Womens Running

(Over 40) Willing Weekend (Read 18 times)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

And post

Marjorie

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

6.2 with some race paced miles thrown in. I was aiming for 5 but ended up having time to do more since some faster miles were done. Now hair cut. Dh will take pups to the pool.

Marjorie

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did Pilates and 4 miles last night.  Tonight, 8-10 on the TM.

Marjorie, ouch at the toe!  Glad to hear it did OK today.  I have cut two toes while running, mostly because I didn't cut the toenails short enough, but yours sound so painful, cringe!

Have a great weekend, ladies.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Anonymous Guest

HI all,

Quick check in between runs. I ran my club's one mile race this morning. 2 mile warm up then the race in 6:37. A little disappointed with the time, but I think it should be good enough to keep me in first place in my age group for the series. The race started at 8 with the kids, then the 11+ minute, then 10-11, etc. I had Pilates at 9:30, and it's about 25 minutes from where the race was, so when they got to the 9-10 minute milers and it was 8:52, I went with that heat. I probably would have pushed myself a little harder if I'd been with people my own speed, but oh well.

Anyway, after running all out, then get in my car and sitting for 25 minutes, I hobbled into Pilates. I had that "Pilates shake" going the first time I had my legs in the air. My instructor was just laughing at me. Now I'm procrastinating before heading out for 5 miles to get my 8 for the day.

I guess I made it sound like the house hunting trip was now - it's not until mid-August. In the boy's defense, he has a separate phone for work and can't get his work email/calendar on his personal phone. ExMob is kinda high security, more so than a lot of government jobs I've seen. And bike races usually don't open registration until about a month before, so there doesn't seem to be as much advance planning as there is in running. And I would have liked to do one of the bike races (the time trial his team puts on), but didn't realize it was that weekend.

Morning Marjorie and Damaris!

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Hi all, I am so frustrated... Was really excited about running the Kensington Marathon next Sunday.  Wasn't going to push it as there are no limits posted on their website.  So now this is from their FB event:

• Thomas Hrdina What is the time limit for the half marathon?

<abbr>21 hrs</abbr> · Like

• Susan J. Masten Hopefully none... at least that is what I am counting on for the full!

<abbr>21 hrs</abbr> · Like · 1

• Charlie Stamboulian For the half, the time limit is six hours.

<abbr>2 hrs</abbr> · Like

• Susan J. Masten Charlie Stamboulian so does that mean the full is 7 hours?  (note added here: HM starts an hour later than the full)

<abbr>1 hr</abbr> · Like

• Charlie StamboulianFor the full, runners have to pass the 11.1 mile mark on the course by 2.5 hours. After that there isn't a limit

<abbr>43 mins</abbr> · Like

• Susan J. Masten This does change my strategy. Will push harder in the first half and walk the second if I have to.

But it seems strange that the cutoff pace for marathon is 13:31 (first 11.1 miles) but it is 27:29 for the HM. Not sure that I understand.

Also seems unfair to announce this one week before the marathon. I'm not sure I would have registered had I known this. There is nothing (has been nothing) posted on the website either.

Pisses me off royally.  I figure I can still run it - what can they do to me. Its a public park.  I paid for the race.  And I can still keep walking/running and finish whenever.  But seriously, to announce time limits 7 days before the race is ridiculous!

Bikerchick1

Late check in here for the week-end!

Susan - I agree, seems a little late in the game to be having a time limit....

Karen - Sounds like your headache is gone away!  Sigh is all I can offer re:  DH & calendar....  Hard to believe you are heading to Texas to house hunt!

Damarias - DId you say 8-10 on DM ...good for you!

Marjorie - Sorry about the cut toes.  Nice run today!

