Womens Running

Final Friday (Over 40) (Read 213 times)

In November... yeah! Tomorrow is dd's 13th bday and we can start saying "at least it's not November!"  and in this case, "it's the weekend!"

quick trip to Chicago but back in De-troit! Post away!

Lisa

I was all set to run on hotel tm since I was a tad nervous about running out side .. but one more check out window and I saw a person running towards park so quick addition of layers and I headed OUT.  5 miles along Michigan Avenue, a bit in Millenium Park and then along the lakefront. Very nice and many out running.

Judy-sorry the Ghosts aren't working for you. I love them.  Have 4's and 5's.

LisaMarie-you must have asked how long posting on here... I started in 2007 or 8 I think.  Wonderful group of ladies or a very dedicated and authentic seeming group of axe murderers pretending to be menopausal women with running problems. LOL

Camille-the socks will be gift from dd.  I'm afraid she is also getting me Nutella as a gift. I've vowed to never eat it.

Julie-the best strange place to wear a Garmin story was from Miriam (I think) who doesn't post as much on here but does occassionaly on the FB page... she was confused by times when doing laps... part of run was at very fast speed other part was as if she were standing still.  Then she realized that the cruise ship she was runnign them on was also moving and Garmin was either adding ship speed or negating her run speed depending on whether she was running to front or to the back of the boat. I picked up a new IronMan watch (just beeps and tracks time.. no Garmin) for $20 on Groupon earlier this week.  Sometimes the big Garmin seems much or in race situation I don't want it to die on me so this will be actual watch.

KatePups-welcome to the running forum.  It was and still is a shock regarding Karnel's passing. Sad.

Ginny-don't think the half is in my future. money a bit tight and all with my donut sock buying expenditure.  Just keeping it close to home.  I'm sorry. Would be fun and the bling is so cute!!!

Marjorie-silly doggie!

LauraC-streak away!!!

Julia-that is a neat wedding favor.

Linda-wierd on the knee but I have had that happen at times. It never hurts at all just like it forgot what it was supposed to do.

AJ-LOL on eating for 3.. I can do that too!

Karen-there is the option of stupid and crazy.  I'm an HR professional... it does exist. LOL

Amy-If ships can be christened why not you?  :-)

Sue-hope the computer runs better!

Tessa-ProudRunner.com they have french fries, wine, margharita, shark, even a California flag pair of socks.  Very cute. If you are ordering let us know and we'll check if they post a code on FB. the one I used covered shipping; my socks cost $7.50 total.

Heading out to work off some of what I ate.  Kept it fairly healthy until breakfast yesterday.

Lisa

So how do you insert a photo off of Facebook on here?

Lisa

judyruns

Mighty Mouse

Yes! We CAN say "At least it isn't November", although it means more by February. Big grin

Thursday I did 45 minutes on the track, some with coach and some with Fast Buddy. It was a good run. The outside runners are starting to converge at the track. It’s been fun renewing friendships with other runners. One is a Marathon Maniac.

Today will be a track run. Fast Buddy is supposed to show up.

Happy runs, All!  :::hug:::

Where is the "any" key?   

judyruns

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Heading to run. New pair of Blurrs on my feet. The others are beyond dead at 627.2 miles. Tis time for new ones for sure.

Marjorie

Disney freak

Yesterday was so busy!  When I finally did get to sit down, I ended up doing some reading on upping my calories to lose weight.  I have been working out so much (5-6 days a week) and feeling more fatigued than energized.  I have also been hungry alot, so I think I haven’t been fueling my body properly.  The reading I did was interesting, so I am going to try it for a month and see how I feel and how it affects my weight loss and my energy level.

Thursday’s exercise: Jazzercise.  Some serious strength training included.  I worked up quite a sweat.

Today: run scheduled with 0.8 mile intervals/300 yards walking (4 times)

Judyruns: I’m with you on the salad mix.  I buy the pricey stuff (butter mix) and it doesn't last longer than 2 days.

Ginny- you said you had inservice yesterday.  Are you a teacher, too?

Majorie – glad Hammy is feeling better. It’s no fun when your babies are in pain.

Julie_D – good for you taking the morning off.  I did it the other day when I had a bad head cold, and it helped immensely.

Katepups1970 – is 1970 your birth year?  It’s mine...February 1st...

Julia – naps are good.  I know that on the days I run after work, I can fit in a 5-10 minute one and it makes my run SO much better.

