Womens Running

Back to normal Friday (dailies) (Read 17 times)

Kilmisters

The late floorball game and emotions associated with it totally ruined my sleeping schedule, but I am finally back to living in Latvian time zone, haha.

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

''Who needs quads anyway!?'' (c) Damaris

Kilmisters

Commenting on what CC said re: teachers, my former teammate and good friend is a teacher and she has, uhm, a very strong opinion on the fact that after this 3.5 week lockdown the kids are going back to school (instead of remote learning) no matter what (our Minister of Education apparently fought for this in Cabinet of Ministers meetings and eventually got what she wanted).

In other news, a friend of mine is leaving to Poland for a week to live in a, quote, ''normal way, with no restrictions, not this insanity''. I have to be honest, if when this current lockdown ends (Nov14) nothing much will change for vaccinated and it will still be no dining/events, no meetings with ANYONE from other household, no indoor practices allowed and lockdown hours - I am packing my bags and leaving to work from Finland for a week. Honestly, I am an introvert, but I am sure in these 3wks I will go bananas from having no floorball, having to plan when I can do what in order to be back home by 8pm, not being able to meet my friends - not even for an outdoor run - etc. Sure, Finland is a damn expensive country if you're not working there (thus getting a high salary accordingly), but I have my savings for precisely cases like this - spontaneous ''ok, let's do it'' plans. I've been in Helsinki many times, know how the public transportation works, have an app for it and taxi also, almost everyone speaks English, so why not. And it's just 45min flight. Naturally, there's a question re: what to do w minis, but I've discussed this w DH already and he's fine w my plan and even considering to join (so we all would go).

''What will happen if I run up the hills? Ah, volcano muscle soreness!!'' (c) Margaret

kats

WINE o'clock somewhere!

Chilling on the couch. Made it home around 10pm last night. Slept OK and up at 6am. Loved being back in my house and surrounded my my critters. But I loved being back in Europe and could sooooo live there. 

Elina. When do you leave??  I hope you have a good time and enjoy yourself. 

Catch up later!!  

K

Kettle Moraine - June 2024

Beast of Burden - August 2024

Hennepin Hundred - Oct 2024

Javelina Jundred - Oct 2024

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 miles last night on the treadmill. I forgot to move all the crap back that was behind it (boxes and other shit from MIL's apartment). Glad it's Friday.

ccoakley, schools are in such a tough spot. Staffing is a huge challenge and with covid, I think you need to almost overstaff because people are going to be out for close contact situations. That said, you can't even fill the needed positions, so everyone in attendance is stretched. I think there is also a push on some levels for more workplace flexibility & wfh, which is not poosible in some jobs. I do think schools need to reconsider the idea that staff have the be in the building when kids aren't. Sure, require core hours for safety reasons, but outside those, if people are grading papers and on zoom meetings, what difference does their physical location matter? There can also be a really unhealthy "we're all in this together" or "we're a team" mentality in schools--sure, I'm part of a team, but don't use that against me when I express my concerns about an unrealistic workload.

Kilmisters, here there was an initial idea that you close everything but keep schools open. I think this is what was happening in Germany and some other European countries. Not sure if it was all schools or just the youngest kids. The intial saying here was close the bars, open the schools, which got twisted to just open schools. They totally ignored any metrics and strong armed schools to open with threats to teacher's licenses. And now they wonder why they can't find staff

Kilmisters

Elina. When do you leave??  I hope you have a good time and enjoy yourself. 

I will decide based on what happens after Nov14 (end of current restrictions/lockdown). If it won't get much better for vaccinated, I'll start looking for plane tickets & Airbnb ASAP (probably a bit before Nov14 to have better prices/be ready).

Glad to hear you enjoyed Spain, Kat! It will be easier to trick you into a potential Europe FE in future (:

Anonymous Guest

Me and my sanity are hanging in by a thread. Running laps around this RV park (1/3 mile), finding myself lingering when I go to the grocery store, getting easily annoyed, etc. For the most part it's been okay, and thankfully DH and I are pretty good at making each other laugh, but I need a house. And right now I don't have confidence they are going to be done by next week. They were supposed to be doing the fence/yard/sprinkler system this week, but when I drove by there yesterday they hadn't started. Apparently over the counter microwaves are hard to find right now. DH told the contractor we'd close without it as long as there was some contract that said it was coming. I just want a yard, and a place to get mail, and to get all our stuff out of storage, and a normal bed to sleep in, and decent internet.

Anyway, 7 miles yesterday (20 laps) and 4 today (12 laps). I'm running a 5k tomorrow morning and will do a decent warm up and cool down, mainly to get a little mileage in somewhere besides here.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

ccoakley

Kilmisters, sounds like the floorball team is turning out to be a good fit.   Those restrictions are pretty strict, I understand wanting a break.  It's still crazy to me how different the rules can be in different places.

Kats, glad you made it home safely.

HCK, it's so hard right now, I truly think we're witnessing a huge shift in how employment works and hopefully moving towards a more sustainable work/life balance for everyone but it's probably going to be pretty bumpy.

Karen, sorry your nomad lifestyle is continuing on.  Anywhere close by you could go for a few days and stay in a hotel for a break?

When I got up this morning I could barely walk on my ankle and figured my run today was out.  Then after being up for an hr or so and walking to the bus stop etc it felt normal again.  Is this what getting old feels like?  I ended up having an awesome 10mi run but it was rough starting out the day not walking.

We're packing up the car, picking up DD from school and headed to the beach for a quick weekend getaway.  I figure we can get one more nice weather weekend in before it gets too cold.

Happy Friday!!!

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon! Ran 15 outside after PT. That hurt, lol. It was rainy and 50F. Lovely to have no bright bitch in the sky.

Elina, got it. I won't go to Poland were apparently people are crazy. Hold on for these three weeks!

Kat, glad you're home!

HCK, nice run.

Karen, ugh! Nice runs but hoping you don't go crazy with the loops. One more week!

CC, I think so. I have parts (especially the back and ass) that are super sore when I wake up and when I move it goes away. Maybe all you needed was to crack the foot and it did that while walking? Glad it's not bugging you anymore.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page