Womens Running

Frosty Friday Supermoms (Read 352 times)

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

Lee - J is such a sweet kid - love it! I'm done with my company also, and am almost eager to go back next year so I can start looking elsewhere.

becky - way to go running with a cold! UGH on the gummies for breakfast. DH's just don't think sometimes.

simone - have you tried a chiro for your hip/leg? It helps mine a lot when that happens. LOL on the alley naming! Booo on the flight delay and the mcdonalds, there should be laws against that!

spike - M is always trying to boss the dogs around but they don't listen to her. Awesome job on the mileage!

rocky - booo on the DH issues Sad you deserve so much better. Booo on the medical bills.

bermy - I'm not doing any parties this xmas - I'm out of touch with my work because I'm on leave, I'm ok with that ,DH's will do one in January as work is too busy to take a night for a party. My parents will come the week before xmas and we'll spend time with them. Looking forward to that.

uphill - boo on the bad night for the toddler Sad I hope he feels better.

Jen - wow on the TM miles, I'd have lost my mind long before 10! Enjoy the night away!

mer - I think you'd do alright with a second... every kid is different but take your time and do it when you're ready.

Lee - LOL on jandro being Manny - He does seem like that Smile Love it, it will also make me LOL when I watch modern family from now on.

re stroller calories - that makes sense on a flat route, but if you keep a good pace up hills it must burn more, I know my HR goes up as I push the stroller up, it adds intensity to my workout.

5k - 22:56        10k - 46:13          HM - 1:45:39          FM - 3:57:03

Blog: http://terryruns.wordpress.com/

superspike113

Honorary Old

So the doctor's office called and said my throat culture they took on 11/26 was negative for strep but positive for a different bacteria so they want me to take zithromax. Should I? That culture was 11 days ago and I'm over my cold. Granted I'm still a tad gunky. I don't like taking an RX unless necessary.

zorbs- I think this will be the first week that I hit 20 since the Dr. told me he wanted me to do that a month or more ago.

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

spike - I wouldn't - most antibiotics for cold type illnesses are to prevent a secondary infection like pneumonia  which you obviously don't have, so I'd say your body fought it fine on it's own.

superspike113

Honorary Old

CA- the dog doesn't listen to R unless its along the lines of "come dog, I have food for you!" (obviously he's not that articulate, but he and the dog can understand eachother when it involves waffles).  I can't pat myself on the back for the mileage yet, I still have to put in 3 more runs to hit that, but my "plan" is to hit 20 by the end of the weekend LOL

2 Mile: 17: 11   5k PR: 27:45    5 Mile: 44:11    10K: 59:01    Half: 2:15:59     Marathon: 5:50:07

strollermama

jmiller - My DH has terrible selective hearing.  I will point out a restaurant while we are driving and the next time he will point it out like he has never seen it before!

uphill - I just started charting temps this month and mine were all over the place.  I don't think they told me much at all for this month. 

lee - Too funny about the daycare.  If I didn't like kid, I am not sure a daycare would be the place for me.  In fact. I even like kids and I don't think I would want to run one!

I had more personals but forgot them because there are so many posts today!

RG - Your mileage is inspirational.  One day...

RR update:  ended up doing 5.5 run/walk with the stroller.  Feeling a little run down.  Not sure if it's the cold or running 9 yesterday.

5k - 21:32  FM - 3:27:40

Zorbs

beskirted & manicured

I was curious so I googled and this is what I found: http://www.livestrong.com/article/321763-calories-burned-running-with-stroller/

Look at the data they listed.  They said a 150 pound person burns 189 calories/15 min  A 180 pound person burns 226 calories/15 min. OF COURSE a heavier person burns more calories, if a person runs faster, they will also burn more calories.  Lastly, OF COURSE people burn calories while running, that is not the issue.  The issue is how many more calories, if any versus running without a stroller.  There is nothing in the article that compares the 2.  I saw that article too and thought it to be total bullshit.

5K - 24:10 | 8K - 40:41  | 10K - 51:40.6 | HM - 1:51:10 | 30K - 2:44:54 | Marathon - 3:59:26

http://runningskirtsandmanicures.blogspot.ca/ 

runswithrocky

Spike - if you're feeling better, then I probably wouldn't take the antibiotics either.  I'm normally some sort of gunky most of the winter anyway.  I hope you hit 20 min this week!

Leeleeche

berry - My MIL is a huge help so I can look passed the "living with your MIL" part. It is not easy though, I tell you. She is a packrat and she is very messy in the kitchen. She is very good about keeping her piles of stuff in her room but she literally will not throw anything away. Even if it is something in the fridge that she cooked that is moldy. It drives me nuts! She keeps jars and cans and boxes that are empty. She even takes stuff out of the trash. DH gave her hell about it last time so I'm not sure if she will do it again but I seriously almost died. I had a bag of clothes in the living room to take to good will last week and when I went to take it to my car it was gone. I found it in her room and she said she wanted to ask her other son if there was anything he wanted before we gave it away. There was nothing he could have used in that bag. Sorry for the rant, I just want to warn you that even if your MIL is awesome, she will still bug you if you live with her. I have to say though, I love that the kids get to see her every day. She is an amazing grandmother and they get so much from her.  She is the opposite of my which is a good thing because I am not maternal at all. I have learn my mistakes with the dentist. I didn't take DS until he was 4 and he had a ton of problems by then. Now I push tooth brushingand fluoride rinsing and I am religious about cleanings. My dad was a dentist so I rebelled against it as a kid. I'm hoping that never happens.

Jen -aka treadmill goddess! Nice job! I would have lost my mind after mile 3. I am not worthy!!!

mer - argg, I can't find you. That is one thing I don't like about this site. Our posts are so spread out it is hard to find them. Hope everything is going well!

BermyHorse

zorbs - LOVE THE PLANKS VIDEO – So plank with elbows out further, narrow base, squeeze glutes and pelvic tilt. I knew squeezing my butt had something to do with it! The guy on the video used about 900 parts of the body that I would not be able to identify on my own body. And no camels for me. Not for a beginner anyway. Camels are WAY TOO unpredictable. I consider myself plank educated and tomorrow I am putting all those tips into practice.

I just had a naughty thought. I just looked up hal higdon's advanced 1 fm programme for the Nashville country music marathon in April. Training would start in 2 weeks. Just putting this out there. Thoughts anyone?

uphill- I am not temping. DH is very keen to TTC, I blow hot and cold. I am enjoying running hard too much right now.

5K 21.12   10K 50:12   HM 2:07   FM 3:50:31

CARunningGirl

Bad Ass Mother Runner

Bermy - DO IT!!  I'm starting a HM program Jan 1, and will hopefully do a FM next fall. 

Leeleeche

spike - no friggen way would I take the RX! I am a big believer in allowing our own bodies to remember how to fight stuff. 

So here is my question related to the calories burned question. If I run a mile in 12 minutes at 70% of max HR and some of you run a mile in 10 minutes or 7 minutes at 70% of max, are we burning the same calories? I would assume that I would burn more per mile since I am at the same effort running for a longer time. I wear my HR monitor often and it usually ends up being about 115 calories per mile during a long run. I know that the 100 calories per mile is just a guideline and that weight, fitness and efficiency has an affect (effect?). 

jmmiller

Zorbs: The article isn't comparing the 150 lb person to the 180 lb person. Its just telling us how many calories they burned pushing a stroller. There's no comparison.   I agree with the thread you posted that on a flat or downhill surface you will not burn any more calories than running without the stroller.  If you are running on a hilly road you definitely burn more.  Just the arm workout alone to push the stroller up a hill adds calories you would not otherwise have. 

5K - 21:44     10K - 44:54     15k - 1:09:37     HM - 1:39:05   Marathon - 3:28:48

twinmom_112002

http://www.livestrong.com/article/526843-do-you-burn-more-calories-running-fast-or-slow/

My rule of thumb has always been a mile is a mile is a mile. I know that I burn approximately 98 calories per mile. Doesn't matter how fast I get there. I run only because I don't have time to walk the same distance (well that I and I get bored to easily).

superspike113

Honorary Old

I'm with twinmom. The difference in calorie burn between the different workouts is going to be minute. You probably burn more calories when running intervals, but you burn less when you are resting in between and you don't run as far as a long run. It all averages out- I usually estimate 90-100 calories for each mile I run with or without a stroller. For me, the biggest thing I have noticed since starting running with a stroller is that my form has improved- I think it makes you keep your core more stable and I have gone from being a heel striker to a midfoot striker.

Lee- My MIL is OCD clean, so when she comes to stay with me, she makes me feel like I live in filth because even though my house is quite clean, hers is absolutely immaculate. She even replaced my toilet seat while I was at work one time because she thought my existing one was old and icky.

superspike113

Honorary Old

Bermy- I would run another marathon if I didn't work.  However since I wasn't even able to hit the 30 mpw I planned and DNF'd in my last half training cycle, I don't think a marathon is on the books for me until my kid (and future kids) are a little older.  Halves are my favorite, but I definitely have marathon #2 on my bucket list because i have some unfinished business with the distance. So, I guess what I'm saying is Go for it! You are in awesome shape right now and have had access to an amazing coach so you should definitely do it.