fun.

Diane, thanks. I wanted to BQ so I had the option to run Boston next year (and before I got into 100 miler training and started running marathons as long runs instead of racing them), but when it came down to it, I decided I'd rather enjoy the race than try to keep pushing. And I'm perfectly okay with that. I'd like to run Boston one more time, but I'd like to do a lot of other stuff too, so it doesn't matter that it won't be next year.

Oh, funny story, when I finished Fargo I got a fb message from my former coworker in DC (does anyone remember the guy that made the spreadsheet for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler that he could update on the fly based on actual paces and his walking from spectator point to spectator point pace to track me, another coworker and his sister?) Turns out his sister ran Fargo and then we looked later and she finished about 20 seconds behind me! She also wanted to BQ, she also slowed down and didn't because of the wind. She's older than me, so I think only needed a 4:10 and was trying for 4:07, so didn't crash quite as violently as I did. And still said wonderful things about the race.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

RTurtles

Running with the Turtles

Happy Monday!  Congrats to Damaris and the Fargo ladies!    I didn't see anything I would characterize as crashing either.  Seemed like tough conditions at the finish and all the ladies were pushing!  So happy that you had such a fantastic weekend!  3 miles for me Saturday, 6 on Sunday and 12 on the bike with the kiddos on Saturday before the 50 degree weather returned.  Rest day today, and it's rainy and blah.  Strength tonight!  Oh, I finished the Deena Kastor book, I would recommend it to those that like her and that would not be turned off by someone that is super duper positive!    She is inspiring and I tried to channel her and think positive thoughts before and during my runs this week.

Lizzie, congrats on a hard race!  Wish I could have been there so when you got negative I could stop it!    You are accomplishing some great things!  20+ mph winds are no joke.  I wonder if the pacer was trying to bank some time to account for the wind?  Going out fast is usually not recommended though.    I was wondering if you would catch up to Karen at the end!  Twin Cities will be a tough course to PR, but I have faith.  Then you have Richmond, which seems to be a lucky course for you!  I hope your appointment goes well.  I have had abnormal tests also.  I'm glad VA is welcoming you with sun!  We are back to rain.

Sue, that is a lot of kayaking!  Ouch on the sunburn!

Diane, wow, nice workouts this weekend!  Good luck getting through the day!

Karen, when is your next race?  You have until September to BQ right?    Didn't you BQ or PR a marathon while training for a longer race before?   I will have to check my running groups and see if a guy from Milwaukee mentions Fargo!    Look at you, extroverting.  

Sandy, congrats on meeting your goal!  You shuffle pretty darn well.    Did you see the Miracle Season movie?  DD really liked it, I just read the book.  It's also good, lots of volleyball talk.  

Damaris, congrats again and awesome race pics!  You look great.

Kupcakes, I have a hard time finding shorts also.  The legs are wide and floppy on me.    Athleta shorts generally work well for me, but pricey so I have to wait until they are on sale!

Elina, congrats on the 10K!  Awesome progressive pace!  Hmm, 7.4 mile race vs 14.3.  That is a big difference!    Sometimes I go with the longer distance so I don't feel obligated to run too fast.  

Margaret, nice mileage for the week!

Tessa, congrats to your friend and it's great that you could help her.  Running on trails in complete darkness seems pretty scary to me.  

Cathy

Seloc

Rest day for me, too.  Only hamstrings are mildly sore - probably more from sitting.  Planning HIIT class tomorrow because our favorite teacher is teaching it this month.  Will run Wed and/or Thurs depending on weather.  Supposed to maybe be stormy.

Still riding the weekend high.  I suspect I will crash this week at some point.  But, I do have a few social activities planned which will help!  Still laughing at the tire mishap and hot flash Beverly.

Karen - how dare DH eat your ice cream!  Glad he didn't find your stash in the door.  You and Lizzie had ice cream for dinner, guess what I had?  Yup - beer.  And popcorn.  Hooray for TCM!!  OMG I'm dying at "hot flashing like Beverly"  AND your old man saga!  I wonder what hysterical events will occur in October??

Thanks, Diane.  Nice running this weekend for you!

Sue - wow, that kayaking sounded TOUGH!  I once was support kayak for a guy that swam 5mi across a lake.  Whoa that was rough on the ol' bum.  Nice 8 mi yesterday and weights today!  WOOHOO!

Lizzie -  hooray for TCM!!  Glad the flights went down!  Ugh on the OB.  Hope you get some couch time this morning.  Glad you are seeing some sunshine, too!  I'm SO HAPPY you aren't too bummed with your time.  That wind sucked ass.  3min off a PR is freakin AWESOME!!  I was thinking this morning - I failed in getting you your pre-race sushi!  Small town MN did NOT come through in that regard.  But, for TCM I got ya covered!  There's a really good place just 3mi from my house.  Oh, and you left all the cookies for me!  Dangerous!  I might have had a couple this morning with my coffee 

Cathy - SO HAPPY to see you post miles!  Seriously gives me a big ol' cheesy grin.  Dang, I might have to BUY Deena's book since the library doesn't have it!  I have not seen that movie yet.  I'm horrible at seeing movies.  I start to think I want to and then look at the price haha.  Good to know it's a book!  I will for sure try to find that.  Thanks!!

Damaris - you look AWESOME it your race photos!

HCK - I meant to mention that I have luck with shorts from the Gap and Eddie Bauer.  The are longer-ish.  And, I recently got rid of a couple pair that the pockets were completely gone and the hems were all frayed.  Dang they were my favorites, though!

Awww just heard from my sister that my nephew blew is knee in football this weekend.  I feel so bad for him!  She asked if I would get him some food since he's moved out of the dorms for summer.  Poor kid.

Track tonight if it doesn't get rained out.  Happy Monday!!

Arimathea

Tessa

HCK -- I hate shopping also. Found a couple of pairs of comfy sweatshirt type material shorts at Costco of all places.

Karen, DH must have been desperate if he ate the Halo Top! Fargo can have vicious winds. Glad you are not disheartened. Wish you were coming to Pinelands!

Liz, in my experience pacers often go out too fast. Either they are trying to "bank" time or they are overly optimistic. I have had two good experiences with pace groups and a whole lot of not so good ones, so I do not put much faith in them. Nor do I believe the sign the pacer is carrying. When you see the 4:30 pacer several minutes in front of the 4:15 at about 5 miles in, you know one of them, at least, is messed up!

Diane, soup seems to be a popular choice for cold tired runners. It certainly helped RN!

Cathy, running on trails in complete darkness would be very scary. We had headlamps and RN was carrying a flashlight as well, so that meant we could see where we were stepping. Apparently a lot of runners saw snakes in the early stages, but by the time I went out on Saturday midday all the snakes would have been sleeping and then later that night they had probably figured out that there were still a lot of people stomping down the trail and any sensible snake should stay well away to avoid being disturbed. Besides, with runners coming by constantly there wouldn't be any mice, gophers, or other prey close by the trail anyway.

What did worry me was the potential for mountain lions. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be out there in an exhausted, disoriented, "let me finish this last loop" stage alone.

Sandy, sorry about your nephew's knee!

Susan, poker kayaking, is that where you collect a card at each stop and whoever has the best hand at the end wins? I am presuming you do not kayak using a poker rather than a paddle...

No run this morning. I needed the sleep a lot more!

Kittens have an appointment with the vet on Wednesday. More shots, plus Jacques and Jericho are ready for neutering and adoption and I think Jupiter may be ready by Wednesday (but we are keeping him).

Diane--great mileage!

Kat--second Eddie Bauer. I have great luck with Land's End too.  I sometimes order several sizes to try on and return the extras. I usually order one size smaller than I usually wear.  Smile

Poker float--yes, you kayak to several places and they have games where you either draw a card or do modified corn hole toss, etc for your card. Best hand won. The woman who hung with us won.  She had just moved here last week and wanted to stay with someone who knew the area.  DF is the navigation pro, plus we were slower than some of the younger groups.  Smile

Kilmisters

First of all, thanks for entertaining (no sarcasm) race reports, I read them w morning coffee in my hand and a wide smile (which says a lot since I almost never smile before noon).

Lizzie, wise to take full day off - there is no such thing as too many rest days after marathon (or so I'd assume). Grab some beer (wine?) from the grocery store - you deserve it Smile

Sue, nice pictures of FB from cayaking... That must have been a great arm workout Smile

Diane, nice weekend mileage! How do you feel today after 22mi in two days? Spreadsheet hell? Trying to send Excel mojo in your direction!

Karen, I do not remember the excel tracking guy story, but it sounds both amazing and creepy at the same time!