Have not committed to Tri this summer, I have 2 that I am looking at, but it seems something always comes up.  Today I rode my bike  to the lake and swam about 30 minutes, about 14 miles round trip of biking.  Knee was tender on thursday so decided to rest it.  Training for Grand Canyon is taking some time too.  We are basically doing a combination ultra/full training plan and are planning three 20 mile trail runs somewhere hilly.  Tomorow we are heading out the first of them.  Since we have to travel for them it really takes the better part of the day. Feel like summer is flying by.

Carol

Hi Carol, sure does.  Where are you doing your hikes?  North Manistee/North Country is 20 miles.  Lots of hills.  Also if you bring water purification tablets or a filter you can get water along the North Manistee trail.  Smile

ginnyb

My DH is just getting on my nerves today!  Too much togetherness lately, LOL!  Nothing in particular, just everything!

Planning on a long run tomorrow, it has rained all day here today, hope weather is better in the morning.

ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

camille2

Susan (runner's mom), I loved the photos of Philmont. Funny thing...my son-in-law mentioned it this week in a conversation about hiking.  I think his brother had done it.  don't remember hearing of it before you started training.  I agree that  it's late notice for a time limit to be posted.

Ginny...it's wonderful that you're having great runs..  You kept training thru winter and it's paying off.  If you feel like sharing a few of those, I'd take them.

Karen, if your hubby can't go sightseeing, you should go anyway.  People are friendly and you'll enjoy it. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Marjorie, nice miles!  Boo on cut toes.

Demaris, you have a great weekend, too!

Lisa, did I say I loved your DWD pics?  They were great. Pretty trail!   I didn't see deer fly pics. Did I miss them or is that a different race?

Carol, 3  20 milers sound like good prep for GC.

Cindy, I enjoy hearing about your kids so much!  Fun times.

DD and SIL have headed to Fairbanks in the RV. We've had a great and busy week exploring this part of the state.  We caught some smallish halibut.  I'll fly up tomorrow to meet them and to bring motorhome back after they fly out.

I rode my old mountain bike for 60-90 min yesterday on the flat paved trails in Seward. I had a great time and like my bike. Since it's old, I don't  mind putting it on the back of the RV, but DD and SIL keep strongly encouraging me to get a road bike.  SIL is from a cycling family.  I'm not convinced yet.

I'll run 8 in a.m.

Karen-then dd will be back in Houston!

Susan-I looked at their site and there's nothing about cut off time.  I'm glad that we are running pretty much the course tomorrow.  You'll know what to expect.  It's primarily small ups and downs with one longer hill but nothing huge and very pretty.  You will do well.  The small downs will help more than the small ups will slow you down.

Ginny-sounds like we need to plan a road trip.  I'll let you know the next Chicago or NY work trip once I have one planned.

Did weight work out this morning.

Lisa

ginnyb

Well I ran 10 miles this morning and felt pretty good.  My calves still get really tired around mile 8, I wish I could fix that.  I did well though.  I am going to run more and more miles, maybe if I get longer runs my legs will feel stronger longer.  Thinking maybe of getting up to 13+.  We will see how that works out.

Twin GD's have their first birthday party today, so going over to my sons' later on today.  Just finished making salsa, first batch of the season.  Not sure how it is going to taste as the tomatoes aren't quite as ripe as I like them.  We don't have local tomatoes yet, they said these were from Tennessee.

Karen...I cannot imagine running a mile as fast as you can!  You really rock!

Camille.  I have been having good runs lately.  Really do not know why, I just hope it keeps up.

Everyone have a great Sunday.

Ginny

http://ginnybess.blogspot.com/

6/8 Hatfield/McCoy Half, 8/18 lake Erie Shores and Islands Half, 9/21 Mighty Niagara Half Lewiston, NY, 10/7 Cleveland Rock & Roll Half 10/6 or Detroit Free Press 10/20, A Christmas Story 5 or 10K Cleveland 12/7, Santa Hustle Half Cedar Point 12/15

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  What a Saturday.  I ended up with 8 on the TM and since my breathing was too exhausted, I finished it there.  Got ready to meet our friend for dinner, went to pick him up in Miami Beach and there were two accidents, two bridges closed, etc., so we spent 1.5 hours in the car just to pick him up.  Then, drove South to Coconut Grove in more stupid traffic and barely made it to the restaurant by 9:30 and they made us wait another 30 minutes.  Getting back to Miami Beach we saw a huge accident on the South side of I95 and the whole highway was closed.  Grrr.  We got home by 1am.  Weird.

Today, I woke up with a slight cold.  Either some miles with hubby, solo, or URD.  If he wants to bike, I think I'll do that and run or do something else afterwards.

Karen, remember it's Summer so the time might have been affected by weather.  Nice job!

Susan, hope your rocking that race today!

Carol, hope you choose a tri that you love.

Ginny, nice 10 today.

Camille, enjoy your day!

Lisa, nice weight workout.

Have a great Sunday.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Happy Sunday, all.  I meant to post yesterday but somehow it didn't happen.  Not a particularly busy weekend -- ran 8 with RC yesterday and planning on 12 today with DH.  Volunteered for our local land trust yesterday at a clean-up day at one of their properties (removing non-native plants).  Dad came for a visit yesterday too so we went out for an early dinner.  And here we are, Sunday already!

Marjorie, great that you could get in more miles yesterday than planned.  For me it's usually the opposite.

Damaris, hope you're enjoying your taper for the SF marathon.

Karen, my DH and I sometimes have calendaring mix-ups since he travels so much, but at least we only have one activity (running) to keep track of.

RunnersMom, listen to Lisa, she knows what she's talking about.  Just go enjoy yourself at Kensington.  Agree that it's unfair to tell you about a time limit only 1 week before the event.

Carol, hope your long trail run today went great.

GinnyB, nice 10 miles today.

Camille, safe travels to/from Fairbanks.

Lisa, hope you have a nice run today.  Sounds like you are running with RunnersMom today?

Hi to everyone else!

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.2. Going to do a bit of yard work. Back later for personals.

Marjorie

Hi all,

Went for an awesome 9 mile run this am with Lisa and her friend David.  They were great - ran the loop at Kensington Park, where the marathon will be next week.  They were both a tremendous help with advice, setting a comfortable pace, and of course, the company.  And a really neat course (I actually liked running it when the lake was encased in mist).  Quite a bit of the trail is new (it is all paved) and part of it still has a sign "Trail Closed".  We and a lot of other people ignored the sign and luckily none of us fell off into an incompleted trail abyss.  Smile  

Waiting to hear back from the race director but supposedly they are going to remove the limit for the first 11.1 miles.  We'll see.  A time limit wouldn't be a problem if it were announced from day 1.  Oh and they took down the FB event page.  Hoping this is not a sign of things to come.  At least the website still exists and was updated today.  No mention of time limits! 

Ginny, so very glad that you've been having awesome runs.  You so deserve it - you've worked so hard to get to where you are.

Marjorie, great job.  Nice that DH will take the pups to the pool!  Smile 

Damaris,   Sorry about the breathing problems and all the issues with traffic.  Glad you were all ok. 

Karen, you are amazing!  Awesome job with the mile run, then Pilates, then another run. Not sure how you do it?

Carol, are you hiking or running across the Grand Canyon?  And how do you cross the Colorado (I'm thinking you're doing rim to rim, but perhaps I am wrong)?  

Camille, Glad you liked the Philmont photos!  Its hard to capture how amazing a trip it was.  I'd love to go back!  This summer the 1 millionth Scout hiked Philmont.  Pretty amazing!  You're the second person I know who is in Alaska right now. A high school classmate of mine has been posting photos.   Hopefully, you'll post some photos.

Gatsby, definitely going to listen to Lisa.  Smile  Sounds like a busy Saturday.  Thanks for helping to remove invasive species.  Its an important and necessary job.

Well better get to reading this independent study report a student of mine turned in.  I'd rather take a nap but....

Susan