Linda – knee still feeling okay today?

ajdx5 – running, food, and wine.  Sounds like a great combo to me.  Taking care of health, body and soul.

Karen – I think you are right.  I am definitely going to take the day off before.  Especially until I get in better shape!

Amy – even after he graduates, you’ll still be Tar Heel Mom.  Most people consider themselves  to still be a “whatever”  even after they graduate!

Crazysue – I’ll come hook up your computer for you.  Where bouts do you live?

Tessa – I’d count the food pantry as strength training.  Did you pick up the heavy ones?

Off to wake up the DH and jump in the shower.  YAY it's Friday!

Lisa Marie

• first 5K on 12/8/12 - 39:14
              • first 10K on 1/12/13 - 1:23:45
              • upcoming races: Hypnotic Donut Dash - 1/26, Hot Chocolate 5K 2/9, Rock n Roll half relay 3/24
              • training for Big D half on 4/14
              LC Runs

Good Morning and TGIF!!

6.1 windy miles for me today, same route as yesterday (routes are pretty limited in the dark).  Supposed to get a wintry mix later, but I had no issues this morning.

Lisa - Happy early Birthday to your DD tomorrow!!  Nice 5 miler Smile

Judy - glad you're re-meeting winter running friends!

Marjorie - yeah for new shoes.  Who makes Blurrs??

Hi Lisa Marie - trying to figure out the right calories is tough, I have been trying to track on Caloriecount.com.  I have been posting on RW since about 2006, though mostly on the Beginner Forum.  Moved to the Masters and then Womens over the past couple of years

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Laura they are Asics. I love them. The last pair were Blurrs too. Did 10.3 so 328.5 for the month.

Marjorie

katepups1970

Good Morning!

Thanks for the information on Karnel.  Wow, what a sad story.  I lost my Mom when I was 10 (she was 43 -pancreatic cancer) so similar but my Mom was sick for a long time so it wasn't a shock like Karnel. 

Lisa-Marie  - yes, I was born in 1970 (August)!  I have been running since ~ 2004 due in large part to Runners World (RW) magazine!  I had been going to the gym for years prior to that but didn't try running until I started to get RW - tried it since it was free (credit card promo or something??).  I did my first 1/2 marathon in 2007 - Disney, but ran/walked it due to some foot pain.  I finally ran an entire 1/2 in April 2011 - Nashville Rock-n-Roll (great race and City!!)  My husband and I did the Runners World 1/2 in October (2012) in Bethlehem, Pennsylvannia.  It was fantastic - great day of seminars (fun to meet people who edit and write the magazine), great race and weather, and very fun 'small town' to explore.  I live in Buffalo, NY and Bethlehem Steel was here too (started in Beth, PA) so the steel history was very interesting.

I am married with two pups - a 12 year old beagle mix and a 6 yr old golden retriever - both 'rescues' from the SPCA. No two-legged kids, just the four-legged.

I typically run in the evening after work - typically two nights a week and one weekend AM run (~ 5 to 6 miles each except when prepping for 1/2 mara.).  I also go to spin class ~ 2 times/week (love it!) and take the pups on long walks 2 evenings per week.

All for now - have a great FRIDAY!

~Kate

runlikeagirl18

Hi ladies-

I wanted to duck in for a quick post. No run for me today; tomorrow is my half. I'm feeling pretty good about it - if I can manage my pacing properly I think I can go sub-2:00. No time for personals right now. My aunt and uncle are coming for a quick overnight visit, and my house is a wreck, so I'm cleaning like a madwoman. It's amazing how much mess three small boys can make. Hope the BBL  to check in with everyone. Have a great day-

Cindy

2017 Races: Turkey Strut 5K 11/23, Mistletoe Half Marathon 12/2

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Lisa, I knew when I saw Final Friday you getting ready to be rid of November!

Here's how to upload a photo from FB. Right click on the photo and select "open new window." Use the URL in that window to insert in the box from this website that comes up when you click the picture icon. Then just hit insert. 

7.27 this morning. Intended something longer but I had to turn around and go home because my hands hurt so bad from the cold. It was 34, nothing for you northern girls, but I am not used to it anymore. I will be looking for new gloves today.

I love the training log here. I put in my route and it gives me the mileage and the hill profile. Wow, I ran some hills today!

Good luck tomorrow, Cindy!