Cathy, nice mixture of workouts in last few days Smile

Sandy, ''blew his knee'' sounds rather... Well, there is quite a range in terms of recovery. Is he sidelined for weeks, months or no one knows? Poor guy anyway.

Feeling really good after yesterdays ''race'', so planned easy 10k this eve (will probably head out at 8:30pm, stupid warm temps). Funny thing is that after all these warm, sunny runs my face has a hard-to-not-notice tanned shape of running sunglasses. Cheeks maybe not so much but the nose looks hilarious. Oh well. This day at work was survival mode (so, nothing new). After the run I'll probably take a sheet of paper and create structured to-do-list while sipping beer (the best kind of to-do-lists).

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Anonymous Guest

Cathy, yes, I could still BQ this summer or even as late as something like Erie in September, but I don't think I'm going to try. I've been getting a little frustrated that the only marathons I've raced well in the last couple years were both short. I knew this one could go either way - flat, cold temps but only 5 weeks after Boston, and decided beforehand that if it didn't go as well as I'd hoped, I'd concentrate on base building and running a few marathons easy as training runs for December, and not worry about Boston until 2020. I think I need to take the pressure off myself for a bit, just get in some solid training and run for fun for a bit. Anyway, enough about me. So pumped to see you getting more running in! Thanks for the book info, right now my library only has the audiobook, so I will keep stalking it. I read a can't-put-down book this weekend (started it on the plane and finished it at Sandy's). Behind Closed Doors. It's not new so there was no waiting list at my library.

Sandy, weirdly he ate my Halo Top but left the real ice cream which was right next to it! Oh that sucks on your nephew's knee. The one that plays football at the college there? Poor kid.

Tessa, you're keeping one of the kittens? Awwwww. I'm not sure why DH chose the Halo Top over the Blue Bell, but since I didn't have "real" ice cream in the house for at least the last two months, I was glad he left it for me. Have a great time at Pinelands - I know you will.

Elina, sounds like you had fun at your race yesterday. I was laughing at your expanded cheering section including the Germans.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Lizzie, enjoy your rest day.  It is well deserved. Blech on the OB, hope all turns out OK this time.  I had an abnormal one once and all was fine and dandy.  No idea why it was funky, too many years ago.

Sue, poker float?  Sounds fun!!

Diane, great job on the miles this weekend!  Sorry you're in hell.  Come to Michigan in September and you can be in Hell again but with better company!!

Karen, sorry Riley was freaked from the storms, so was my pup.  I was home one night for some minor booms.  Then yesterday day while I was at work it was awful.  Feel bad.

Cathy, glad you enjoyed the book.

Sandy, rest up for you too!  Congrats on meeting your goal.  Super nice.  Sorry about your nephew, that must be quite hard on him.

Tessa, glad your kitties are well.  Nice you are keeping one.

Elina, good job on your race!

So the folks from the FT clinic in Austin called this morning.  She and I chatted for about 30 minutes!  She was going to email me about meeting up.  Gave me a funny feeling that I was going to get a blow off, "thanks, but no thanks response."  Pleasantly surprised with almost an immediate lets meet response email!  June 11th in Austin.  They are HOPING to open one in San Antonio late this year.

Meant to start doing stuff 2 hours ago... Crap

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

dhuffman63

Trails

Elina, I feel surprisingly well considering the week before I did all of 3 miles after my failed 50k.  In fact Sunday it was hard to stop at 10.  I did what for me is a fast finish for the last 3 miles even.  I think Sunday in honor of Pinelands I'll do a 25k at home.

Yay Tessa on the new furball!

Cathy sounds as if all your patience is paying off.  Nice running!

Kat I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.  Unfortunately Sept I have to go to CO and I have a 50k or 3 days of marathons I have already planned.

Kilmisters

Kat, fingers crossed!

Diane, good luck on Sunday Smile

10k this eve. This dry air and very warm temps combination is challenging. At least the good news is that running in more reasonable (for my Nordic preferences) conditions will feel like heaven in comparison.

Random note, dad wants to ''send'' me to represent the club in floorball federation board meeting (he'll be out of town), but.... It's on May 31. Last day of the month. Which for our department in terms of taking off day (or even hours) is about as no f---ing bueno as it gets. Well, it can be a very calm day and it can (w butterfly effect of a small issue) become hell. So I said no. Feeling slightly guilty about it, but, oh well.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris