Womens Running

Spousal Support (Read 40 times)

nrouthier

My husband is my rock.  There is nothing that I have had to face that he has not been by my side for and 100% supportive.  I wanted to climb a mountain, he climbed it with me.  I wanted to run across the Lincoln Tunnel, he hauled his ass out of bed at the crack of dawn and waited at the finish line with a smile and a camera.  In short, he's spoiled me rotten.  So, when I came home last week and told my husband that I planned to run my first half in October and he wasn't 100% supportive it crushed me.  He thinks I need more time to train, and he may be right, but I honestly thought that if he supported me I could do it.  Now I'm questioning myself.  I know it's stupid and if I put my mind to it I can do it, but now I feel like I'm doing it alone and like his doubt is one more obstacle to overcome.  I can't really vent any of this to my friends, mot of them wouldn't get it.  So thanks for listening and letting me get this off my chest.  Now to go hit the pavement.

GinnyinPA

Prove him wrong.  Train hard and run the best race you can.  Show that whatever the reason for his doubts, you can and will do it and do it well.  He may not have meant to be unsupportive, but he may overestimate the difficulty of doing 13 miles. He may not understand that a reasonably fit person can finish a half marathon.  If they train for it, they can even enjoy it.

Or it may be that he worries about the amount of time training will take, and is concerned about how that will affect him.  I have to balance my desire to train with my husband's desire to do other things with me.  Sometimes it's easy to find the time to do both, sometimes it's not.