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

RunningSister

Favorite Sister of All!

Good morning!

MMR--I think Karen posted 2-3 days ago about how to get a pic from FB to RA--I am pretty slow at that stuff!!  This was her post:

For pictures, I used a picture from facebook yesterday. If you want to share a picture from there, open the pic, right click and choose Copy Image URL, then paste that URL into the box here. An easy way to get a pic here is to use this site: http://tinypic.com/. You just choose your file off of your computer, then upload. It will spit out several URL formats, but just choose the bottom one "Direct Link for Layouts". Apparently in the little box here you have to put in the URL and also fill in the Image Description box. I tried it out with this pic from the Cody's Crew 5K (the first time it didn't work because I didn't put anything in the description box:

Love the Garmin story--forgot all about that!  That's a nice deal on the socks and they are awesome!!

Marjorie--That is some serious mileage on those shoes!!  I don't get that many miles anymore! 

Kate--Great to have you here! I, too, only have 4-legged children--2 cats and 1 is bigger than a lot of dogs!!  My very first HM was Disney in 2000 then my second was RNR Nashville in 2005--loved that race and the town. Hope to do the full there sometime!  I love spinning mostly because the instructor plays awesome music and is so full of energy--I go at 0530 once a week or so depending on my work schedule.  I went to college in Allentown and hope someday to get up there to run the RW HM.  I live in Orlando now and love it!  I have been sporadically posting since 2008 but got fed up with RW and spam--I am on RA everyday pretty much either logging workouts or checking up on friends and family  This is way more convenient for me.

Judy--have a great run with FB!!  How many miles does the Maniac do on the track?  That could make me dizzy!

Lisa-Marie--Funny how running changes how we have to eat!  My legs have been soooo tired lately--I think I need more protein and I just don't like protein all that much--fat and carbs are way more fun  <sigh>  I probably need to run more hills, tooShy  I never used to be a nap person, but I am trying to get rest so I can run stronger LOL

Cindy--Good luck tomorrow and run strong!  Sounds like you are very ready for a great race!  Looking forward to your RR!  Enjoy your family visit!

LCRuns--Nice job on the windy 6+ miles

THM--LOL--I wore mittens for Philly and it was a lot warmer than 34* so no need to explain.  WTG on the miles especially with the pain.  I have always liked this site for logging and posting!  Hope the hands are warmer now and have a great day!  So great following you on DM as well!

OK--so I am clearly getting older and have a lot less stamina.  I am so exhausted already from work and I have 4 more days to go.  Got up this am only because the cats were clearly starving-LOL-and they eventually became relentless!  Came here next and will probably clean a little, do laundry and then nap before another long day at work.  Looking forward to 16 miles tomorrow with RB#1--we haven't run together in ages it seems-will be a great way to start the day!

Happy running and will check in laterCool

Julia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Keep Running! Cross the finish line! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Lisa yes where you stayed in Chicago there are tons of runners!  Glad you went out.

Judy nice run

Lisa Marie yes it is a bit odd that upping calories sometimes helps you to lose weight.  All checks and balances and that funny metabolism

I've been on the forum for 2.5 years running on and off since 1989.

Kate thanks for sharing your story.

Cindy good luck on the sub 2

Amy it always amazes me how much colder it is there sometimes when you aren't that far from me.  It was low 40s here when I ran and since the sun wasn't up I opted for long sleeve tech but did wear shorts.  My hands did get a bit chilled but not terrible.

Julia I pushed the miles just a bit on the shoes.  Probably 20 too much but oh well.  I was hoping to do today's in them but they are really shot so I did put on new ones.  as to the lack of stamina, imagine all those people that don't exercise or eat well!  I bet it is really tough for them!

Marjorie

Julie_D

Fire Jumper

Good morning, Ladies - 

Jingle Bell Race tomorrow.  I have my red turtleneck (not cotton), white scarf, and red running jacket ready to go!  I'm thinking about splurging for the red (or white) headband and some cheap red (or white) gloves.  I think it's going to be fun.  

Lisa - the Garmin on the cruise ship story is hilarious!  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the GPS thing.  Right now, I think I'm just going to have to be content with what I have on my iPhone - as much as I would SOOO like the geeked-out Garmin with all of the bells and whistles.  Jeeze.  I don't do delayed gratification very well :0

Is there an inside story to the November thing?  

Hi Judy and Marjorie... fellow track runners! 

