Womens Running

Second Monday THURSDAYS (DAILIES) (Read 18 times)

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

I am all confused.

October 4 - Milwaukee, WI - 26.2

November 14 - Richmond, VA - 26.2

March 21 - Virginia Beach, VA - 26.2

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Wednesday I went down and ran the shady parts of the trail as much as possible. The dew point must have been awfully high. I had a little more water and ice. At the end while I was doing a stretch (one of these twisted things) a man stopped his bike to make sure I was ok. I had wet hair and I was all wet from the ice so I looked like a drowned rat. 

I need to hydrate a lot more before my runs in this heat.

Today I plan a quick run out the trail. The stickiness is already awful. It is supposed to be stormy today. Later today I’m off for hair cut & color, then a few groceries.

Happy runs, All! 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Rest day for me!

I probably should have done some sort of workout today after all the hotdogs and potato salad I ate last night. Who can eat just one hot dog? I wasn't even full after 2 but didn't want to push it haha. I haven't had a hotdog in YEARS but had an unusual craving for them last night. YUM.

I didn't stay up for fireworks. HCF and I ran around most of the day yesterday doing errands. I was beat.

Hoping for a slow day today!!

Judy – It takes me forever to cool down after a run, too.

Margaret – I loved your picture from the race!! What did you have for breakfast?!?!

Laura – LAAAUUURRRAAAAA!!! So good to hear from you. Wow, 1360 is VERY impressive!! But yes, you need a break! Your life is so busy between changes at work and your KIDS!! I don’t know how you found time to do it every single day. I need to take a break from racing, too! Glad to hear your kids are doing well. Hope you had a great day with BF!! We have missed you, girl!

Karen – NICE job yesterday!! That is really an impressive time! Sorry it wasn’t your fastest..but 78 dewpoint. OMG. That is awful. I was hoping that you would get rain! Maybe DH leaving later in the day is a birthday present to you? LOL Smile

Susan – Watermelon after a race sounds perfect. Nice job!

Run4kupcakes – Nice miles yesterday! I have a hard time getting the heart rate down in this heat as well.

Kilmisters – YAY on the trip!! That is exciting! And something to look forward to. That helps getting through the crap at work. I hope things slow down for you!

Docket – LOVE that picture!! Nice job on that 15 on the treadmill! Whew.

Tessa – Nice uphill run! Those are hard. Ugh. I remember that your church opened up last year for the bathrooms. Awesome that people donated. If I really had to go, I would donate $20!

Happy Thursday.

Yes---second Monday is the truth!

We were so tired last night we fell asleep before fireworks. Stark was TERRIFIED and climbed into my lap shaking. He was really upset. Poor buddy!

Took a rest day today. Was nice to sleep in. We are bums.

Wink

Seloc

Karen – AWESOME birthday present to yourself!  When does it come?  I laughed at your DH using you as an excuse on Monday.  Yep, I’d say breakfast is needed for SURE.  Congrats on the race yesterday in miserable conditions.  How do you do it??

Elina – your trip sounds AWESOME!  Who is playing?  Hope things are calming down at work for you.

QOTD: Whats your running story?  When did you start?  Why did you start?

Damaris – great picture!

LAURA!  Been thinking about you a bunch.  Glad you were able to pop in!  Thanks for the updates!  Congrats on that long ass streak!  You sound busy as EVER.  Glad you are taking that rest day – you so deserve it.

Lizzie – awesome 10miles yesterday.  How you can run in that crap is beyond me.  Hotdogs??  Ew!!  LOL  Should we start calling you Joey Chestnut??  I did not stay up for fireworks either though the neighbors woke me up about 10pm with all of theirs.  Luckily they were done in about 40min or so.  Oh, hey, I remember you mentioning that you take magnesium.  I do, too!  I’m sure you know this but it can mess with your stomach if you aren’t careful.  Ya know, the reason for the pit stops LOL.  What’s on tap for the weekend?

Ugh on this Thursday that feels like Monday.  Back in the office.  To just under 1000 emails.  I hate that being gone for two days creates so much extra work!  I have NO IDEA what my coworker did Mon/Tues but he definitely left a pile for me.  Hooray for that.  Oh yeah, running…  Still quite gross out there.  Yesterday my RB and I went water walking at the water park.  I’ve been wanting to try it – it was super fun and the perfect (HOT and disgusting) day to do so.  Then I went on a short bike ride with my amputee friend who just started training for her first Tri.  BBQ at my sisters that got WAY too late so I was WAY too hungry which caused me to eat WAY too much.  Rest day today.  Front coming through at this very moment dropping the humidity tremendously.  Wish I had another day off!  I could sure get used to this no worky thing.  At least it’s Thursday already!

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have Pilates and 6 with hill intervals tonight.  Fortunately, I'm working from home today, something my old boss wouldn't allow but new boss does not seem to care so I'll keep doing it until I hear otherwise.

Some at the office are angry at him because he won't let them change the day off while my old boss let people change it constantly.  You know, every boss has it pet peeves.  I am happier having my WFH followed by day off (tomorrow) every other week, so those other things are minor, IMO.

Liz, enjoy the rest.

Judy, yes.  Keep the hydration coming.

Susan, poor baby.

Sandy, 1000 emails?  Yikes.

QOTD:  I started running in 1999.  I remember when because we were living in Hawaii and my husband used to run and asked if I wanted to go out with him. You know that meme of I thought they said RUM?  Well, I looked like that within 1/4 mile.  Then I picked it up at the gym TM (at Pearl Harbor base, be jealous) and later in PR, and later kept it at 1-2 miles during law school here.  I took a few months off in 2007 but I missed it too much, so I got back to it and started training for my first 5K.  I don't know why I kept at it, but I suspect it's because I suck at it.  I used to play piano for 3-4 hours a day every day since I was five years old and I don't do it any longer, so this is my piano playing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Sorry you guys are having double Mondays...  Sucketh.

Lizzie, enjoy your rest day.  I gave up hotdogs years ago, but I will still indulge in sausages.

Judy, enjoy your hair!

Sue, luckily the fireworks were minimal here so the pooches weren't too upset.

Sandy, 100 emails??  That is crazy talk.

Damaris, I started, barely, in 2009.  My friends, especially my ex, thought I was nuts and couldn't believe it.

Karen, are you OK?  I read there was significant flooding in Houston.  Did any affect you??

Mom got in yesterday.  Gonna be a long visit, she isn't up for too much.  Stormed like the dickens yesterday afternoon/last night here so most 4th parties were a bust and the fireworks were curtailed.

Grossness last night - I found FOUR ticks on my one dog.  Only the one dog.  I even had put on tick meds a few days prior.  Scooting to work tonight to get a different one in hopes of nipping it in the bud, NOW.  Just too gross.  I couldn't find my hemostats, or tweezers, so I ended up picking them off with a pair on needle nose pliers.  Worked surprisingly well.

Not sure what we are getting up to today, BBQ is definitely in our future.  New place (well established from another part of TX) is a bit away were are going to try.

Guess that is it.  Have a good one.

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Arimathea

Tessa

No hot dogs here. While veggie burgers can be very good, I have yet to find a vegetarian hot dog that I would take more than one bite of.

Poor dog Stark! We had a lot of terrified dogs around here too. The shelter was asking people to adopt or foster dogs already there to make room for the anticipated influx of scared runaways last night and this morning. I shut the kittens in the interior bathroom and they don't seem to have had a problem.

Judy, definitely hydrate a lot in this heat. Good that somebody stopped to check on you!

Sandy, 1000 emails? This is why I monitor mine on weekends and days off.

Later...

Anonymous Guest

Unusually cool 73 degrees this morning. I ran 7. I would have liked to have run more, but didn't get to sleep until late thanks to a terrified Riley because of fireworks. Even on trazadone, he was shaking and panting and on my lap. One of our neighbors on the lake spends thousands of dollars on fireworks - it literally looks like an official city fireworks show. But they live less then 1/10th of a mile from us so it's really loud. Plus other people setting them off in the street in front of the house.......Riley was not a fan. And since DH is on vacation all week, he stays up later and sleeps in later. When he stays up later the TV keeps me awake - only downside to having the master bedroom downstairs. I told him when he retires he can't get into that habit because it messes with my running, and if he did I was going to make him start wearing bluetooth headphones so the noise wouldn't keep me awake.

Rescheduled the pool party for Saturday. Most people said they'd be around, so should be fun.

Judy, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! It's tough in this hot, humid weather.

Liz, hooray for a rest day! Two Monday suck, but two Fridays! I have a bunch of hamburgers and hot dogs in the fridge for the pool party. I think the last time I bought hot dogs was the last time we had people with kids over!

Susan, poor Stark! Rest day for you too, yay.

Sandy, another rest day.......why did no one tell me we were taking rest days today?!?!? I wouldn't have listened anyway, with the coolest morning in weeks here. Ugh on all the emails. Retired life is nice, isn't it?

Damaris, timing worked out good for you with holiday, WFH, Friday off this week. Are you getting used to the longer work days on the compressed schedule? I found I was able to do that okay, but when I switched to 4 10s, those were some long long days.

Kathryn, enjoy the time with your mom. Yuck on the ticks! We're fine here, I think it was mostly just street flooding from the 6 hours straight of heavy rain. A lot of places canceled their 4th parties because the parks were muddy and had minor flooding, but overall it was no big deal. I was glad it held off until I was almost home though - a neighbor said the roads were pretty bad when he went in to work yesterday.

QOTD: I think I've told most of you my story already. Was visiting family in November 2007 after working a trade show in Chicago. Mom and sister then drove me to the St. Louis airport (2 hour drive) to go home and my sister told me about our little town having a half marathon the following April. I said I always thought I'd like to run, so she said she'd email me the couch to 5K program she was doing. We agreed to train together via email, then I'd come back in April and we'd run the half. As soon as I got out of the car at the airport, my mom told my sister "she'll never do it." She says she meant I wouldn't come back just to run a race, but when my sister told me what Mom said, I started training. That half was my first race and training for it, I said I had no intention of ever running farther than that, because that would be crazy. After the half, I thought why not, I'd never been in that good of shape before so I might as well run a marathon and ran Baltimore that fall.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Lizziebeerunning

Cupcake Connoisseur

Susan – It is nice to be a bum sometimes!

Sandy – You are going to have to explain to me what water walking is…LOL. I want a drop in humidity!! Haha, we are getting one Sunday! I am sure it wont last long though. I can’t believe you have THAT many emails! Ugh! So tell me where you start. From the top of the list or the bottom?? I start from the top because someone may have already answered the questions or done the work. I know a lot of people who start from the bottom though. Your amputee friend is freakin badass. More badass than the rest of us for sure. LOL at the hot dogs. Does it make it any better that they were all beef hotdogs? I hate pork. YES I do take magnesium -or did – I ran out a couple weeks ago and have been too lazy to hit up CVS. LOL. I think it was mother nature prep…

My running story..hmm..I started about 4 years ago. I started to lose some weight but then got competitive with myself. People started challenging me and telling me about races..and then I was hooked! I actually had an eating disorder pretty hardcore at the time I started. I’d like to say that running saved me. Helped me realize the right foods to eat to fuel my body. It also helped me learn to love my body more…I do have my days, but for the most part I am pretty amazed at what this body can do! On that note..eating hot dogs is a BIG deal in my world. 4 years ago..nope. I stayed within my 4 things that I usually ate that I knew were "low fat". Adding different things in my diet is me being more comfortable in my own skin. They are wins in my book. HCF has helped with that too Smile

Docket – I did not realize you lived in Hawaii! And you OBVIOUSLY do not suck at running, silly. I am jealous of your work schedule.

Kathryn – Have a good time with your mom! FOUR TICKS?! OMG. Ew.

Tessa – I have had some VERY good veggie burgers.

Karen – Nice 7 this morning! Awe, poor Riley! Ruger gets scared but he just comes and sits on our lap. I love your running story Smile

I have been busy since I walked through the door! Ready to go home and relax!

QOTD: 2007 was when I really started.I don't remember why I started running, (other than trying to get in shape/keep my weight down) but I do remember the boyfriend at the time complaining bc I was at the gym every afternoon and he wanted to date someone else.  Hahaha  I won!

I warned DF about running before we even started dating. Didn't scare him off. 

Hi ladies!  Just not much to share lately other than whining about the HOT and DRY conditions here in northern AZ.  It's so bad that almost all the trails are closed, and they are enforced.  Extreme fire risks.  So no fireworks.  I decided to focus on training for month of July so no races till August.

BTW, Gatsybird,  I registered for the Pikes Peak Ascent on Aug. 18, Saturday, Manitou Springs, CO.

My RB from MN (and her BF) are running the Pikes Peak marathon the next day, Sunday.  We are camping at a nice campground from Friday till Monday.  Due to the trails closures, I can't train at higher altitude at the ski resort area.  Bummer!  But I'm getting in some decent altitude and hill running near my home.

DD and the 2 GDs (city girls, from Phoenix) visited us from Mon-Wed.  We reserved a spot at the nearby campground, about 5 miles from the house, and they kept saying they were so 'excited', 'can't wait', 'when are we going?" ......... but we (DH and I) had our doubts.  We took our T@B trailer on Wed night, set it up but kept it hooked up to the truck, and brought my car also. DH stayed home. It was a 'girls night out' HA! He wanted to wash his car to take to the parade in the morning.

So later, in the evening, we all went on a short hike to check out the volcano crater nearby.  The younger GD (5yrs) is afraid of her own shadow, but the older GD (7 yrs) was okay.  I told them everything looks different when it gets dark but they were still gung-ho on staying the night.  We are having dinner at the picnic table when it started getting dark, and then it was a TOTAL MELTDOWN from the younger one.  She wanted to go home (to Phoenix, LOL!!), 'I miss other grandma', 'this is so scary' , etc...... Then older one kept asking what kind of noises occur during the night.  I told her "I don't know because we will be asleep." LOL!!  They pretty much scared themselves out, no help needed from us.  I had a 'back up plan' ......I told DD to take the girls back in my car.  Thus, the reason for a second vehicle. DD was not happy, and I was disappointed but not surprised.

Poor DH, he was hoping it would work out and he would have a 'one guy night out' at the house .........but he had a full house, where the younger one kept wailing and having another tantrum for another hour. She wanted to go back to 'camping' because I set up the bed inside the trailer and she thought it was 'cute.'  I was not going to take them back to the house in the middle of the night .......because I KNOW they will change their mind AGAIN. GOOD GRIEF!!

So DH stayed outside, kept busy by washing his car and ......then mine, LOL!!

DD doesn't really have that much of a disciplinary authority since both girls spend alot of time with the other grandparents and the father.  From my observation, they pasify them by giving in to the kids demands, and taking (literally driving) them to any fast food place that they want to calm them down.  It's really sad, to say the least.

Anyway, trying not to be judgemental .............ugh!

But I stayed the night at the campground, LOL!!  Yes, I did!! I mean it was already paid for ....... LOL!!  It was quiet, spent the night watching the bright stars, took a walk around the area, read my book.  Got up early to watch the sun rise, read again, not much to pack.  Then back at house around 8 am. DH is ready to leave for the parade.  Because of their behavior, DD told the girls they weren't going to the parade.  Of course, that set off another wail-fest!!  Good Lord!!

We said our goodbyes. Older one told me she had a good time hiking with me.  Just melted my heart.  DD had to take the girls back to their father and grandparents who had something planned for them.  This is what they always do and they tell the girls so DD is caught in a dilemma all the time.

DH and I took off, and drove the '57 Buick to the parade, had breakfast.  DD and GDs left around noon.

It was disappointing but hoping we can try again when they are older ........ maybe when they are 30!!! LOL!!

That was my holiday .........

Liz:  I can't wait to hear your reply!!  Be honest. 

I guess someone asked the question when and why each of us started running?

I've always been active, always ran .....since I was young. I started playing basketball in 4th grade, and other sports over the years. This required training and practice which involved what we call 'suicide runs' (sprints on the court). I had a male cousin who ran cross-country and I use to join him, we would run on the dirt roads and hills where we lived.......way before 'trail running' become popular .......and I use to wonder why they didn't have races on the dirt trails?!?  I did run track in grade school and high school, played basketball (and volleyball) through jr and high school, into college. I ran to stay conditioned mostly (with weight training), didn't run races (other than the usual school events) till after college.  My ex wasn't supportive of my running but I kept at it while I still played recreational basketball. Of course, the sprinting on the court for basketball is very different from running distances on the trails but they foster each other which was an advantage during racing.  I kept running and racing through my 2 pregnancies, and working FT while continuing my education. My kids use to follow me on their bikes.  They never picked up on the running, or any other sport except for DD who played volleyball in jr high only.  It never occurred to me to stop, I always found it exhilarating, didn't require alot of equipment which was great because that was $$ I didn't have (I would have LOVE the sports bras of today) and a huge stress reliever.  Helped me cope with my divorce.  Met my current DH who was/is still supportive and used to join me on his bike especially when we lived in Denver. He's more of a walker/hiker. I love the challenge of what my body can endure .....of course, I'm also realistic and take into consideration of my limitations.

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

QOTD:  

At 40 years of age I came to realize that I must exercise to keep weight steady so I did aerobic dancing. I had a cardio background to start.

When we moved here in 1992 I found that they had a TM on the lower floor. A lot of retired ladies gathered there in the mornings and we enjoyed talking and biking, etc. in the room.

Day 1: I ran 5 minutes on the TM, got winded.

Day 2: I ran 15 minutes before I got winded.

Day 3: I ran 45 minutes and never got winded. I thought, “I can do this!” 
                              I wasn't fast but I could easily keep going. I’ve been running ever since that first 5 minutes. 

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

Half Crazy K 2.0

Trying to decide if I want to run or strength train.

QOTD: I played soccer my last 2 years in high school, so had to run for that. I preferred the running part to the actual soccer part, I only joined because my friends did and I needed something to fill time after quitting gymnastics (16 hrs/wk of practices). Then some other high school friends got me into mountain biking, so that was my preferred exercise in college. I did some racing, both road and mountain bikes. When I first moved out on my own, I lived just uphill from Patapsco State Park, so had plenty of places to bike. Then I met DH. Once I moved north of Baltimore, biking seemed dicey, roads had no shoulder. I had to drive to get to trails, which means it ain't gonna happen. So in 2004, I gave running a try. I did my own version of couch to 5k, gradually increasing the run intervals. For several years, I was strictly a spring-late fall runner and did other things during the winter I did my first 5k in 2010 because it gave me points in my company's wellness program and I could earn an extra day off with enough points.