Lisa-Marie - good for you on reading up body fuel.  When I first discovered that I have hypoglycemia, I had to increase my caloric intake before, during and after exercise.  It scared me to death because I had just lost a large amount of weight and didn't want to sabotage myself.  As it turned out, increasing my caloric intake at the right time (before, during and after exercise), caused me to drop a few more pounds.  Counter-intuitive to me, but it happened.  

LC - is that a Warrior Dash picture that I see in your avatar?  Nice 6+

Kate -  I don't have two-legged kids either.   Just a DH and a fur baby (a red Standard Poodle named Jazzie).  

Cindy - I've got my pom poms out!!  

Amy - I'm kind of a Northern girl, and there's nothing fun about running in 34 degrees.  If I didn't have gloves at that temp, I'd be in trouble. 

Julia - Neat to see that you live in Orlando.  I will be visiting my #1 RB at The Villages in February and we are going to be running the Central Florida Warrior Dash together.   We're signed up for the 9:30 wave if you'd like to join us!  woo hoo! 

I saw y'all talking about miles on shoes.   What's the good rule of thumb for getting the new pair?  I have about 240 miles on mine.  

Have a great day!

Julie

5K's and Obstacle Runs

Goal for 2013:  10K

Icebreaker Challenge 5K, Girls on the Run 5K, Friehofer's Run for Women 5K, Hero Rush, Warrior Dash Florida, Warrior Dash Eastern NY, Turkey Trot,  Mud Mania, and yet-to-be-decided goal 10K.

Anonymous Guest

Hey all,

I was going to say good morning, but by the time I finish this it will be afternoon (it's 11:57 right now). I'm going to take a complete rest day today. I've been kind of dragging lately, plus racing the Annapolis Half tomorrow. Yesterday's rest day turned into trying out my new bike trainer, so 45 minutes of pedaling.

Lisa, I'm glad you decided to run outside in Chicago. If you're staying anywhere downtown, it's well worth it to forgo the TM and run along the lake. I was there for a Saturday-Sunday trade show a couple years ago and had an 18-miler on the schedule, so I flew in early Friday morning, set up our display at McCormick Place, and then ran from there along the lake all the way through downtown and Lincoln Park (I think that's the name anyway, my Chicago geography is kinda sketchy) and back. Definitely nicer to run north than south. And happy birthday to DD!

Lisa-Marie, it seems like weight management should be so easy, but it's not. I count calories on a daily basis (I use myfitnesspal) to keep me honest, but I can eat a day's worth of calories of crap and be bitchy and hungry, or I can eat a day's worth of good food and be full. But still wanting my ice cream. And it seems like everyone is different too. What works for one person doesn't always work for another. Good luck and I hope you figure out what works best for you.

Marjorie, wow, that's a lot of miles. I find that after about 300 miles on most of my shoes, I start to feel it in my shins. Lucky you to be able to get that many miles on yours!

Laura, glad you haven't yet been relegated to the TM. Another good 6 for you.

Kate, no kids here either, except my spouse and dog. The boy is an avid cyclist, the dog is a lazy almost-12 yellow lab. I've never done spin class, but I will ride my bike on the trainer usually once a week, sometimes twice a week during the winter months. I am trying to get used to my new bike (I had a road bike, just got a tri bike as an early Christmas present).

Cindy, good luck tomorrow! You can go sub-2. Just don't wear yourself out cleaning today!!

Amy, that sounds rough. Don't you have Reynaud's? Have you tried mittens instead of gloves? May look kinda funny running in mittens, but growing up in the Midwest I learned they are warmer than gloves.

Julia, if moving to RA means we get to hear from you more often, then it was worth it just for that! Have a good long run tomorrow. And if I had your work schedule, I don't know if I'd be able to accomplish anything else but sleeping and eating. I have become quite rigid in my 8-5 work schedule (and 8-12:30 on Friday). If it doesn't get done in that time frame, it waits until the next day. Hope I can find people willing to put up with that when we move to TX in a couple years, if I look for a job at all.

Julie, sometimes you remind me so much of myself. Did you know that for awhile this summer I had three different running garmins? I eventually gave one away, but still have two. They have different advantages.....probably good that we don't have kids to put through college. 

Okay, almost time to pack up and go. Heading to Annapolis to pick up my packet for tomorrow, then a trip to Sam's Club. 

karen

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel